Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm all pentax baby...all m42 Pentax SMC Takumars to be exact. High five.

01-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Um, I only use good lenses. Sometimes that means Pentax, sometimes it doesn't. I don't really care what name is on them.

It may be hard to believe, but other companies make some good glass, too.
DITTO.......
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #18

Pentax does not have a monopoly on 'Good Glass'

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
DITTO.......
You said it Finn.

Every Marque has 'Diamonds', and every marque has 'Stones', and all the variances in between, Pentax included.

Is a bit like travelling the world and only accepting transportation in a '57 Chevrolet. Why limit yourself?
01-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #19
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use only Pentax lenses. I seem to be rather a minority of those who post in this forum. Am I alone? Does anyone else among us eschew the use of other people's lenses? Am I crazy? Well, yes, but I won't admit it.
I'll step up to the plate and agree completely with you; though I have used Sigma in the past. I am only currently using Pentax glass and plan on keeping to that trend. In fact, as time, money, and availability allow, I'd like to concentrate my lens collection on * lenses.

01-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use only Pentax lenses. I seem to be rather a minority of those who post in this forum. Am I alone? Does anyone else among us eschew the use of other people's lenses? Am I crazy? Well, yes, but I won't admit it.
I wish I could have.
- The un-availability of fast zooms when I bought my camera had me buying the Tamron 28-75mm even tho the B&H salesman was "ehh" about it, and boy was I lucky; what a great lens! Buying used for my 1st lens wasn't a viable option.
- The un-availability of fast long glass (prime or zoom) when I needed it to go on Safari had me buying the Sigma 300mm f/2.8. Buying used within a few days to weeks before I left wasn't even a possibility
- The Voigtlander, that's just an indulgence I couldn't pass by; I'm pretty sure I would have had to buy used to get similar in Pentax though.

... there's a pattern there...

One of the reasons I bought the K10D was a statement from a Pro Canon user saying very good thing about old Pentax glass. I just didn't figure I couldn't get new when going into it. My lens 'kit' is pretty set now, and I sure wish I got more Pentax in it. Over time I'm sure...
01-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think I would like to compare images with my Pentax FA 24-90 and your Tamron 28-75. I got the 24-90 with my MZ-S, and it is a very good lens.
If your going to be comparing photo's between these 2 lenses I'd like to break out my OLD Sigma 28-84 lens for the comparison as well.
With everyones approval of course.

I could probably use a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 as well. It's still readily available, but I'd have to test drive it for the test.
01-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am a zoom user for the most part, and IMO Pentax makes the best prime lenses, and when I go to make the move to get a studio and do some real set shots, I will invest in some Pentax primes.
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

hm....

6 - pentax
3 sigama's
1 super tak

01-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #24

All three of my lenses are Pentax right now, but that's not out of brand loyalty. I'm have loyalty to quality + budget, which coincidentally meant all Pentax right now, but some of my future lenses my include other brands. I see no reason to stick strictly to Pentax, although my current lenses are nice.

Alex L
01-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Actually my russian lenses tend to see alot of action. Helios-44 and the Zenitar almost always go into the bag first.

I don't have very many pentax lenses though the A70-210 gets out every once in a while.
01-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I only have a few lenses ... 3 Pentax and 1 Tamron ... for now.

If there is a lens made by another manufacturer that suits me better though ... I will go with them.
01-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

All Pentax except for a Cosina manual focus 20/3.8.

I have no bias against using other makes, I just don't happen to have any except the lone Cosina. (And a Sigma 35-70 P.O.S. that I bought by mistake, don't use, and don't count).
01-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter

All of my main lenses are Pentax. There are many reasons for this. First, no one else makes the 10-17, 16-45, 31, 77, A*200 macro. The DFA 100 macro could be replaced by other companies. Would be harder to find a 400 5.6 as good as the A400. Have considered a Sigma bigma. Problem is I have bad luck with Sigmas. Now I do have a couple of mirrors. A 300 Quantaray that actually gets used more on the Olympus setup and the great Celestron C5 1250mm that my Pentax loves for wildlife.
Not against buying other brand lenses. If there was something really needed. Pentax lenses do have a nice quality to them.
thanks
barondla
01-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Mostly Pentax but several of my favs are non Pentax

I've got 13 lenses, 9 pentax 2 Tamron 1 Sigma and 1 Zenitar. BTW only 4 of these lenses are new. Both Tamrons and the Sigma are second hand. Of 3rd party lenses only the Zenitar is new. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I buy the best lenses I can afford, most frequently that means Pentax because of the backwards compatibility and the quality of old Pentax glass. With the addition of the 12-24 that I just won on eek-bay (soon come man...expect an LBA post when it arrives) my kit is almost complete, I'm lusting after a Bigma, or maybe the 60-250 if it ever comes out.

NaCl(LBA is in remission for the time being)H2O
01-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I think I would like to compare images with my Pentax FA 24-90 and your Tamron 28-75. I got the 24-90 with my MZ-S, and it is a very good lens.
The Tamron annihilates it. The Tamron is on par with the FA* 28-70/2.8.