Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

macro extention for FA 77

hi guys

can you recommend a good macro extension for my FA 77 and any drawbacks using a extension rather than a dedicated macro.

thanks

04-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here it is what I did...
SMC Pentax 50mm 1/1.7 + 1 lens element from the other lens + ring from a filter...and some shots with this monster... :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What you don't need: Extension tubes with autofocus linkage. AF isn't useful with macro (1:2 or greater magnification).

What you probably want: Extension with A-type connectors, to control the aperture from the camera, and to use pTTL flash.

What you may have to settle for: A-type teleconverters with the glass removed so they function as simple extension.

What you could get away with: M-type extension tubes or TCs, with a mechanical linkage to stop-down the aperture.

I just searched eBay for A-type macro tubes and I can't find anyone selling any. I haven't searched for M-type tubes or TCs because they're almost as limiting as ultra-cheap extension tubes (under US$10 per set, shipped worldwide from China). Your best option is probably to buy old A-type TCs and remove the glass. These might cost about US$30 each. They are usually about 25mm thick so you would need three of them to reach 1:1 magnification with your FA77Ltd.

Pros and cons: A 'dedicated' macro lens will be convenient, and expensive. A modern AF macro lens in the short-tele 90-105mm range can also be used for headshot portraits and general photography. Macro lenses are designed for edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness; the Limiteds aren't. Using extension with your FA77Ltd is economical, and the optics are fine as long as you DON'T need edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness.

If you want to work close without spending lots of money, consider a Raynox close-up optic to mount on the front of your lens. A true macro lens will perform better at edges; tubes will also be optically cleaner than a close-up adapter; but both macro lenses and extension reduce the light that reaches the camera. Close-up adapters don't eat light.

I'm a cheap bastard. See my article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

Last edited by RioRico; 04-07-2012 at 10:03 PM.
04-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the info. but with a Raynox close-up optic how much of a maginification can i get. will it be 1:1. and how much of light will it eat away in terms of stops.and lastly what effect will it have with IQ of the image.and thanks for the link

Last edited by nirVaan; 04-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.
04-07-2012, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
thanks for the info. but with a Raynox close-up optic how much of a maginification can i get. will it be 1:1. and how much of light will it eat away in terms of stops.and lastly what effect will it have with IQ of the image.and thanks for the link
1) How to calculate magnification from focal length and dioptre:

M = F*D/1000 -- where M is magnification, F is host lens focal length, and D is dioptre of the add-on lens.

The Raynox DCR-250 (stronger than the DCR-150) is +8dpt. We solve the formula as:

M = 77*8/1000 = 0.616x or 1:1.6 -- that's within macro range.

2) Front adapters like the Raynox don't eat light, and may even give a very slight boost. They also don't interfere with any other lens function, so you still have focus and aperture automation.

3) IQ using a Raynox, especially at image edges, isn't quite as good as with extension, but that may only be noticeable with close inspection, i.e. pixel-peeping. See the Raynox Club here for some absolutely brilliant images.

If 1:1.6 magnification isn't quite enough, then you can add extension. One de-glassed A-type TC that's 25mm thick should get you close to 1:1 when you use the DCR-250 also.
04-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Plus one for the add-on lenses. Or what Vasyl did, since it's fundamentally the same, just a bit more adventurous. If you search ze bay you could get generic +2/4/6 etc add-ons, but they are usually not up to scratch, especially since you have the 77mm. The Raynox seem to be the icing of the lot, though.
I do have an "Apinar" close-up filter, the specs I have no idea of. It doesn't affect IQ that much.

You could also get an old manual lens for peanuts and reverse-mount it.

PS @Vasyl, which species of parrot is that feather from?

Last edited by Giklab; 04-08-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling mistake&extra info
04-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
PS @Vasyl, which species of parrot is that feather from?
The one similar to the Freelance Writer Files: It isn’t easy being a green parakeet mom. | Kansas City Freelance Writer Liz Craig
04-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I just searched eBay for A-type macro tubes and I can't find anyone selling any.
SRB Griturn has them, for only $250.or thereabouts (pizzas for a month?):
SLR Auto Extension Tubes