Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Looks sharp to me! Those are great images, Joe!

04-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Wow. Looks sharp to me! Those are great images, Joe!
Thanks! Now that I am getting used to it I see the problem was me. Learned something today -> this is a really good lens!

04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are these soccer shots AF? Are you still going to return this copy for another? I'm still leaning towards the Tamron for my sport zoom, but maybe I shouldn't cheap out for once.
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Are these soccer shots AF? Are you still going to return this copy for another? I'm still leaning towards the Tamron for my sport zoom, but maybe I shouldn't cheap out for once.
I am keeping it - these are AF, the issue was with me, after turning off the SR and OS, everything is spot on (still have the adjustment for BF set, I will eventually have that fixed later down the road). After comparing shots from this against the Tamron, I think it a no brainer to spend the extra money for the Sigma, especially now that there is the $100 instant rebate. Here are some more soccer pics: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/115277-k-5-sports-photog...ml#post1911375

EDIT: Look at the 5th picture down in that set, the resolution is sooooooo high with this lens that you can make out the fly that was in the near center of the frame (below the girls hand), that is pretty impressive. Also, those pics were done at f/5 and no pp other than the import to LR with defaults and export to jpeg - the super hot spot of the lens is suppose to be between 5.6 and 8, so far I have found it to be really good wide open and above...

04-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I am keeping it - these are AF, the issue was with me, after turning off the SR and OS, everything is spot on (still have the adjustment for BF set, I will eventually have that fixed later down the road). After comparing shots from this against the Tamron, I think it a no brainer to spend the extra money for the Sigma, especially now that there is the $100 instant rebate. Here are some more soccer pics: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/115277-k-5-sports-photog...ml#post1911375

EDIT: Look at the 5th picture down in that set, the resolution is sooooooo high with this lens that you can make out the fly that was in the near center of the frame (below the girls hand), that is pretty impressive...
You said you turned them off? Have you used it hand held with either the OS or the SR? Did you take these shots on a monopod? I understand in good light you don't need the SR or OS, but it would be nice to know if either makes the camera hand hold-able if necessary. I think the big lure for me would be the quiet and faster focus. I have seen some amazing output from the Tamron also, so I think the IQ is pretty close on these. As RioRico says though, the IQ of a missed shot is 0. The Sigma seems to be the more reliable of the two lenses in that respect, but at a $500 premium, I did say I should not cheap out for once right? Do you know how long this $100 rebate is going on?

Last edited by kenafein; 04-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You said you turned them off? Have you used it hand held with either the OS or the SR?
I have only shot handheld with it - and yes, the bird pictures on the previous page was with SR on and handheld.

I think the big lure for me would be the quiet and faster focus. I have seen some amazing output from the Tamron also, so I think the IQ is pretty close on these.
I have seen pretty descent output from the tammy, after comparing output from both across flickr and real comparative reviews the sigma really shined and by a pretty wide margin. One of the biggest pluses is the near lack of CA, it's really almost non existent in the Sigma.

The Sigma seems to be the more reliable of the two lenses in that respect, but at a $500 premium. Do you know how long this $100 rebate is going on?
I think the $100 is good until May 31st, so it's still on for a while. I think the $500 more is worth it, one thing with this lens is I can still use CIF while in MF mode with this lens which you can not do with the Tamron.
04-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think the $100 is good until May 31st, so it's still on for a while. I think the $500 more is worth it, one thing with this lens is I can still use CIF while in MF mode with this lens which you can not do with the Tamron.
That is true. Quickshift focus and being able to use CIF are big bonuses. Thanks for the input, you may have made me $500 poorer. Still going to sleep on it. I hadn't planned on buying until the end of the year, and this blows my wide angle budget too.

This being HSM, I think my TC also won't work. Is that true? I think I'd have to buy a Sigma TC.
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still going to sleep on it. I hadn't planned on buying until the end of the year, and this blows my wide angle budget too.

This being HSM, I think my TC also won't work. Is that true? I think I'd have to buy a Sigma TC.
I haven't tried a TC with it yet - which TC do you have? (even if HSM won't work, you still have MF with CIF for it)

I will be shooting some more soccer this weekend (overcast conditions) and also will be shooting some band shots with it - I will let you know how that goes and will post some more pics...

04-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I will be shooting some more soccer this weekend (overcast conditions) and also will be shooting some band shots with it - I will let you know how that goes and will post some more pics...
Definitely let us know how it goes, Joe. My greatest interest is the focus accuracy in low-ish contrast situations...