Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Best things to shoot for a lens review?

I'm trying to think of things to shoot outdoors that would best show off a lenses sharpness, CA and bokeh. Does anyone have any suggestions that they'd be willing to share?

04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brick walls, test charts, and test setups. Take a look at some of our lens reviews for examples

Pentax Lens Reviews | Pentax in-depth reviews | PentaxForums.com

If you don't want to have to print a chart every time, here's a good one that we used for the Tamron 90mm comparison:
DSC Labs Pocket CamFocus Test Chart PCF B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by srn121 Quote
I'm trying to think of things to shoot outdoors that would best show off a lenses sharpness, CA and bokeh. Does anyone have any suggestions that they'd be willing to share?
I shoot tennis nets - very contrasty and very very detailed...
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

How about a stop sign from 50 yards? Or 200 yards? Has sharp lettering.....or the ever exciting brick wall from various distances/focal lengths, and various f-stops.

04-05-2012, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good looking women.
04-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Good looking women.
LOL, that makes the viewing of the review more interesting most definitely, and distracts from any flaws in the lens as well
04-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The problem with "test subjects" are that they do not necessairly show real world results.

While I will admit i use uniformly lit block walls and paved surfaces to test exposure / aperture consistency and vignetting, but I post analyzed results, such as exposure vs aperture charts or light fall off as you move out of the frame, as opposed to the images themselves.

I look at shooting real subjects for much of the rest of my evaluation.

Brick walls are no good for distortion because most have some variation between courses. In fact, the lens correction plug in that i use (PTlens, who also make lens profiles for their software and users) actually will not accept shots of brick / block walls as acceptable targets, preferring steel and glass buildings.

For me, I just have an inability to translate shooting charts and targets into real image impacts on a lens.
04-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had an idea for a test target -- which I haven't built yet because I'm a lazy sod, but what the hell -- anyway, it's something like this:

Print a big test chart, like about 60x90cm / 2x3 feet. Cut a big hole in the middle. Mount the chart in a frame. Put a lifesize manikin's head (with a grid drawn on it) in the hole. Put a speckled-plastic sheet behind the head, and a light behind that. Illuminate the front of this assemblage from about a 45 degree angle.

Now, with one frame-filling shot, we can judge edge and center sharpness, edge distortion, center rendition, and bokeh.

Yeah, I might build this one of these days. It could happen.

04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The problem with "test subjects" are that they do not necessairly show real world results.
This is true. A test subject will only show how well the lens does with that subject. But merely because a lens does well with a brick wall at ten feet doesn't mean it will do well shooting a person's face or a bridge or Half Dome. A lens may be sharper at ten feet than it is at 30 feet. Or it may have decentering problems that are only noticeable at longer distances. A lens may do fine in soft light but may really struggle in bright/harsh light. It may flare all over the place when the sun hits the lens at one type of angle but do fine at other angles. The fact is, you have to throw all kinds of "real world" situations at a lens to figure out what it can do in the real world.
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I had an idea for a test target -- which I haven't built yet because I'm a lazy sod, but what the hell -- anyway, it's something like this:

Print a big test chart, like about 60x90cm / 2x3 feet. Cut a big hole in the middle. Mount the chart in a frame. Put a lifesize manikin's head (with a grid drawn on it) in the hole. Put a speckled-plastic sheet behind the head, and a light behind that. Illuminate the front of this assemblage from about a 45 degree angle.

Now, with one frame-filling shot, we can judge edge and center sharpness, edge distortion, center rendition, and bokeh.

Yeah, I might build this one of these days. It could happen.
I had an idea for a target too, but with the intent of semi real world shots so lenses could be compared without having any too shooters actually on the same continent (perhaps plant) by building a specifically specified lego land scene. that way everyone could do comparative tests (as long as th ecolor quality of lego is consistent enough)
04-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Good looking women.
LOL, that makes the viewing of the review more interesting most definitely, and distracts from any flaws in the lens as well
I was obviously joking about the women, but in seriousness I do wish that the camera/lens review sites would include more portraits in their test shots; pretty women or otherwise. Two sites I read most frequently for lens reviews, DPReview and Photozone.de, always include a lot of great landscape and scenery test shots, but rarely feature portraits.

I take more portraits than anything else, so when I get a new lens, the first thing I do is starting shooting pictures of my kids, rather than shooting brick walls or test charts. A lens that doesn't seem that impressive shooting a black-and-white test chart wide open, can still produce very nice results when shooting a real-world subject wide-open.
04-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I was obviously joking about the women, but in seriousness I do wish that the camera/lens review sites would include more portraits in their test shots; pretty women or otherwise. Two sites I read most frequently for lens reviews, DPReview and Photozone.de, always include a lot of great landscape and scenery test shots, but rarely feature portraits.

I take more portraits than anything else, so when I get a new lens, the first thing I do is starting shooting pictures of my kids, rather than shooting brick walls or test charts. A lens that doesn't seem that impressive shooting a black-and-white test chart wide open, can still produce very nice results when shooting a real-world subject wide-open.
I think this is where typical photos come in, not just flowers cats (pets in general) or targets, but focal length appropriate and focal length to subject distance appropriate shots.

If you are getting a lens for portraits, then it should be portraits, shot relitively close, to show how it performs. although some may want the lens for other uses, and other focusing distance shots are relevant, evaluating a portrait lens by using a landscape scene is useless. As a result the test subject needs to be changed based upon the lens's principle use.