Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Love - Hate, Pentax 16-50mm?

Anyone feel the same way about the 16-50?

There are days when I use it and the results I get are great. You look at the images and it's such an awesome lens...

Then there are days when you shoot with it and it's terrible. You think about selling it.

It's just probably my lens, but the sharpness at infinity focus is terrible. Focus overall is kind of all over the place too...

04-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

Same feelings for me. I don't use it so much because occasionally shots results as so great, some times just as normal.
I believe that I just have a better feeling with other lens than with 16-50, I don't truly understand that lens.
04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

The problem of good days and bad days I get with all my lenses, so in my case at least the fault probably lies with the photogrpher ;-).

I found the results I got with the 16-50 to be among my personal best during the time I used it. My reason for selling the lens had nothing to do with the quality, I just found out that in most cases I preferred working with primes and as a snapshot lens it was just to big.
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
nah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
The problem of good days and bad days I get with all my lenses, so in my case at least the fault probably lies with the photogrpher ;-).

I found the results I got with the 16-50 to be among my personal best during the time I used it. My reason for selling the lens had nothing to do with the quality, I just found out that in most cases I preferred working with primes and as a snapshot lens it was just to big.
I have no problems when I use my 35mm Ltd. I'm happy with all the shots I get from it, be it landscapes, macros, or portraits.

04-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I love mine, no issues with it, since I got it, my k-5 felt complete with the lens it should have, before that I just never got the same sense of completeness and harmony with the camera when I had my DA limiteds.
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got mine recently, and I'm trying hard to fall in love with it. I have it's sibling DA* zooms (50-135 and 60-250) and love them both, but the 16-50 just doesn't have the same impact on me. Maybe I'm just not a 'wide' shooter? Dunno
04-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I really love mine and it's been great with my K10D, Kx, K7.

sharpness is not a problem but the only concern for me is CA.

04-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote

It's just probably my lens, but the sharpness at infinity focus is terrible. Focus overall is kind of all over the place too...
That was my initial experience with that lens too (mounted on K-7). The problem is that the lens can focus past infinity and if you have back-focusing issue the lens will try to focus "farer" than infinity resulting in soft images. Somewhat later I re-calibrated it. Even +10 in AF microadjastment was not enough so I had to get into debug menu and enter +140 there (and reset microadjustmen value in non-debug menu). After that I was able to get very sharp pictures at all focusing distances. The above issue was with K-7 but for K-5 I just had to make +2 AF micro adjustment. If you have a K-5 then I suggest you to mount your camera on a tripod, turn on Live View and focus on some distant object using contrast-detection AF, take note on distance scale on your lens and then turn off the Live View and focus using phase-detectaion AF to see the difference.
04-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think at the extremes the lens is not as strong as perhaps it should be for it's current price: 16mm f/2.8 doesn't show off what the lens can do elsewhere in its range. I got it before the prices rises a few years ago and I think for what I paid (~£450) it represents fair value for me - it rains a lot where I live! But for it's current price it's a harder sell.

But it's capable for great things, and I very much like it's rendering and contrast.
04-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have no issues with AF. Of course it could be a lot faster, but that is a different story...
Generally speaking I am quite happy with the image quality, with the exception of wide open at 16mm.
04-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have never had problems focusing my DA*16-50 at infinity. Excluding user error, your issue may mean that there is something wrong with the lens, the camera body or the combination of the two. I would suggest sending both to Pentax repair to find out and fix the problem.

Rob
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

what I can say is it is a lot better than kit lens
I sent out my 16-50 for repair, so now my primary lens is kit lens, took a lot img recently, the impression is my img come out softer.
When I was using 16-50, I am not 100% content about the img quality, but now I think it is very good zoom lens.......
04-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
nah

Original Poster
It being as dodgy as it is, I can't believe Pentax is now selling this lens for $1499. For that price the Canon 24-70mm (ver 1) blows it out of the water optically.
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Forum Member

This is the lens that lives on my K7. I have taken 20,000+ images with it. When I have images that I am not happy with I can usually find what I did wrong. If something happened to mine I guess I would be spending the $1,499 to replace it.
04-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RossCo Quote
This is the lens that lives on my K7. I have taken 20,000+ images with it. When I have images that I am not happy with I can usually find what I did wrong. If something happened to mine I guess I would be spending the $1,499 to replace it.
Amen. I've got about the 8th from the oldest one listed in the serial database here---from 2007 I think it's on my 3rd camera body. when I first got it i worked as a screw mount for a while before a software upgrade came out allowing the SDM to actually be supported... it remains my
lense of choice.