Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

You ever sell to KEH or BH used?

What did you sell and what did they pay or offer?

04-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a lens off the forum here, a Pentax FA 28-105 f4-5.6. Used it for a month but never liked it. Sent it to KEH, and they said it had fungus. The original owner never noticed it (or mentioned it when he sold it to me), and I never noticed it (and I looked), but maybe that's why I wasn't getting very good pics. Result: they offered me about half of what I had thought I was going to get if the lens was clean using their online estimator.
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I bought a lens off the forum here, a Pentax FA 28-105 f4-5.6. Used it for a month but never liked it. Sent it to KEH, and they said it had fungus. The original owner never noticed it (or mentioned it when he sold it to me), and I never noticed it (and I looked), but maybe that's why I wasn't getting very good pics. Result: they offered me about half of what I had thought I was going to get if the lens was clean using their online estimator.

Didn't know they had an estimator. Will check it out.
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

I've never sold to either of them.
They seriously lowball you on their on-line estimator.
And you never know what they're actually going to give you until you ship it to them.
But then, they DO have to clean and/or repair the equipment and still be able to sell it for a profit.
They're a good resource if you don't want to go through the hassle of selling something yourself.
But certainly don't expect anywhere near top dollar.

04-05-2012, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of weeks ago, the KEH folks were in town, and at a local camera store.

The store doesn't carry Pentax in ANY shape.

I was there to pick up other bits and see some of my favorite sales people. There was a line out the door, as people were sitting around waiting for the KEH folks to appraise their gear and put it in these huge boxes.

Since this store doesn't carry Pentax - and is HUGELY biased towards Canikon - I'm never taken seriously there. The two sales people that I deal with are the quirky ones who have a soft spot for Pentaxians, and they are closeted in that regard. When we talk "Pentax", they make sure no other salespeople are around.

As a Pentaxian, I am out and proud, but I don't push it down other's throats. You either like it the "Pentax Way" or not.

As the folks were sitting there waiting, I quietly asked if they had any Pentax gear. I didn't want the KEH folks or the camera store to see me asking, as I knew I would either be thrown out, or my salesperson-friends would take the heat over it. Someday, they might have the strength to come out, but it's not for me to out them.

As I asked about the Pentax gear, pretty much everyone looked into their bags/cases and nodded that they didn't have any Pentax gear.

One woman in a hushed whisper called me over. "I have an Olive drab K-m, and I would NEVER sell it or trade it." she said. In a quiet tone, she glanced up and continued "The Pentax is my favorite camera over all my others".

The two of us smiled at each other and knew what it meant.

It seems that Canikon love finds it's way to KEH, as a redeemer of broken dreams.

Pentax love is forever.

True Story.

04-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

In 2008 when I went with Sony's A200, I let them have my SMC-M40 pancake. They offered over $100 for it, which I applied to a Tamron 17-35 in Alpha mount. That was quite a deal in my mind.. but the margins have narrowed too far for my comfort nowadays.
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

KEH are the good guys. I have purchased and sold to them. Buying is easy, the are very conservative on condition and they provide a six month warranty. When they buy inventory and offer it for resell, they pay about half what they think they'll get. They are out cash, stuff sits on shelves and their overhead doesn't stop. I have sent them stuff that had issues when they inspected it. They have also paid me more than estimated because the condition was better when inspected. Honest folks. Still using my Gossen Digisix and LunaStar meters, DA12-24 and LowePro Nova 5, all from KEH.

04-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also endorse both KEH and BH to buy or sell used gear. Once sold an A*300/2.8 to KEH--probably late '90's when I sold that. Have done much used buying and selling. When you sell to a commercial entity, expect to be paid wholesale...they have to buy at wholesale and sell at retail to actually be in business.
04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also believe in both KEH and B&H, sold to both and imo got good deals. Bought from both, fact is I bought my K100D and my K-x from KEH got good deals on both there, too. I love KEH's return policy. If the item is defective when you get it they'll take it back, and even refund your shipping charges.