Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #46
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't owned or used enough lenses to really hate any of them. But I'm glad to see folks mention the M 28/2.8. I have an A 28/2.8 but I find myself not using it because so far the images have a blah quality about them. It is a little reassuring to know that the blah factor may not just be due to the photographer . I'm also debating whether to keep my A70-210/4 for similar reasons, and also because the reverse nature of the push-pull (the 70mm is at the extreme push end) is bugging me - but only because I love using my A 35-105/3.5.

04-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I haven't owned or used enough lenses to really hate any of them. But I'm glad to see folks mention the M 28/2.8. I have an A 28/2.8 but I find myself not using it because so far the images have a blah quality about them. It is a little reassuring to know that the blah factor may not just be due to the photographer . I'm also debating whether to keep my A70-210/4 for similar reasons, and also because the reverse nature of the push-pull (the 70mm is at the extreme push end) is bugging me - but only because I love using my A 35-105/3.5.
I understand that the A version is a different, and improved, optical formula. This is why a previous poster asked if the M was a version 1 or 2. The version 2 is rarer and has the same optics as the A, but in the M body. Most are the version 1 (as mine was). I would pick up a version 2 if I saw one for a reasonable price, so don't dismiss your A version based on this thread, it's not the same lens.
04-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #48
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I understand that the A version is a different, and improved, optical formula. This is why a previous poster asked if the M was a version 1 or 2. The version 2 is rarer and has the same optics as the A, but in the M body. Most are the version 1 (as mine was). I would pick up a version 2 if I saw one for a reasonable price, so don't dismiss your A version based on this thread, it's not the same lens.
Kick away a man's crutch why don't you
04-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Cheap mirror lenses. I've tried several, and they have all been without fail, abysmal.

The Tair 3M-5CA on the other hand is excellent. Night & day difference. My wife's Tokina isn't the equal of the Tair, but it's miles ahead of the cheap ones.
Not only cheap ones - my 400-600 Pentax isn't a stellar performer either (the F*300/4.5 cropped out-performs it by a wide margin, for example) but it is an interesting conversation piece.

04-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I was disappointed with my DA70 Ltd. It was my first limited and I thought it was too normal (just didn't feel the magic) and the barel wobbled a bit. I thought the DA 35 2.4 was better. The 2nd limited I obtained the DA15 was much tighter and I felt it was a true limited lens.
04-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #51
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
understand that the A version is a different, and improved, optical formula. This is why a previous poster asked if the M was a version 1 or 2. The version 2 is rarer and has the same optics as the A, but in the M body. Most are the version 1 (as mine was). I would pick up a version 2 if I saw one for a reasonable price, so don't dismiss your A version based on this thread, it's not the same lens.
Thank you for the clarification. I'm certainly not rushing to get rid of the lens, and hopefully will find more occasions to play with it once I get past my current desire to try to shoot macro.
04-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Pentax SMC 105mm

04-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My biggest disappointment was the FA 28-80 f/3,5-4,7 , adcquired second hand to test the Power zoom function of my Z-1p in 2001 . The build quality was bad , the optical quality nothing special and therefore, after 6 months , I decided to sell it and get a second hand wonderful K 28 f/3,5 . What a change !
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #54
Veteran Member

The DA 21mm f3.2 Limited. Used it sparsely for a month or so and sold it. I think the biggest issue for me was the slow aperature, f3.2 is just not quick enough for dimly lit situations, but then again I absolutely loved the DA 15mm f4. I think I just had a different mind set about the lens than the 15mm. I was hoping the 21mm would become my go-to walk around lens, but it just didn't happen... Had some wonderful shots with it, but I just couldn't grow to love it.
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #55
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
The DA 21mm f3.2 Limited.
Sounds like it just wasn't the right focal length for your walkabout purposes rather than it being a 'disappointing' lens.
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sounds like it just wasn't the right focal length for your walkabout purposes rather than it being a 'disappointing' lens.
No, I thoroughly enjoy the focal length, it was wide enough where I didn't feel like I was far away, but I can still capture the whole image. I still think my biggest problem with the lens was that the aperture is too slow. I tend to walk around during the day and night times; the day times were mostly great, but if I try to blur the background, the f3.2 aperture just wasn’t cutting it. And if I use it at night, I would have to bump up the iso, which I don’t like to do. Again, I have taken some wonderful images with this lens, but it was not worth keeping due to some of my personal preference. I realize that the Sigma 30mm f1.4 or the FA 31mm f1.8 would serve me better. In the end, it was a lens that I was dissatisfied with.
04-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had several over the years but have gotten rid of them. Two that I still have but NEVER use are the original Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-F/4.5. My copy has horrible CA, soft everywhere but dead center and is prone to flare. I still hold on to it thinking "but it's a good travel lens". But I don't do all that much traveling. Go figure. The other lens I own but never use is the FA 35mm F/2.0. It's sharp enough, but I've never been able to warm to it. I've got the DA 35mm F/2.4 that I like MUCH better. Theoretically they have the same optical formula, But one I think is great and the other is meh. I should sell the FA 35.

NaCl(if I turn a profit on it, no matter how bad it is, it's not a disappointment)H2O
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I tend to walk around during the day and night times; the day times were mostly great, but if I try to blur the background, the f3.2 aperture just wasn’t cutting it. And if I use it at night, I would have to bump up the iso, which I don’t like to do.
This gave me yet another wicked idea.

PROBLEM: Fast wide lenses are hard to find.
SOLUTION: Stack 0.25x FE adapter onto K50/1.2 giving 12/1.2 optic.
RESULT: Umm, well, the images are rather, umm, impressionistic...

OK, let's rethink that. Maybe a longer lens...

RETRY; Stack 0.25x FE adapter onto Nikkor 85/2 giving 21/2 optic.
RESULT: Shall I lie, and say that the results look better? Whatever...

OK, where's that 20/1.4 we've been waiting for?
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
my 400-600 Pentax isn't a stellar performer either
Wow! A mirror zoom, eh? First time I've heard of one of those. Sounds like a rare bird.
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #60
Inactive Account

For me, it is the DA* 16-50. It's the only thing Pentax that has ever broken on me - ever (knock on wood). Good lens, bad SDM.