Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Availability of Pentax 31mm?

I think that I've convinced myself to pick up a 31mm F1.8, as my last "big" lens purchase for a while. (The 35mm F2.0 probably makes more sense, but I know that I'd always be yearning for the 31!) Unfortunately, I didn't pull the trigger when Beach Camera had it in stock (they ran out right as I was about to!), and I fear that they may not get any more before the rebate ends. Furthermore, I fear the rebate on that lens may not last, either - there were a lot fewer lens rebates this time around than last! (I'm glad I got my 10-17mm when I did!)

Yes, BH and Adorama have it, but for a little more than I'd really like to spend ($870), plus they will charge for shipping and tax, the latter alone will tack on somewhere around $70! Unfortunately, there don't seem to be many good places to buy lenses outside of New York State.

Abe's of Maine claims to have it in stock for $850 w/free shipping, but their store ratings are pretty lousy so I'd prefer not to buy from them if I can avoid it.

Anyone else know a good place to buy online that's not in NYS, or have some insider info to know if we should expect to see more 31mms in the stores within the next couple weeks?

Thanks!

01-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First of all, you will not regret buying this lens. I bought mine from B&H, but thankfully live outside of NYC, avoiding tax. I would recommend keeping an eye on the marketplace here for a used one -- they have been showing up with some regularity recently.
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As I've read, this 31mm f/1.8 is a bit of an inside thing with Pentax users. Even the quiz over at pentaxian.com points to this lens a couple of times. Why is that?
01-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #4

I got mine from Abe's about a month ago with no problems. Shipped the next day, they did call me to "confirm" the order & try to sell me a filter & extended warranty but the lens was in stock & arrived quickly.
BTW.... everything you have read is true, that is a great lens, you will not regret it.

Cheers

01-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
First of all, you will not regret buying this lens. I bought mine from B&H, but thankfully live outside of NYC, avoiding tax. I would recommend keeping an eye on the marketplace here for a used one -- they have been showing up with some regularity recently.
In deed, a lens that won't be regreted comparing to all the lenses I bought last few years.

Fa 31 ltd is an amazing lens. No secret about it.
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #6

17th Street Photo is also great to deal with & they have it in stock
17photo.com
01-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jbcampbell, unfortunately, 17th Street is in NYS (so I'd have to pay tax), and has the same price as BH/Adorama. Good to hear of your success with Abe's... the comments at Bizrate and Reseller Ratings were pretty iffy, sounds like everyone gets the "hard sell" but they won't get anything extra out of me. But if they can get me the lens at that price, then I may have to go for it... I'd probably call them to do the order, to try to avoid a "confirmation" call later.

ftpaddict: Pentax's recent ads mention the 31mm too, as the best AF lens - the only specific product mentioned in the long text other than the K1000 (which I have had for years ). They certainly position it as an aspirational lens. (And hi to Romania! I was there on my honeymoon back in 2002 - beautiful country, especially in the mountains!)

Mind you, I'd like a 77m F1.8, too, but that probably won't happen for a while. Hopefully it won't go out of production any time soon... I like fast lenses and don't like the way the digital Limiteds are relatively slow.

01-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Mind you, I'd like a 77m F1.8, too, but that probably won't happen for a while. Hopefully it won't go out of production any time soon... I like fast lenses and don't like the way the digital Limiteds are relatively slow.
Ditto. Even if it is still in production (of which I am unsure) I have a feeling the 77's run may not last long, given the popularity and acclaim of the DA 70. The 77 is pretty much nonexistent on the used market currently, so when they disappear from stores, I don't even want to think about how much they'll go for.

I agree with you about the speed of the DA primes, but I think it's the only way to keep their size down. Of course, the FA 43 is f/1.9 and it's pretty damn small. But a simpler design, I'd guess.
01-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
ftpaddict: Pentax's recent ads mention the 31mm too, as the best AF lens - the only specific product mentioned in the long text other than the K1000 (which I have had for years ). They certainly position it as an aspirational lens. (And hi to Romania! I was there on my honeymoon back in 2002 - beautiful country, especially in the mountains!)

I see. Thank you for clearing that up. It's so good not to feel that ignorant anymore.
I'm glad you had a great time up in the mountains. They are beautiful, aren't they?

I fully agree on the fast lenses. I need those, especially since I shoot film, and I mostly use ISO 100.
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can understand the desire for pancake lenses, but I'd much rather have speed than pancake. I do a fair amount of low-light shooting and the lenses just can't be fast enough. Of course, I'd be even happier with an 85mm F1.4 than the 77mm F1.8, but that's really unlikely to happen!

ftpaddict, I know that location!

Mine was shot with a lowly 2mp 6x-zoom Fuji point-n-shoot... nice little camera but far from an SLR.
01-12-2008, 02:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's good to know you've been there. I hope none of you got sick while driving down that road. A girl from Norway (of all places) told me she'd never seen roads like that.

I'm done being offtopic.
01-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
It's good to know you've been there. I hope none of you got sick while driving down that road. A girl from Norway (of all places) told me she'd never seen roads like that.

I'm done being offtopic.
The person in charge of the infrastructure in the region must be either quite artistic or delirious
01-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
In deed, a lens that won't be regreted comparing to all the lenses I bought last few years.

Fa 31 ltd is an amazing lens. No secret about it.
I think that the FA 31 is one of the best lenses in the world. As good as any of the finest German Optics.

Ben
01-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ftpaddict, my wife refused to get out of the car, she's a little afraid of heights. I loved it though. My favorite place we visited was Bicaz Gorges - it was really lovely. I have tons more pictures from the trip on my site.

roentarre, I think the road was built as an Army training project? And is only open in the summer. What you don't get in the pictures is how steep it is - some of the turns you practically have to take in first gear, at least in our rental Ford. I think the road climbs about a mile, goes through a little tunnel at the top of the mountain, then back down.

Ben, that's what I heard. I really shouldn't spend the money but it sounds so nice, and only similar focal length/speed lens, the Sigma F1.4, just doesn't seem nearly in the same league. I think I'll probably place an order today...
01-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I think that the FA 31 is one of the best lenses in the world. As good as any of the finest German Optics.

Ben
My father is a longtime member of the Cult of Leica, and he eyes my 31 covetously whenever we're out together. Bwa ha ha!

A little OT: Has anyone seen the FA43 that was made for, of all things, Leica screwmount (M39 I think)? Cool little lens, and totally different than the K mount version.