Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 70-200 OS FLD, Maybe Have Issue

Well, let me ask a couple of questions maybe other users of this lens can give me some insight on it:

@bossa - I know you mentioned you have used this lens
@Adam - You reviewed the lens (not sure if these issues came up though in your copy)
@RonHendriks1966 - I know you use this lens extensively

Ok, on my copy the focus tick mark is not aligning up with the infinity mark when focused at infinity (see pic below), this is not normal is it?. Also, everything that I shoot seems to be over-exposing anywhere from 1/2 to a full stop - sharpness seems to be off which may because improper focus. Has anyone experienced any of these issues with this piece?

Thanks in advance for the help...

04-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Strange. Can you exchange it? That's what I'd do if possible...
04-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Return it, if you can. On the plus side, your Tamron 28-75mm seems to be working quite well!
04-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #4

Hello

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well, let me ask a couple of questions maybe other users of this lens can give me some insight on it:

@bossa - I know you mentioned you have used this lens
@Adam - You reviewed the lens (not sure if these issues came up though in your copy)
@RonHendriks1966 - I know you use this lens extensively

Ok, on my copy the focus tick mark is not aligning up with the infinity mark when focused at infinity (see pic below), this is not normal is it?. Also, everything that I shoot seems to be over-exposing anywhere from 1/2 to a full stop - sharpness seems to be off which may because improper focus. Has anyone experienced any of these issues with this piece?

Thanks in advance for the help...
...My copy has the exact same thing!,its got that little sideways "L" mark that seems like its guiding you down to where infinity really is,above F22?,either way my lens fous's to infinity fine!

04-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's the first time that I look at that little window and everything is normal with my copy. My focussing is brighter then on my DA*300, so that might be a difference in transmitting light or so. It doesn't overexpose to my idea.
04-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Strange. Can you exchange it? That's what I'd do if possible...
Yes - I have to wait until middle of the month though, B&H is closed until then.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Return it, if you can. On the plus side, your Tamron 28-75mm seems to be working quite well!
Yep, no problems with the Tammy

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
...My copy has the exact same thing!,its got that little sideways "L" mark that seems like its guiding you down to where infinity really is,above F22?,either way my lens fous's to infinity fine!
Well, yes, mine still focuses at infinity also, I am just hoping there is no other underlying issue...

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It's the first time that I look at that little window and everything is normal with my copy. My focussing is brighter then on my DA*300, so that might be a difference in transmitting light or so. It doesn't overexpose to my idea.
So Ron, when you focus at infinity the tick mark between the two "22's" lines up correctly with the infinity focus tick mark when you lock on focus at infinity?
04-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So Ron, when you focus at infinity the tick mark between the two "22's" lines up correctly with the infinity focus tick mark when you lock on focus at infinity?
Yes it does. My lens has severely backfocus, but that is solved with a correction of +10.
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I seen online where some people that have copies that were back-focusing badly have sent them to Sigma and they have calibrated the lenses and have come back super sharp from wide open and on. I may send this copy back to B&H and get a replacement, then if there are issues with the replacement I will send that to Sigma for calibration. A +10 adjustment to be quite huge...

Yes it does. My lens has severely backfocus, but that is solved with a correction of +10.

04-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I seen online where some people that have copies that were back-focusing badly have sent them to Sigma and they have calibrated the lenses and have come back super sharp from wide open and on. I may send this copy back to B&H and get a replacement, then if there are issues with the replacement I will send that to Sigma for calibration. A +10 adjustment to be quite huge...
Yeah, the only thing that has prevented me from doing that in the past is that your camera has to be sent in with the lens (at least, that's what I heard)... I really can't sacrifice be without my camera like that, so I've never done it.
04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Well I did considder to bring it to service at Sigma locally, but the lens works fine for me. Maybe I do that with my next camerabody. They also change the chip so our camera reads wich lens it is (I heard).
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Yeah, the only thing that has prevented me from doing that in the past is that your camera has to be sent in with the lens (at least, that's what I heard)... I really can't sacrifice be without my camera like that, so I've never done it.
The service center is in NY which is kind of local if talking shipping time (1 day UPS) - as long as it don't take a couple of weeks I think I will be ok without the K5 for a little bit. The service calibration sounds really tasty as from the post I read about it that particular user got it back and noted it was razor sharp even wide open after the calibration; really tempting...

Well I did considder to bring it to service at Sigma locally, but the lens works fine for me. Maybe I do that with my next camerabody. They also change the chip so our camera reads wich lens it is (I heard).
Ya, I just think that the tolerance should be a little better than having to do a +10 adjustment - this makes it hard for me to use it on the Kx without setting the +10 in the debug menu which is not lens specific and would apply the +10 to all lenses even the ones that are fine...
04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Ubuntu_user - How does your copy of the Sigma match up with your DA*200 in sharpness?

@RonHendriks1966 - Ron, have you tested sharpness with your copy against the 50~135 at like focal lengths?

I am struggling a bit with this thing and just can't seem to pop tack sharp images with it and just can't figure out what is going on. One thing that I have noticed, it seems metering is off a little with this lens (when compared to my 50~135 and the tamron 28-75), shooting the same subject under the same ambient light and the same f/stop, the tamron and da* matched perfectly while the sigma was slower (this would explain why it seems to be blowing highlights).

EDIT: Maybe I am just too damn picky or something, pulling my hair out at the moment (whats left of my hair)...

Last edited by joe.penn; 04-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
04-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Joe, I haven't actually tried the new OS version. I hear it's a lot sharper than the old HSM II version (which I don't doubt at all). The old HSM II ones that I tried (yeah, I went through several of them and never was satisfied, finally settled for the 50-150mm instead) couldn't even come close to the wide open performance of the DA* 200mm.
I would even say that the Tamron 70-200mm isn't as sharp as the DA* 200mm wide open.
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The DA*200 wins over the Sigma. My guess is that the DA*50-135mm will winn over the Sigma af f2.8 and f3.2. Never compared them at the same time since I never owned them at the same time. I sold DA*50-135 to get the DA*200 and returned that one in favor for the Sigma.
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info @Ubuntu_user and @RonHendriks1966 - I think my head is just too cloudy at the moment, I went out this morning and took some shots using MF mode and looks like I get a couple of descent ones:

Wide Open @ f/2.8 - 200mm

f/6.3 @ about 100mm

f/5.0 @ about 160mm

f/5.0 @ about 130mm

I may still get a replacement copy as the metering is off by a 1/3 stop compared to 3 other lenses I checked it against, maybe a replacement will also help with the +10 BF the lens is off by.

One thing is certain, CA is really non existent in this lens - any other lens would have almost certainly CA'd in the flight shots against that clear sky...