Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FA 31mm Limited: filters touching front element?

I saw a reference (in a video) to the fact that the glass in some filters can actually touch the convex front element on the FA 31mm LTD. I'd be curious to know if anyone here has run into this problem, and which brands/mounts of filters work or don't work with this lens. Is it just a matter of thin filter rings vs. the traditional thicker style, or is it not that simple? The video said that the Hoya HMC and S-HMC filters are ok, but I think the rings for at least some of those filters may have changed in recent years and I don't know exactly which ones they were talking about (e.g. HMC UV(0) thick frame vs. HMC UV(C) thin frame).

04-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Never heard such a thing and I have used thin frame Hoya filter with my 31mm.
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It certainly is close. I've never seen it actually happen but of course I only have a couple of filters.

I keep a filter on this lens just to put a lens cap on it.
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Never heard such a thing and I have used thin frame Hoya filter with my 31mm.
Never heard of such issue either. I use a regular (not thin) B+W filter.

04-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It was probably my video, and yes... some filters that don't have a decent sized gap in the back will touch the lens.

However, I have a Hoya S-HMC UV(0) filter on the lens and it works fine.

Edit: Ones that cause an issue for me:
Tiffen Digital Ultra Clear I bought for the 31mm (terrible filter with no coating as well)
Canon UV filter I bought a long time before the 31mm
Vivitar UV filter I bought in the Caribbean

Last edited by sjwaldron; 04-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I spent a few minutes taking a photo with the worst filter on the lens so there isn't any argument about it. Can't say I like putting that thing on my lens though...

04-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to put a 58mm pinch cap on mine, and scratched the front coating. :-(

04-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just put a metal hood on it and forget any cap. TIFFEN filters? Avoid at all cost.
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
A 49mm pinch cap scratched my FA77 Won't use those caps w/o a hood on. Now I have hoods permanently on three of my FA Limiteds.
04-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
That can happen. Pinch caps are not hollow on their back, so that plastic can scratch against the front element. I received a used lens with a cap like that, but fortunately, it didn't get scratched and I replaced the cap.

Also, are you sure your coating is really scratched? It may be that the plastic left a mark looking like a scratch, but it may go away if you clean it. I had marks like this on a lens (I forgot which) and I thought they were scratches, but they went away after wiping them with a microfiber. SMC coatings are pretty resistant to scratches.
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Also, are you sure your coating is really scratched? It may be that the plastic left a mark looking like a scratch, but it may go away if you clean it. I had marks like this on a lens (I forgot which) and I thought they were scratches, but they went away after wiping them with a microfiber. SMC coatings are pretty resistant to scratches.
Oh I cleaned it, about 100 times. It was scratched alright. And with surprisingly little pressure. I think that alone soured me on the lens, it made me nervous to use it for fear of damaging it more. Finally I sold it (marked down for the scratch, of course) and got something cheaper.
04-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
tiffen filters? Avoid at all cost.
that.
04-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I spent a few minutes taking a photo with the worst filter on the lens so there isn't any argument about it. Can't say I like putting that thing on my lens though...
I saw your video too, thanks for the nice work showing off Pentax gear. I've had too many issues with Tiffen gear myself to buy any more of it.
04-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
A 49mm pinch cap scratched my FA77 Won't use those caps w/o a hood on. Now I have hoods permanently on three of my FA Limiteds.
Hadn't considered the sharp corners I see on the plastic elements on the interior of pinch caps until your post. Hmmm, perhaps its time to buy different caps.
04-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect there is a reason Pentax use such quirky lens hoods and caps for their limited lenses. Apart from their individualistic appeal, they may actually be properly engineered for the purpose....