Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 dc macro os hsm?

Hi all - I have a question that might hopefully be easily answered by those more knowledgeable than myself (I could not find any threads discussing this, so apologies if I missed them).... I just purchased the above mentioned lens (the mailman has it in transit as I write this, yay) as an upgrade to the kit lens for my K-r. The reviews all seem generally positive and compared to the new price on the pentax 17-70 it was really quite a bargain (thanks in part to a gift card as well).

Anyway, I am wondering what difference there might be between using the OS on the lens compared to the SR in camera on my K-r? Is one inherently better than the other? Is there any benefit that one has over the other in different situations? I am thinking it might be a wash between the two and should probably stick to the in camera SR, but could be horribly wrong and there are a benefits to the OS on the lens that I am not even aware of? What do any others use who have this lens?

Thanks in advance!!

04-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Either have SR on or OS on, but never both.

I'll usually leave OS off and use in body SR. I have heard that for movie mode though, OS is better.
04-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned earlier, you should not use together the lens OS and camera SR. Switch off one of them.

There was an interesting article with solid technical data on the effectiveness of lens OS versus camera SR:
Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!

The main point was:
"The bottom line on the Olympus E-520's IS system is that it turned in a superb performance, very much on par with the best lens-based IS systems".

Some may argue that the lens OS/IS is more convenient because the view finder provides you with an image-stabilised view. Others argue that the camera SR is a better option allowing the use of lighter non-OS lenses, while you do not need to switch on or off the camera SR everytime you switch lenses.

Personnally I chose Pentax over Canikon for the camera SR, enabling lighter lenses with a great variety of vintage lenses.

Hope that the comment may help.
04-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use OS when I put on the 17-70. I find OS to be slightly better than SR, and you don't have to wait for the stupid hand to show up. Although I almost never use that lens after acquiring a set of primes. I might use it if I expect my lens to get bumped or going into a hostil enviornment.

04-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
db3

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies... all are helpful!
I guess ultimately I will end up just figuring out what works best for me as I use it (and avoid using both at the same time ).