Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
... and get the wrong idea about how useful this feature can be.

It is just not implemented as well on DSLRs - a poor refresh rate and an annoying flicker is what I see on my Pentax DSLRs. I heard from Canon users that their cameras are not stellar in this area either.

Focus peaking would help, but it's not been added yet to any DSLR.
That's the age difference between them in terms of software advantages not more.
Take the K-01 for example, almost the same sensor as the K-5 a different processor and without a mirror and all that stuff but the basic imaging unit is the same.
There is no reason why a K5 can not preform focus peaking or have the same live-view as the K-01

wanna bet the new pentax DSLR have the same feature as the K-01?
Only thing that might be different is the shutter actuation so more shutter lag in live view compared to the K-01.

04-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There is no reason why a K5 can not preform focus peaking or have the same live-view as the K-01
Except that it presently doesn't match the K-01 and it probably never will. Its successor may gain parity but now we're talking about things that have not been made yet.

wanna bet the new pentax DSLR have the same feature as the K-01?
I wouldn't make a real bet, but my expectation is that parity will not be reached in the next model. I just don't expect this to be an important goal on their list of things to do in a DSLR.
04-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take the K-01 for example, almost the same sensor as the K-5 a different processor and without a mirror and all that stuff but the basic imaging unit is the same.
There is no reason why a K5 can not preform focus peaking or have the same live-view as the K-01.
True... But why would you want to have focus peaking in a DSLR? Focus peaking is a tool to overcome the lacking viewfinder. A DSLR doesn't have that disability. In my experience, focus peaking is a overrated feature. On the other hand, different people prefer different methods, of course.

Ontopic: About the softness wide open. No, a f1.2 doesn't have to be soft per se. The Revuenon and the Cosinon 55 f1.2 are sharper wide open then the Pentax 50 1.2. And that makes them very usable at that aperture. They only lack the beautiful Pentax colour rendering.
04-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #49
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
F1.2 50mm...worth it or not?

I guess at the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice. However, IMHO it's a fine lens.

Is it better than the F1.4 & F1.7 counterparts well thats really down to the individual photographer and only you can decide on that one. The will be all sorts of pros and cons for both ownership and usage, many of which have been already covered here in this thread.

For me, I'm happy with mine as it gives me a bright viewfinder in all conditions and as part of my tool bag, it allows me to capture the images I need on a daily basis.

04-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
why would you want to have focus peaking in a DSLR? Focus peaking is a tool to overcome the lacking viewfinder. A DSLR doesn't have that disability. In my experience, focus peaking is a overrated feature. On the other hand, different people prefer different methods
Well, I have a K-5 and an A 50/1.2. Despite having a viewfinder and a Tenpa 1.22x magnifier, it is very very difficult to consistently achieve accurate focus via the viewfinder.

The only way I can consistently get good focus with the 50/1.2 is using liveview (magnified). This is time consuming and because the image is zoomed, the composition/framing can then be a problem. But when it works, you can get resuls with the 1.2 you just can't get with even a 1.4.

For me, focus peaking on the K-5 would be a brilliant feature when using large aperture manual focus lenses.

Also, for shooting video where every lens is a manual focus lens and having a viewfinder is irrelevant.

Last edited by Kennod; 04-12-2012 at 03:24 AM.
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I wouldn't make a real bet, but my expectation is that parity will not be reached in the next model. I just don't expect this to be an important goal on their list of things to do in a DSLR.
But it's already in the firmware and more often then not we see features get past on through the generation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
True... But why would you want to have focus peaking in a DSLR? Focus peaking is a tool to overcome the lacking viewfinder. A DSLR doesn't have that disability. In my experience, focus peaking is a overrated feature. On the other hand, different people prefer different methods, of course.
Kennod already explained it and i want to add low light photography.
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #52
Banned

But it's already in the firmware and more often then not we see features get past on through the generation.
They could add it in firmware, but without hardware supporting a faster refresh rate, the implementation would be choppier. Better than nothing, to be sure, but still not up to par with the K-01.

04-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Kennod already explained it and i want to add low light photography.
My experience with the f1.2 is that the viewfinder gets really very bright. An APSC viewfinder cannot get any brighter then that. Ideal for low light photography. At the same time, my NEX5n sucked in low light. It has a pitch black screen. The focus peaking does not work at all when it's dark. And there's no viewfinder to try instead. At least in a OVF there's something.

They could add it in firmware, but without hardware supporting a faster refresh rate, the implementation would be choppier. Better than nothing, to be sure, but still not up to par with the K-01.
There is no reason why they wouldn't implement it in the next DSLR / K5 replacement. Including the better refresh rate. It's only logical that the flagship model get all the features.
04-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Well, I have a K-5 and an A 50/1.2. Despite having a viewfinder and a Tenpa 1.22x magnifier, it is very very difficult to consistently achieve accurate focus via the viewfinder.

The only way I can consistently get good focus with the 50/1.2 is using liveview (magnified). This is time consuming and because the image is zoomed, the composition/framing can then be a problem. But when it works, you can get resuls with the 1.2 you just can't get with even a 1.4.

For me, focus peaking on the K-5 would be a brilliant feature when using large aperture manual focus lenses.

Also, for shooting video where every lens is a manual focus lens and having a viewfinder is irrelevant.
It sounds like your problem is really with manual focusing in general. The A 50/1.2 is going to be easier to focus in low light than any other A 50mm lens when using aperture priority.
04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #55

I upgraded the focusing screen of the K5 to the Canon S type, and since my SMC-A 50mm f/1.2 has come to life again.
I nail focus almost every time, esp if the subject is not moving.
Wide open the lens is very dreamy. At f/2, the 43 is way sharper, and the 43 is not as sharp as the 31 wide open (far from it).
Super-dreamy can be nice, for baby pics, flowers sometimes, etc.
If you back off your subject, at f/1.2, you still have plenty of separation power, and a more workable DOF.
For low light, it's great to focus, but i don't use it wide open unless i'm going for "that look".
Stopped down it sharpens up very nicely, for landscapes, etc.

Note to self: I gotta get a flickr or pbase account so i can link some pics!