Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What camera stores have you tried in Buffalo? There is a store in Buffalo listed as a Pentax retailer. Neve been ther myself as it's a three hour drive from Syracuse. There is a camera shop in Rochester with a large used inventory, I have no idea if they have any Pentax lenses or not. I can assure you that there are no camera shops in Syracuse that carry anything Pentax.

This may be the place in Rochester...
Photo Source Ltd - Rochester Wiki
Thanks a bunch for the info. That one you gave the link for in rochester was the one I was thinking was in buffalo. I have heard he has a lot of used gear but have never gotten around to going down there (probably 1.5hr+ away). I know at one point he only took people by appointment.

I could be way off about the other place being in Syracuse. I just kind of guessed based on a map but checking the distance from here to Syracuse it was much farther away (maybe closer to you than me though). There is a large retail store that is supposed to carry a huge inventory of used equipment somewhere in upstate NY (or so I have been leed to believe).

The pentax dealer is in buffalo is a dud (to some extent). I assume that you are talking about delaware camera). It is a smaller shop that carries one small section on the wall of used gear. They do consignment and claim what they have changes in inventory a lot, but the time I went in there, they had maybe 2 used lenses and 1 used camera with lens that fit pentax. Of course since I am looking for a camera body sooner or later I might want to check them out again (I didn't really take note that they were a pentax dealer as I was looking for used gear). They did seem friendly and helpful.

04-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's another place in Rochester called Hahn Photographic. Don't know if they are still in business.

Hahn Photographic, Inc. Rochester NY Photo Equipment & Supplies

There is also Rowe Photo. They don't carry Pentax and I don't know about used gear.

Rowe Photo, Video, Audio Speakers Rochester Greece Webster NY
04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I think I'm going to have to agree about having the best luck with individuals rather than lens sellers or camera stores. I have to remind myself when I get bad items that 9 out of 10 lenses I have gotten off ebay have turned out fine (sometimes with a little cleaning or minor repairs). I have bought maybe 60 lenses total (mostly MF but a few AF). I noticed early on, the more I paid, the more likely I was to have problems. I'm thinking that a large number lens sellers on ebay that have a lot of lenses are just lens flippers. You are getting the same lenses good and bad that people are selling for less, that they have just bought and resold at a much higher price. I'm thinking those types have a little more incentive to misleed as they need to unload everything good or bad to make a good profit and they want to make a profit on anything. One of the few rare times I left a neg on ebay, I was looking into the seller a little (he sold nothing but lenses and cameras) and found 4 lenses in a lot he bought on ebay. One lens was described as damaged. He resold it claiming mint condition with no mention of the damage (serial numbers in the pictures matched).

I'm thinking I have averaged 10$ or less shipped per lens so maybe taking a little gamble with individuals is the way to go (I have had worse luck with lens sellers for much higher prices).
I've bought and re-sold lenses on ebay, but I always use them for a while, then if I sell them, I put pictures taken with the lenses in the listing and give as good as description of the condition as possible, I've lost money on some, but I try not to pay too much to begin with. As Bobpur noted "full kit with camera lenses and bag" is often a good deal, just someone cleaning the closet out. If you can get a good deal on these, especially with multiple lenses, go for it. Oddly enough I bought two of these deals in January for good prices. One had the Tamron AF (IF) 28-105mm 1:4-5.6 and the other had the Promaster AF 28-105mm 1:4-5.6. They are the same lens and both copies are stellar. I won't get sell either, well my daughter can use one with her K-x. In fact I just bought an Pentax hood for the Promaster because it was missing one. They are the same lens as the PENTAX-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF] (the non Power-zoom model) and that's what shows up in the EXIF. There are a lot of honest people selling things, just look at the number of listings that say non working, or for parts, dented filter ring, or listed with fungus. I'm a little leery when they list as mint, or boxed, or like new in box (a lot of folks keep every box).
04-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There's another place in Rochester called Hahn Photographic. Don't know if they are still in business.

Hahn Photographic, Inc. Rochester NY Photo Equipment & Supplies

There is also Rowe Photo. They don't carry Pentax and I don't know about used gear.

Rowe Photo, Video, Audio Speakers Rochester Greece Webster NY
I'll have to look into those 2 next time I'm down there. I haven't gone to Rochester in a while.

04-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've bought and re-sold lenses on ebay, but I always use them for a while, then if I sell them, I put pictures taken with the lenses in the listing and give as good as description of the condition as possible, I've lost money on some, but I try not to pay too much to begin with. As Bobpur noted "full kit with camera lenses and bag" is often a good deal, just someone cleaning the closet out. If you can get a good deal on these, especially with multiple lenses, go for it. Oddly enough I bought two of these deals in January for good prices. One had the Tamron AF (IF) 28-105mm 1:4-5.6 and the other had the Promaster AF 28-105mm 1:4-5.6. They are the same lens and both copies are stellar. I won't get sell either, well my daughter can use one with her K-x. In fact I just bought an Pentax hood for the Promaster because it was missing one. They are the same lens as the PENTAX-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF] (the non Power-zoom model) and that's what shows up in the EXIF. There are a lot of honest people selling things, just look at the number of listings that say non working, or for parts, dented filter ring, or listed with fungus. I'm a little leery when they list as mint, or boxed, or like new in box (a lot of folks keep every box).
The majority of lenses I have bought have been fine or just had minor issues (dirty or just needed a minor repair) from any kind of seller. It just seems percentage wise I have had more problem lenses from people who sell mainly camera equipment (and charge a lot more). You would think they would be the ones that would have product knowledge and there would be less problem items. Oddly enough, until very recently (I got some boxed stuff recently that was brand new and looked it sourced from a camera store that closed), the only 2 used lenses that I have gotten in original box both had fungus. Maybe its not good to store in the original box (at least without a silica gel packet or something like the manufacture might do)?
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was pretty fast. Paid fri, shipped sat, arrived mon. I have only had a chance to glance it over (working long shifts, to tired to mess with it much). The tamron lens doesn't look quite new but close to it (very nice condition). The pentax 100-300mm looks pretty good too. I haven't gotten around to cleaning the dust off the outside elements (not dirty, just a little dust) to see for sure if there is any internal dust but it doesn't look like much if any? I wonder if a pentax zx-7 in good condition is worth anything (didn't look it over too close as I could care less about having another camera body but it seemed to be in good shape too).

I was a little taken back by the tamron compared to the older version. Its much smaller and lighter (kind of has that light, fragile modern plastic look where the older one had more of a heavy built tough look). I guess how it performs is what will matter. The size and weight would certainly be an advantage as a carry lens if it can perform and last as well or better than its older big brother.