Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Professional Fishing Guide Endorses Pentax DSLR!

I never met a single Pentaxian in my home country whenever I saw someone lugging a DSLR. Imagine my surprise when a professional fishing guide showed me his K20D when he spotted my K5. Big bang for buck, weather sealed, good IQ, says the guide when he was guiding me during my fishing trip in Melville Island, Australia.

He said Pentax DSLR is quite popular with professional guides due to those reasons and he wishes for more choice of WR lenses.

04-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And exactly the ad Pentax should be running. They could get endorsements from professional guides,
bass fishermen, maybe sponsor a bass competition. Pentax needs a niche, and this is a great one, outdoors people spend lots of money on gear, but it has to be tough and reliable, and light weight.

"Pentax, tough enough for real professionals"
"Pentax, when the last thing you want to worry about is your camera"
"Your fishing gear did not let you down, don't let your camera either"
"Remember, no pictures, it didn't happen, get a camera as tough as you are"
"It took three hours to land it, do you really want a camera that isn't tough enough to record it?"
"You're cold, wet, tired and you just landed the fish of a lifetime, make sure your camera is as tough as you are"
04-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
And an ozzy as well cant remember the last time I saw any advertising for Pentax here
04-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And exactly the ad Pentax should be running. They could get endorsements from professional guides,
bass fishermen, maybe sponsor a bass competition. Pentax needs a niche, and this is a great one, outdoors people spend lots of money on gear, but it has to be tough and reliable, and light weight.

"Pentax, tough enough for real professionals"
"Pentax, when the last thing you want to worry about is your camera"
"Your fishing gear did not let you down, don't let your camera either"
"Remember, no pictures, it didn't happen, get a camera as tough as you are"
"It took three hours to land it, do you really want a camera that isn't tough enough to record it?"
"You're cold, wet, tired and you just landed the fish of a lifetime, make sure your camera is as tough as you are"
You'd make a great Ad-man jimH

04-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
You'd make a great Ad-man jimH
Thank you, sir! I did it a bit for my own company years ago. I hired ad companies who came up with fancy ad campaigns but none of them had the passion I had for my own business, and their ads were just cold and generic. Nothing worked well until I started to inject what I believed were the strengths of the brand.

No one who is not passionate about the brand or product they are promoting can do it as well. To an ad agency you are just another client with something to sell. Not saying pro ad people are not good, they are, and they have training and skills most of us do not. But unless the ad has a spark of true passion it is just another ad.

This started as a quick comment but now my brain is spinning.

What about Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops? Do they sell cameras? Pentax is looking for brick & mortar retailers, how about those two as a start. Combined with an outdoor themed ad campaign, to sell both the WG line as well as an upsell to the k-5 and WR lenses. Those stores have good staff, enormous foot traffic, and a clientele that would be receptive to a tough light weight camera system. Especially one sold to them in an environment they feel comfortable in, a sporting goods store. Also, I believe Pentax still makes binoculars and scopes, is that not a direct tie in?

How about an ad comparing weight and size of cameras: "man with Pentax K-5 and WR lens hikes past man with huge FF DSLR struggling to put on the rain cover to protect his gear. Wind blows cover away, as Pentax man stops to take a couple snaps and then strides on into the storm."
04-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
He still uses the original strap... that's the thing that caught my eye

But, I guess as a fishing guide, you don't need anything special - not really lugging it around while steering a boat!
04-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good one jatrax!

Those into fishing photography will know Brian O Keefe. He lugs top of the range Canon 1d to take those breath taking photos. The k5 is the aps-c equivalent that deserves more publicity amongst the extreme and outdoor sport fraternity. Many of these guys want more than point and shoot compact but threw Canon and Nikon are just too expensive.