Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

opinion on these lenses/this deal

warning, long post
I have already won them on ebay but did so in a bit of anger, irritation and frustration, lol. I'm still second guessing myself due to the circumstances and I'm just curious about if others think its a good deal and opinions on the lenses in general.

The back story is that I have been trying to get a tamron 28-200mm for months (at first just bidding low on ebay in no rush). Something went wrong every time. Bid low, get out bid, bid medium, get outbid, bid high, get outbid. I have seen plenty go for 30-40$ but I can not get one for 60-70$. I decided to just buy on keh. Anytime I had the money and was ready to buy, they didn't have one (any time they did have one I was broke). They had promaster versions for 50$ (went back later that day after some research to buy and they were gone). They had older tamron versions for 70-80$ on an off but never when I was able to buy one. So I finally win one on ebay and cheap (35$ shipped). Its the same (571d) that keh had for 70-80$. I get it and it has nice glass and seems to work well, but the front and rear portions are starting to separate (no infinity focus below 50mm unless you gently push back on the front of the lens). The guy packed it in a thin wall box 1/4" bigger than the lens inside with a few shreds of newspaper for padding. Then he ships parcel post when he promised priority to ensure it got banged around more. There was a small piece of plastic broken off the lens (from inside I assume as there was nothing broken off the outside). It was somewhat worn but had nice glass and looked like it would have been a nice lens had it not got broken in shipping.

So I'm impatient and irritated and bid high on this one.

First off, there are 5 versions I am aware of
71d? Very first, poor close focus but a dedicated macro adapter is available.
271d/571d better close focus, better image quality?
371d/471d claimed to be sharper at 28mm wide open plus I assume improved in other ways?
xr (a03 I think) major redesign, 62mm filter instead of 72mm, smaller, shorter, lighter, supposed to have all around better image quality (due to xr glass maybe?).
xr di (designed for digital, the current and much more expensive model, not sure the exact model number).

I didn't want the 71d. The 80$ ones and the 50$ promaster at keh were 271d/371d/471d/571d. I'm pretty sure the pentax brand version is the 571d but way more expensive. Any of the others were fine (the one I won that was broken was the 571d and I was happy with image quality).

keh has the xr for 119$ plus shipping with hood and caps (ex+ condition) and the pentax for 144-172$ (ex/ex+ condition).
So here is what I got. Paid 102.50$ plus 19.99 priority shipping

pentax zx-7 film body
tamron AF 28-200mm (thats all that was listed, not the model number but its 62mm and the picture matches the xr so its got to be the xr)
original ad03 lens hood
tamron front cap (not sure about rear, its mounted to the camera)
tamron 62mm skylight 1a (not sure if I have spare good ones that size and not sure if the tamron is good)
62mm hoya hmc circular polarizer (thats a bonus though I don't use them much)
pentax 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 (picture seems to match the F version)
tiffen 58mm haze 1 and caps
SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
sony handy cam bag

I don't need the 100-300mm but its sold for 70-90$ shipped recently so its got some value. maybe its better than the 2 I already have. I probably don't need the accessories but its a bonus and I may or may not have similar items.

The 2 I already have
quantaray 70-300mm (sigma) I didn't think it was quite as bad as the reviews
quantary 70-300 1.4-5.6 LDO MACRO Lens Reviews - Quantaray Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

quantaray 100-300 (sigma?) maybe better but slower? I haven't used it much as the sigma is faster
Quantaray 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 LDO Lens Reviews - Quantaray Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Should I make the post even longer guaranteeing no one will read it all?

I do not have them yet. Pictures looked good but no pictures of the glass (yea I'm stupid). The seller has been selling a few things here and there for years, and a lot more things in the last few months. 3 neg and 8 neutral received in 12 years (over 700 transactions), no neutral or neg in 5 years.

"Camera and lenses in working order - camera has been used 10+ times and otherwise stored in its case"
"The 100-300 lens and its filter saw the least use. There are no noticeable flaws to camera/lenses/case/etc.

Ready for a new loving home!"

All her listings say something about how many times it's been used so bs or its all her personal stuff?

I asked "Is the glass on the lenses free from scratches, fungus, haze etc? Do I understand right that the items are fully functional and in very good condition? Thanks"

Answer was (bought on my wifes account)
"Yes, ma'am. If for any reason you find it not to be, I have a 7-day return policy upon receipt. I like to work with my buyers to ensure their happiness."

All her other stuff is clothing, shoes, purses, collectibles (I know, stupid to pay that much from someone that may not be familiar with cameras).

So I keep second guessing myself that I should have bought the one from keh for maybe 15$ more (without the second lens and extras but guaranteed great condition and 6 month warranty).
Was it a stupid choice? any comments on if it was a good deal or the 100-300mm vs the ones I have? Comments about me being crazy posting this or stressing over it or even putting that much thought into it are welcome too (I usually score pretty good on ebay but this one has been my white whale)...

04-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to mention (you mean this idiots going to post more?) that this is kind of a lot for me to spend to get one lens (got most of my af lenses and camera when we were a 2 income family, now a 1 income family and I nickel and dime myself to death with millions of cheap mf lenses so no money for more expensive ones). I'm irresponsible with money and have a lot less of it now.
04-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I think you are way over-stressing. You have enough value there (assuming it is in good shape) to double your money or better even if you decide not to keep any of it. Split it up, take good photos and write a good description for the listing and you will make money.

As to the lenses, I have tried two Pentax 28-200's and both were too soft for me to keep. But it sounds like you know a lot more about them than I do. The F 100-300 is not rated really high, but it is a consumer zoom, compare it to the ones you have and keep the one that suits you best.

I am pretty sure you can keep the 28-200 and sell the remainder for more than you paid, so go out and take some pictures and quit stressing.
04-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really liked my quantaray/sigma 100-300. Focus is faster than the DA55-300 but contrast was a bit lower, which many people will see and say "image is soft". A twinge of contrast boost and a touch of sharpening if needed, and it took great images. Once it goes long the focus will hunt with low light levels.

In my Alpha days I had one of the long-labeled 28-200 Tamrons (xr di &c &c). Sadly it was pretty soft and showed color fringes after 120mm. The 70-300 quantaray is either a sigma (55mm filters) or a tamron (62mm). They are not the latest generation but still quite good, and probably have the 1:2 macro feature (though older ones do 1:4).

I now have the DA 55-300. Its range is what makes it truly special, a lot fewer lens changes by pulling back to 55mm. But also it is decently sharp throughout its range. Its main issue is vignetting, the corners are shaded to some degree in lots of shots. That's not a big deal to me, cropping or pp work can manage it to my tolerance.

04-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess part of the stress is will it be in good condition. I have gotten bad items on the last 3 lenses I bought (after kind of a long run of good items). First one auction said no fungus and it had obvious fungus (very visible) on the front element. Second auction was 3 items from one seller, a teleconverter that was fine, vivitar macro tubes with linkage in nearly new condition, and a pentax branded teleconverter (the most expensive of the 3). The teleconverter had damage that I'm pretty certain was caused by fungus. It looks like they cleaned the fungus away but left residue of cleaner or something (kind of looked like a faint foggy smear across the lens). The acid etching from the fungus was pretty obvious. This was from a brick and moter camera shop (off ebay) so you would think they would have caught that. Last was the broken tamron 28-200mm. I guess I'm not feeing confident in what I get from ebay right now. The only real warning sign from this seller is that it is the only camera related item they are selling so they may not have good knowledge to test/inspect it.
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My 70-300mm has 58mm filter threads so maybe its a different revision but I'm pretty sure its a sigma.
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi
If you remove the small rubber ring from the front of the lens, just back of the bayonet mounting. You will
see 3 screws that hold the front plastic ring, remove the ring and you will see 3 others facing the front of the lens.
These are there to hold the infinity adjustment. It is on like a wedge system so rotating the front element will
change the infinity setting, most likely these screws came loose.
To setup just put in manual focus and turn the focus ring to infinity then focus to something far away by turning the front element
not the focus ring, when it is just slightly past infinity tighten the 3 front screws.
I have fixed 2 of those lenses already and find them quite good.
Remember when something is not right there are only 3 outcomes
1/ It gets better ( Keep going until it gets worse )
2/ It gets worse ( Good then you know which way to go next )
3/ It stays the same ( This is the worse outcome as you still don't know which way to go )

Good Luck and don't quit you will only get better !

04-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi
If you remove the small rubber ring from the front of the lens, just back of the bayonet mounting. You will
see 3 screws that hold the front plastic ring, remove the ring and you will see 3 others facing the front of the lens.
These are there to hold the infinity adjustment. It is on like a wedge system so rotating the front element will
change the infinity setting, most likely these screws came loose.
To setup just put in manual focus and turn the focus ring to infinity then focus to something far away by turning the front element
not the focus ring, when it is just slightly past infinity tighten the 3 front screws.
I have fixed 2 of those lenses already and find them quite good.
Remember when something is not right there are only 3 outcomes
1/ It gets better ( Keep going until it gets worse )
2/ It gets worse ( Good then you know which way to go next )
3/ It stays the same ( This is the worse outcome as you still don't know which way to go )

Good Luck and don't quit you will only get better !
I wish I would have known that several days ago but it brings up another question (and also there is a problem working on the lens at all). The biggest problem is the was an ebay auction (old member but new seller that did just about everything wrong). He agreed to a full refund and is paying return shipping. Of course he has already refunded me and wants to get with me about sending it back after spring break. There is now nothing forcing me to send it back and there is nothing he can do about it, but I'm honest and have every intention of sending it back. Had he sold to someone a little less honest they could have kept it. I am not going to do any work on a lens that I technically do not own or am trying to return. My only option would be to message the seller, tell them I may know how to fix it and see if he wants to let me try (since I have another on the way now there may be no point though I would still like to keep it for the price if I knew it wasn't broken). Otherwise I would have to offer to pay again and take the risk myself? I don't want to take it apart without authorization from the seller if I have any intentions of returning it (or getting a refund which I already have).

About the repair though. I have worked on several manual focus lenses so I have dealt with something similar to what you are describing. This one seems to have another problem but you tell me if this is what you experienced. If you extend the lens to 200mm, grab the mount with one hand, and the front ring with the other, and gently pull the lens apart and push it back together, the front and rear sections of the lens pull apart and go back together by at least a couple of mm with a thunk, thunk sound. With the lens at 28mm, if I hold the mount in one hand, and gently push up and down of the front ring, it will move up and down by a few mm. The lens has not just lost infinity adjustment, the front and rear are loose from each other.
Would this be cause by the screws you are describing being loose, or would they just throw focus out? Fyi when on the camera, if I push rearward gently on the front of the lens, bringing the sections together, it regains infinity focus (only while I'm holding it). Also, there was a small piece of plastic broken off the lens (same kind and color of plastic)but it wasn't from the outside so something inside broke which concerns me. If I though I could fix it I might consider sending him his money back.

Fyi I got full refund on the other two lenses too but the hassle and disappointment is getting to be a bummer.
04-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I currently have the 28-200 Xr on my k7 and had a 28-300 Xr on my cough canon cough and have been pleased with both. I was able to buy new, however with the addition of a k5 I am looking at the 8-135 wr from Pentax. That is the thing about this hobby of mine always on the look out for better glass.

JJ
04-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I currently have the 28-200 Xr on my k7 and had a 28-300 Xr on my cough canon cough and have been pleased with both. I was able to buy new, however with the addition of a k5 I am looking at the 8-135 wr from Pentax. That is the thing about this hobby of mine always on the look out for better glass.

JJ
Thanks for the info. Information on these lenses and all the different versions is limited. I only know as much as I do based on bits and pieces of information here and there over the last few months while I have been trying to find one. I didn't have any solid info on the xr other than a mention it was better than the older versions. It sounds to be pretty good to me if you paid new price and liked it. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay new? Your post got me thinking about checking the data base again and it seems that there are a couple of reviews specifically about the xr that are also promising (I originally didn't consider the xr or xr di versions as I thought they would be too expensive). It was still a bit expensive for me anyway if I consider the total cost as the cost of getting the lens and the other stuff as freebies that I wasn't really looking for. From a perspective of what I got for the money assigning fair value to everything, it is becoming clear I got a great deal if they turn out to be in as good of shape as the seller states. Getting nailed by 3 sellers in a row (2 with 100% feedback) leaves me a bit nervous about this one even though it may be unjustified. I guess i'll know in a couple of days. Maybe I'll get really lucky and the 100-300mm will shine above the ones I have too but I'm not holding my breath there. At least its worth some money relative to price paid....
04-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You most likely got a good deal. There can be a lot of variation in those 28-200s, hope you get a good one. You should be able to sell the 100-300 with no problem. I have the best luck on ebay buying from individuals, not camera stores or sellers that have tons of cameras listed.
04-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi
Sounds like the lens is bad, send it back as you said.
I have always bought locally ( +- 60 miles ) as Paypal is not an option for me.
Once it was no pal NoPay ! so no more of that.
Most of the time it is good to buy a full kit with camera lenses and bag for low prices. Ask all of your friends to
check with their Families, you will be surprised what is sitting around in closets ! ( Don't ask mine it is all gone )
04-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You most likely got a good deal. There can be a lot of variation in those 28-200s, hope you get a good one. You should be able to sell the 100-300 with no problem. I have the best luck on ebay buying from individuals, not camera stores or sellers that have tons of cameras listed.
I think I'm going to have to agree about having the best luck with individuals rather than lens sellers or camera stores. I have to remind myself when I get bad items that 9 out of 10 lenses I have gotten off ebay have turned out fine (sometimes with a little cleaning or minor repairs). I have bought maybe 60 lenses total (mostly MF but a few AF). I noticed early on, the more I paid, the more likely I was to have problems. I'm thinking that a large number lens sellers on ebay that have a lot of lenses are just lens flippers. You are getting the same lenses good and bad that people are selling for less, that they have just bought and resold at a much higher price. I'm thinking those types have a little more incentive to misleed as they need to unload everything good or bad to make a good profit and they want to make a profit on anything. One of the few rare times I left a neg on ebay, I was looking into the seller a little (he sold nothing but lenses and cameras) and found 4 lenses in a lot he bought on ebay. One lens was described as damaged. He resold it claiming mint condition with no mention of the damage (serial numbers in the pictures matched).

I'm thinking I have averaged 10$ or less shipped per lens so maybe taking a little gamble with individuals is the way to go (I have had worse luck with lens sellers for much higher prices).
04-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi
Sounds like the lens is bad, send it back as you said.
I have always bought locally ( +- 60 miles ) as Paypal is not an option for me.
Once it was no pal NoPay ! so no more of that.
Most of the time it is good to buy a full kit with camera lenses and bag for low prices. Ask all of your friends to
check with their Families, you will be surprised what is sitting around in closets ! ( Don't ask mine it is all gone )
I have a lot of regrets (or maybe more precise a lot of I wish I knew then what I know now). I used to live in Dallas and we were a 2 income family. There were many places that had used lenses locally and I had the money to buy nicer, more expensive stuff. Luckily I got a small handful of AF lenses (wish I would have bought a better collection or at least a few more select AF lenses). There were also endless possibilities for hunting thrift shops and pawn shops and yard sales and such.

Now I live in Niagara falls NY. The only camera store closed (everyone is too poor to afford cameras I'm guessing). This whole area has become a very poor getto (very low income statistically and it shows). The whole town looks run down.

I have looked at camera shops in Buffalo and found nothing promising either. There are 2 options (trying to find the info on either of these again, I need to write it down somewhere safe). There is supposedly a guy that runs a business out of his home and has a lot of camera lenses somewhere in buffalo (maybe an hour away). I can not find who it is anymore though. There is also supposedly a larger camera store in upstate NY somewhere with a lot of used inventory either 900 miles away or 9 hours away or something like that (maybe around Syracuse?).

Luckily I have about gotten my fill with MF lenses (nothing much left to buy that is not a variation of something I have). I'm starting to have a decent enough collection of AF lenses too. A good AF super zoom is about all I have lacked that I wanted for a while. The 28-200mm is about what I can afford for super zooms. The only thing I lack is a lot of really fast glass and a camera body with better iso and shake reduction would be smarter and cheaper than fast glass. I guess I could expand on my prime collection (I have a handful of MF ones and no AF primes) but I never found myself using primes much. I guess I probably should.

Thanks for the info on the repair and the clarification. I was assuming something was broken rather than loose too (the seller swears it was fine so it was most likely broken in shipping).
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote

I have looked at camera shops in Buffalo and found nothing promising either. There are 2 options (trying to find the info on either of these again, I need to write it down somewhere safe). There is supposedly a guy that runs a business out of his home and has a lot of camera lenses somewhere in buffalo (maybe an hour away). I can not find who it is anymore though. There is also supposedly a larger camera store in upstate NY somewhere with a lot of used inventory either 900 miles away or 9 hours away or something like that (maybe around Syracuse?).
What camera stores have you tried in Buffalo? There is a store in Buffalo listed as a Pentax retailer. Neve been ther myself as it's a three hour drive from Syracuse. There is a camera shop in Rochester with a large used inventory, I have no idea if they have any Pentax lenses or not. I can assure you that there are no camera shops in Syracuse that carry anything Pentax.

This may be the place in Rochester...
http://rocwiki.org/Photo_Source_Ltd

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.