Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just converted mine to a non-SDM lens last night. Man, this lens focus really fast on my K5IIs! It locks focus pretty quickly even under room light while I knew it's gonna struggle a bit w SDM. BTW, mine has no SDM issue. I just wanted to see the difference between SDM focusing and non-SDM one. Now I'd keep my 16-50 this way that's for sure.

Helped to convert my friend's copy too, and he was so happy that his 1650 w dead SDM finally came back to life after over one year rest.

Might convert the 50-135 later on too, but that one still under warranty, and its AF isn't as slow as the 1650 W SDM, so I'm fine w it as is.

01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Is this really a "great lens", with so many negative or mediocre reviews (user and professional) and reported SDM failures? Are we suffering from a galloping case of denial?
Great is a difficult term. The 16-50 is not as good as pentax's primes in the same range, but it is a lot more flexible and has nice colors and contrast. Most of what makes a lens "great" (like the 15 limited for instance) are the people using it.

A lens like the FA 50 ends up getting overrated because it is often the first prime that a beginner will get. This is the trouble with reviews. Those who bought the 16-50 will tend to review things harder than those reviewing some of pentax's other lenses.
01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The 16-50 is not as good as pentax's primes in the same range, but it is a lot more flexible and has nice colors and contrast.
True, no zoom will ever be as good as a prime, but it does offers flexibility. When I first got my 16-50 it performed better that I tought it would be. It gave me great pictures, nice colors, good wide end, great WR, but then the SDM failed. I still think that optically, for been a zoom, it's good, maybe a bit expensive. I do like the WR, and need it and use it, and this keeps me hanging to my copy, even after the failures and repairs. Hopefully after it comes back from Japan it goes back to be what it was when I first got it.
01-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #34

I like it a lot and have had no problems. Might not be a really helpful review, but it is for me the only thing I have to know about mine.

01-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Someone said the 2012 ones are sdm problem free. Not sure about that but mine went from water resistant to 'water proof'. It survived a four feet dive but took weeks to recover.

It exceeded my expectations. Optically it excels f4 and above. I am holding my breath for the upcoming 16 85. Hopefully it is f2.8 -4.0 and sharp from there on. Also, Having macro function helps too!