Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worn Bayonet Lens Hoods

I've encountered a minor but annoying problem with lens hoods. The bayonet hood for my 55-300, and to a lesser extent the hood for my 17-70 Sigma no longer stay reliable attached because the little plastic nubs that lock the hood into position have worn down. The hood for the 55-300 in particular barely stays in place, to the extent that I'm planning to replace it with a collapsible rubber thread-on hood. It would be more difficult to replace the petal-hood of the 17-70. Have others experienced this problem? I'm a fierce advocate of slide-forward hoods for any/all telephoto lenses, such as the one on the discontinued Pentax 135 f2.8 and 400 f5.6.

04-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The one time I had a problem with the 16-45mm hood, I put a small dab of crazy glue on the 3 points around the ring of the lens where it locks in place - worked like a charm - just let it dry first! It then acts like a small bump to hold the bayonet; was a little tighter but worked perfectly.
04-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The one time I had a problem with the 16-45mm hood, I put a small dab of crazy glue on the 3 points around the ring of the lens where it locks in place - worked like a charm - just let it dry first! It then acts like a small bump to hold the bayonet; was a little tighter but worked perfectly.
Interesting, and rather a bold move. I'd be happier putting glue on the hood, as your suggestion immediately conjured images of a great glob of glue trickling down across the front element of the lens....shudder!
04-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you get the fine tip small glue applicators they really don't dispense very much without a lot of effort. Just don't squeeze too hard! I assume it would work on the hood as well, but it would be more difficult to apply.

04-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Banned

you could use some of this stuff. it seems to be used for pretty much everything. a tiny amount to 'rebuild' the worn down plastic should work like a charm.

Home improvers | sugru | Hack Things Better
04-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with the lens hood on my DA 16-45 F4 lens. My solution was using my wife's glue gun that she uses for her hobbies. The glue melts at a low enough temperature so it doesn't melt the hoods plastic and it dries clear. Put a drop on each of the nubs on the hood and it should work fine. I redo it about once a year or so to keep the fit nice and tight.
04-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for several suggestions. The "sugru" looks like an interesting product, with many potential applications, but for the tiny dot required to lock on a hood glue may be better.

04-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard, acrylic nail polish can also be used to build up the hood bayonet fittings.

H2
04-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for several suggestions. I think the 55-300 hood is back in working order using a form of "super" glue. However, considering how cheap they are, a collapsible 58mm rubber hood is on my 2-buy list. The order is being delayed until there are a few more items on the list to avoid extra potential shipping charges.
04-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a good idea that shouldn't frighten people away just because its super glue. Having built static plastic plane models in the past, I know that super glues, if left on their own after application will dry very hard and bond permanently to the plastic surface they are applied to. While some glues are very watery, others are sold as "thicker" or "run-free" and those will give you a nice dollop of glue where you apply it, saving the need to build up coats to form a bump. You'll have an instant dimple that will surely make those lens hoods cling. Good idea!