Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Just received new FA 43

Well my new FA 43 arrived today. It was it or the new K-01. I have gone round and round with the K-01 and just as I get a little softhearted and think of buying one, someone else drops another complaint or exposes another weird behavior. I just can't spend that kind of money on a tool that may work for me some of the time but fight me the rest of the time. This may take till the K-02 arrives to be settled for me.

The FA 43, on the other hand, also gives me a lighter travel kit I have always wanted. I will now carry the DA 15 and 21 plus the FA 43 and 77 when out and about on the street. One lens on my K-5 and three plus accessories in a belly pack. The FA 31 is kind of odd man out as the filter size is different and it is a bit bigger than the others. Yes, I like to travel very light. Also the 21 and 31 were too close in view for my liking and I preferred the wider angle of the 21 over the somewhat tighter 31. I guess I need to thank the price increase for motivating me but it ended up being one of the lenses not increased after all. Well I wanted it and now I have it. Now to see if the sharpest prime out there is also the sharpest prime in my bag. To be seen...

Ran some tests in my yard from near to far and am just amazed at the resolution. Can't say it is the best lens I own from informal test but it is one of the best for sure. Normally 100% in LR shows softness breaking in on most images, these still had a nice detail and clarity that I am not used to at that level. Also did not need any AF adjustment. I am one happy camper.

04-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats! I think you'll find that at f/4 it lives up to it's reputation...and then some.

Back when I was thinking D300, my main reason for sticking with the k10 (at that time) was I couldn't stand the thought of not using my 43mm lens....a decision I've never regretted.
04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I just bought a silver 43mm too! my first limited lens. It was 540 from an Amazon seller with high ratings and in like-new condition with hood and pouch. I figured with all these price bumps its a good time to buy it-the price of the FA limited might not increase, but they sure as hell won't decrease. Looking forward to using it soon!
04-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Hi,

I bought also the FA 43mm some weeks ago, in my case I set an adjustment for it, but I still have to check if the adjustment is in fact for the body itself... need to do some focus testing because I think it has a bit of backfocus.

Anyhow, I'm really happy with this lens, very sharp indeed even wide open. Mine is silver with serial 4338 made in japan. :-)

Enjoy!

04-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Well my new FA 43 arrived today. It was it or the new K-01. I have gone round and round with the K-01 and just as I get a little softhearted and think of buying one, someone else drops another complaint or exposes another weird behavior. I just can't spend that kind of money on a tool that may work for me some of the time but fight me the rest of the time. This may take till the K-02 arrives to be settled for me.

The FA 43, on the other hand, also gives me a lighter travel kit I have always wanted. I will now carry the DA 15 and 21 plus the FA 43 and 77 when out and about on the street. One lens on my K-5 and three plus accessories in a belly pack. The FA 31 is kind of odd man out as the filter size is different and it is a bit bigger than the others. Yes, I like to travel very light. Also the 21 and 31 were too close in view for my liking and I preferred the wider angle of the 21 over the somewhat tighter 31. I guess I need to thank the price increase for motivating me but it ended up being one of the lenses not increased after all. Well I wanted it and now I have it. Now to see if the sharpest prime out there is also the sharpest prime in my bag. To be seen...

Ran some tests in my yard from near to far and am just amazed at the resolution. Can't say it is the best lens I own from informal test but it is one of the best for sure. Normally 100% in LR shows softness breaking in on most images, these still had a nice detail and clarity that I am not used to at that level. Also did not need any AF adjustment. I am one happy camper.
The FA43 is quite sharp at maximum aperture, if it has been calibrated properly. But I think you will discover that the real beauty of this lens lies not in it's sharpness, but in its silky smooth rendering and beautiful colors. That's where the "pixie dust" comes from.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.
04-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But it's a sharp lens also. In fact all my Pentax primes have been. I can't fault the 43 shooting at the right apertures for the chosen subjects. Its colour and contrast gives my portraits the 3D effect so beautifully.