Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I alone?

I use only Pentax lenses. I seem to be rather a minority of those who post in this forum. Am I alone? Does anyone else among us eschew the use of other people's lenses? Am I crazy? Well, yes, but I won't admit it.

01-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Um, I only use good lenses. Sometimes that means Pentax, sometimes it doesn't. I don't really care what name is on them.

It may be hard to believe, but other companies make some good glass, too.
01-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #3

I use only a Pentax lens(es) (18-55) by default because they're the only ones that will work on my K10D for now. Why? My Sigma 70-300 malfunctioned my lens mount. Sigmas won't work on my K10D. And it's been that way since July. I haven't got it fixed because I can still shoot Pentax lenses with no prob. And also because I've just never felt like sending it in.

So I'm all Pentax, with an asterisk.

And being honest, I want to STAY Pentax, if I can. The bokehs are distinctively different. I like.
01-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #4

I have 10 Pentax mount lenses, 8 of them are Pentax. But for me it really boils down to who has the best lens in focal length I am looking for.

01-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can say I use "mostly" pentax lenses.

my collection is as follows:

Pentax 4 MF primes 3 AF zooms 2 teleconverters
Sigma 2 AF zooms 2 teleconverters
Tamron 1 MF prime 1 AF zoom
Vivitar 1 MF prime 1 MF zoom 2 teleconverters
XR Rikenon 1 MF prime
Celestron 1 MF Mirror
01-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll be honest, I only have one Pentax lens, the kit 18-55, which replaced the Pentax 18-35 I broke.

I have nothing against Pentax glass, it's just that when I bought the D 4 years ago there wasn't much Pentax glass that interested me, or that I could afford.

If I were starting out today, it would be a different story. And I do plan to pick up a couple of lenses, most notably the 10-17 & 12-24. Maybe a few other somethings too, but one never knows.
01-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #7

*Other-then-pentax-only lens user raises hand*

Edited to say that it is indeed quite stupid to limit yourself only to Pentax lenses. Why on earth would you do that? If there's something else that does the job equally well or better for less money, then I'd say go for it.

Other then that, my non-Pentax lenses are the older ones which I like because it gives me the opportunity to tryout some different apertures/focal lengths at 'low-cost' before buying a modern zoom or prima in that focal length. Still, AFAIK, the performance of the manual lenses I own does not really dissapoint me at all, and my skill in manual focussing increases which makes me wonder more and more about the actual need for fast AF glass.

01-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

About 1/2 my collection consists of Pentax lenses, however I also have 3 Sigma, 1 Vivitar, 2 Tokina, and 1 Phoenix.

I use the Vivitar the most.
01-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use only Pentax lenses. I seem to be rather a minority of those who post in this forum. Am I alone? Does anyone else among us eschew the use of other people's lenses? Am I crazy? Well, yes, but I won't admit it.
Well, it was the fa 77 ltd that prompted me to take up the pentax system with no ideas about pentax history or products. The journey so far has been a very good experience - I earned more friends and learnt more knoweledge in the pentax society than .... say a canon community

Again, only certain lenses interest me. Very often, my philosophy is this "If I have the best equipment available, then a bad photograph is a result of my deficiency, not due to something else in that matter. Then no regret.

p.s. most of the forum members comment and post a lot when they first join. Then things are getting a bit too repetitive over time.
01-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a mix between Pentax and Sigma and I have one Tamron which I only use to shoot product photography in my lightbox. As I free up more funds I will more than likely choose between Pentax and Sigma and probably more Pentax. I anticipate selling or trading the Tamron at some point.

Truthfully, I'd like to have all Pentax stuff but I am concerned with my bottom line too. I don't shoot professionally (yet) and don't have an unlimited budget. If I could chose between the Pentax 600mm f/4 and my Sigma 50-500mm at the same price point, that would be a no brainer...but economics becomes an issue...or I just don't shoot birds which would defeat the purpose of why I bought a dSLR, to do what I love to do.

I am sure those that chose to shoot all Pentax have their reasons for doing so. I will say that Pentax doesn't seem to mind at this point. They allow 3rd party glass in the gallery and truthfully, all three of my images there were shot with the Bigma.
01-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Sorry, Canada Rockies, you do look a bit alone :-)

Seriously, though, I think most buy what's pragmatic (and according to their budget). For a close-up portrait lens I picked up the Tamron 28-75mm as it seems to be unequalled by anything else you can pick up in the store right now (that's in a similar range).

If there is a choise of lenses in a range I'm looking for, I do tend to prefer Pentax. But I don't want to compromise...
01-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

All my lenses are different brands! There's not even a PENTAX written on the body of the camera.
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have two sigma (a genuine sigma and a quantaray-branded sigma) film lenses that I never use, but other than that everything else is pentax. Personally, it comes down to two things: a) when I spend several hundred dollars on a lens, I want to know that it was specifically designed to work with my camera and b) I want to support Pentax. Yes, I know, showing 3rd party manufacuters that there are enough pentax users to warrant releasing some of their stuff in pentax is alsos supporting pentax, but from what I understand lenses are rather high-margin, while cameras definately are not. Pentax may have lost money by me buying a K10, and so if all I do is buy 3rd party lenses I'm not helping pentax make a new camera.

[/crazed rant]
01-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
Sorry, Canada Rockies, you do look a bit alone :-)

Seriously, though, I think most buy what's pragmatic (and according to their budget). For a close-up portrait lens I picked up the Tamron 28-75mm as it seems to be unequalled by anything else you can pick up in the store right now (that's in a similar range).

If there is a choise of lenses in a range I'm looking for, I do tend to prefer Pentax. But I don't want to compromise...
I think I would like to compare images with my Pentax FA 24-90 and your Tamron 28-75. I got the 24-90 with my MZ-S, and it is a very good lens.
01-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have 1 Pentax lens, a used 50MM 1.7 - all my new lenses are non-Pentax , although I don't strictly own a Pentax body either - it says Samsung on mine !!

simon