Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A fish eye with a hood?

I have a non-smc 17mm fish eye that I really like. On the K20 it is 120 degrees instead of 180 degrees. Used carefully it takes some great wide angle shots. The one limitation is that flare can be a problem in brite sun light due to the lack of smc coatings. I can't complain since I only payed about $50 for a mint lens. My solution is to fit a hood fashioned from a spray can cap. Due to the cropped sensor a hood can be used without vignetting. It seems to work well for me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C5050Z  Photo 

Last edited by Big Dave; 04-07-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: sp
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great solution and is probably just the requisite deep black!
04-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I can't complain since I only payed about $50 for a mint lens.
No! You can't complain at all. I have never seen one of those in good condition go for less than $400!

Excellent hood solution, BTW!

Steve
04-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No! You can't complain at all. I have never seen one of those in good condition go for less than $400!
Ouch.

Great hood, the APS-C crop might actually be good for something :P

04-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I have a non-smc 17mm fish eye that I really like. On the K20 it is 120 degrees instead of 180 degrees. Used carefully it takes some great wide angle shots. The one limitation is that flare can be a problem in brite sun light due to the lack of smc coatings. I can't complain since I only payed about $50 for a mint lens. My solution is to fit a hood fashioned from a spray can cap. Due to the cropped sensor a hood can be used without vignetting. It seems to work well for me.
I have that lens too!!! I did some butchery to it, and attached a K adaptor to it permanently using the screw that normally holds the spring on as the jam screw. I cut a small notch in the mount to take the body lock pin. On ap-c, I expect a hood designed for a 24mm lens on 35mm would be a good size.
04-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have that lens too!!! I did some butchery to it, and attached a K adaptor to it permanently using the screw that normally holds the spring on as the jam screw. I cut a small notch in the mount to take the body lock pin. On ap-c, I expect a hood designed for a 24mm lens on 35mm would be a good size.
It doesn't have any threads for attaching a hood. My plastic hood just is a slip fit over the filter ring. I use a Pentax adapter for mounting. A small peice of scotch tape holds the filter in place. It was very easy to accidentally engage one of the colored filters. I did mount a K adapter permanently on my 50mm 1.4 and notched it for the latch.
04-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another hooded fisheye: the Sigma-made T-mount 12mm f/8 fixed-focus fisheye with Waterhouse stops, variously branded as Vemar, Spiratone, Vivitar, etc. Are two versions, distinguished by the lens cap. Version 1 has a one-piece metal cap like a flattened cone. Version 2 has a two-piece assembly: a wide metal ring, and a flat metal round. The ring alone acts as both a fairly effective hood, and as an image boundary. On FF cams it gives a full-circle image. On APS-C cams it's just... strange.