Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I would buy this lot if it was actually stuff you want to use. It's a fair value and you could probably resell it for a profit assuming that nothing is damaged.

04-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #17

Original Poster
Just and FYI, This deal fell through, he didn't want to sell just the two Pentax lenses. Oh well...

On another note, I'm thinking of picking this up

PENTAX A (P) MOUNT TOU/FIVE STAR AUTO WIDE 28mm f 2.8 LENS MADE IN JAPAN | eBay

I am looking for a pentax brand, like the one listed here:

SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

But I am unable to find one. Any idea where I might find one?

Thanks for all the help!
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Your patience will be rewarded in due time.. or so I hear, I've never been patient with lenses
Don't know if it's still on auction, but I saw a Rikenon-P for cheap a couple of days ago. I have one of these and am quite impressed - but it has no 'A' setting, it's manual metering only.
04-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MagicWuff Quote
The serial of that listed lens is #850311. The copy I'm holding in my fat grubby paws at this very moment (except when I'm keyboarding) is #8502589. It looks like exactly the same lens. The listing is wrong -- close-focus is 1.1 FEET not INCHES. I had another copy of this, but in PKM mount not PKA, and I sold that one because I prefer this A version.

I am currently on a long sojourn away from my home base. I brought a number of lenses with me, many of my best -- including this one. I rank this TOU / FIVE STAR in my top three 28s (out of fifteen), and it's my only A-type 28. It is VERY sharp; I see no aberrations; it gives a little pop and renders nicely. All-metal body; no Ricoh pin (notice that it's labeled as KA mount, not KAR nor KR).

The price of the listed lens is reasonable. I recommend it. GRAB IT!

Sorry, I can't help about the A28/2.8. Keep searching and eventually you'll find it. Good luck!

04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The price of the listed lens is reasonable. I recommend it. GRAB IT!

I found a pentax-a 28/2.8 on ebay today! I have placed a bid, lets see how that goes.

Even if I do win the pentax lens, should I still get the Tou/Five, or are they pretty much the same?
04-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just as an aside, the kiron zoom, if you look closely, appears to have a little tab that sticks out over the lens mount, i think it is a minolta mount on this lens, and it too is useless to the OP.
04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MagicWuff Quote
I found a pentax-a 28/2.8 on ebay today! I have placed a bid, lets see how that goes.

Even if I do win the pentax lens, should I still get the Tou/Five, or are they pretty much the same?
I have the M28/2.8, not the A version, which is reportedly better. I rank my Toyo at least one grade above my M28, almost as good as (and easier to use than) my Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA, which is my most-used MF prime of any focal length. I don't know how the Toyo compares to the A28. One thing: Prices will not decrease for either lens. If you don't like one or the other, you won't lose money in resale!

NOTE: TOU stands for Toyo Optical USA. I see some of the same lenses marked either Toyo or TOU, always with "/ FIVE STAR" appended. Maybe lenses marked Toyo were meant for non-USA markets? I've read that Toyo is a brand of Sun Optics. I know that none of the several Toyo-TOU lenses I've had were bad. My 200/4.5 in PKM is sharp and light. I sold a 80-200/4.5 because I'm glutted with MF 80-200's.

04-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The F 70-210 is a very good lens for the money, but lets not confuse this guy: that lens is NOT the F 70-210!