Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Cheapest Fisheye lens?

Don't know whether to get a fisheye adapter or save up for an actual fisheye lens.

What do you guys think? Whats the cheapest fisheye out there. I won't be using this frequently so I don't want to spend so much on it.

Also has anyone had any experience between the two? From Youtube video all I've seen is the actual fisheye lens is miles ahead in terms of quality, and price too..

04-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want true good quality fisheye effects then get a dedicated fisheye lens.
If you just want to experiment for snapshots or just to play with some video effects then the attachment is OK, but dont try to pixel peep the pictures.
There is an ongoing thread in the the clubs for fisheyes.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/33549-fisheye-fever-club-flaun...ye-photos.html
Best results IMO are usually with the Pentax 10-17 AF zoom or the Samyang 8mm manual fisheye.
04-05-2012, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

There's FE and then there's FE. Two different types: full-circle, and frame-filling. Of the frame-fillers, there are various geometrical projections, same as cartographers using various projections when mapping a globular planet onto a flat plane surface.

Full-circle fisheye lenses for our half-frame APS-C dSLRs are virtually impossible to find. They need a focal length of about 5mm for a full-circle image. To get that look, I've used a couple of FE adapters.

* There's a Kenko (also branded as Vivitar, Spiratone, etc) 180 Degree Fisheye optic. I mount it on a 35-80 zoom and get full-circle at ~40mm, frame filling at ~60mm and beyond. It needs to be stopped WAY down, it's usually overpriced, and it sucks, especially around the edges.

* I much prefer the Precision Design Super AF Fisheye 0.25x adapter I got on eBay for US$20. I mount it on my DA18-250 or DA18-55 and get full-circle at ~18-20mm and frame-filling at ~40mm. It sucks a bit too, but not nearly so much as the Kenko, and it doesn't eat light.

Various frame-filling fisheye primes and zooms are available for rather more money. Their optics are MUCH better than ultrawide/fisheye adapters, which are really best suited for video. I have these:

* The DA10-17 is the lens that drove me to Pentax. It is superb, flexible, but specialized and not cheap. I take it with me always because when I need it, I really NEED it, and nothing else will do.

* The Zenitar-K2 16/2.8 (K2 means PK-M mount) is quite fishy on FF, not so fishy on APS-C. It's good for stretching effects and not-brightly-lit spaces, but I use it less since I got a Tamron 10-24.

* The Sigma (branded as Vemar, Spiratone, Vivitar etc) 12/8 is a weird fish. Full-circle on FF, very distorted on APS-C, fixed-focus with Waterhouse stops. My copy won't focus beyond 1.5m. Bother.

The DA10-17 is usually in the US$400 vicinity (unless you're VERY lucky, like GibbyTheMole). The Zenitar is usually around US$200 (*) and the 12/8 may be around US$100. The Kenko 180 is usually aroun US$50. If you just want to play with fishy effects, I recommend that cheapest 0.25x adapter. If you want serious good images, rob a minimart and buy the DA10-17.

(*) I used to see deals on the Zenitar, batches of ten for US$1500 shipped from Russia. So you could buy the lot, keep one, sell the rest for US$200 each, grossing US$1800. The whole deal means you make US$300 AND get a copy of the lens. Tempting, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 04-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
04-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If the fisheye is something you really want, then you're gonna want to get an actual fisheye lens. RioRico gave you a good list of lenses to check out. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that a fisheye designed for film/full frame won't look as fishy on a crop sensor. I have the Pentax 17mm and I use it both on my Kx and MX. On the Kx, it's still a bit fishy, but when you see a photograph the effect won't be glaring in your face as it might be when you use it on full frame. Also, full circle fisheyes are even more of a specialty lens. I can still use my 17mm keeping the horizon level to get landscape shots hiding the fisheye effect, which you wouldn't really be able to do with the full circle

04-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Definitely recommend the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm. Cheap, sharp, and has the most pleasing type of fisheye distortion (IMO).
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

a fisheye adaptor is really a lot of hastle, and hot really all that cheap.

I tried one, because I had it for my P&S. Not really a fisheye but wide angle adaptor to convert my 36-360 mm equivelent P&S to a 17-170mm equivelent.

On any of my wide angle lenses, It results in a semi fisheye, with terrible lateral CA, although this can be fixed to a great extent with a lens correcting program like pentax photo lab or other program that corrects lateral CA by rescaling the separate color layers.

Other low cost fisheyes are the 16mm zenitar but the FOV is really only reached on a full frame camera, and the samyang 8mm fisheye, which is actually a great lens. the only drawback of the samyang is that it cannot accept filters. More expensive 8mm fisheye lenses can accept rear filters, although I am not sure any one uses them
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the great replies and RioRico for all that info
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here ya go -> the Sigma 4.5mm FE

4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye - Fisheye Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Of course this is not cheap...

04-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Biggest thing to keep in mind is that a fisheye designed for film/full frame won't look as fishy on a crop sensor.
Definitely not, though all things are relative, even fishiness. Much depends on subject and camera angle. Here is my Zenitar 16/2.8 on 35mm film with camera angle adjusted to maximize the effect:

and another with the K10D with similar intent:

Here is one taken on 35mm film to minimize the effect:

...and another from the K10D with similar intent:

And a couple more with no intent whatsover!

In each case, camera angle and the position of straight lines relative to the lens axis are the key to fishiness.

Steve
04-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In each case, camera angle and the position of straight lines relative to the lens axis are the key to fishiness.
Very true, but most of the curvature, as you can see by your first picture, occurs towards the outer parts of the frame. A crop sensor will cut out the edges of the frame, hence less fishiness (given the same position). If you look at the picture of the trees, there's distinct curvature towards the edges, but if that was full frame you'd see a lot more. However, what matters most in terms of fishiness, like you said, is how you frame your shot.
04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
...what matters most in terms of fishiness, like you said, is how you frame your shot.
The first frame is a "bowl-like" setting and works well with the fisheye concept. In other cases, the extreme FOV even without bent lines does the job (again...35mm film...one of the last rolls of Kodachrome...):

Steve
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Here ya go -> the Sigma 4.5mm FE

4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye - Fisheye Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Of course this is not cheap...
The 8mm fisheye Sigma, manual focus and auto focus lenses are pretty close to a circle on aps-c and are on film. I don't have any of mine uploaded but here is a sample shot by Ash.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/1611-ash/albums/3090-singapore/picture24043.html

04-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Samyang or other brand equivalent would probably be your best bet for cheap fisheye on APSC
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sigma 4.5mm cir FE, ~360usd used:

I also have the Kenko cir FE add-on lens, ~100usd used. There are some went for 60usd if one got lucky. Here's some info about it:
Kenko 0.16x Fish-eye Converter | DPanswers

Last edited by hoanpham; 04-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.
04-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to cheap out on one, my wife has an Ambico V-0310 fisheye adapter that ain't bad for what it is. Fun to play with & it was $20 on eBay. Allegedly, it's one of the better "adapter" type fisheyes out there. Not for pixel peeping, but you can get some cool shots with it. On her 18-55 kit lens, it gets extremely fishy when cranked out to 18mm, and gives you a beer budget fisheye zoom.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)