Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

Camera Mounts for other lenses

Ok, so I am being given a Canon Rebel camera(bless wonderful people out there)...it will do until I can replace my stolen Pentax IST-d.....
BUt, my question is....is there an adaptor that I can purchase that will allow me to use my pentax lenses with the canon camera? What about the other way around?
Are they effective? Is it worth the effort? Pros and cons?
Thanks for educating the dumb person in the room.....Hey, there is a good book...pentax for dummies?

04-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search flea bay for "pentax lens to canon adapter" and you will get a bunch. You can go Pentax lens to Canon camera but not the other way around. The registration distance on Pentax is longer so you can add distance to make that up, but you cannot take it away without losing infinity focus.

The connection AFAIK is all manual so unless the lenses have aperture rings it will not work well. Lots of Canon video shooters use our Takumars, sadly it seems driving the price up.

I believe the Pentax for Dummies book is this forum. So just ask, lots of knowledgeable folks here.
04-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
OK, you just spoke yiddish to me, and I took Greek in school...So I am really confused....WHat is registration distance and infinity focus? I told you I was dummie....Grinning wickedly...
04-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raye Quote
OK, you just spoke yiddish to me, and I took Greek in school...So I am really confused....WHat is registration distance and infinity focus? I told you I was dummie....Grinning wickedly...
Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simply put, it is the distance from the lens mount to the film plane (sensor in a dslr). This varies from system to system.

Infinity focus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
infinity focus is the state where a lens or other optical system forms an image of an object an infinite distance away.

04-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All good information above. Yes, register is the distance on the camera from the lens mount to the frame (film or sensor). SLRs need that space for a mirrorbox, the enclosure for the SLR's mirror, which needs room to swing. Most major SLR systems (full-frame or APS-C) have had registers in the 40-47mm range, a bit under two inches.

Lenses for each system are designed for their register. Pentax register is 45.46mm. Nikon is longer; Canon EOS and FD, Sony-Minolta Alpha, Konica, are shorter; Olympus OM and Yashica C/Y are about the same. Longer-register lenses can be adapted to shorter-register cameras, and will focus to infinity; but shorter-register lenses on longer-register cameras can only be used for close|macro work.

Every mm there makes a big difference. We have a couple kinds of M42-PK adapters for mounting screwmount lenses like Takumars on our PK bayonet-mount cameras. One type of adapter has a wide flange that is 1mm thick. That is enough to reduce the far-focus of a 50mm lens from infinity to under 3m / 10ft. That's fine for portraits, not so fine for landscapes.

Canon dSLRs can easily mount adapted Pentax lenses. They take our Takumars!