Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

Lens choice help

Hi and thanks in advance for the help.

I have finally decided on the K-5, and now I am just trying to figure out lenses.

I am currently using a Canon 350D with just the kit lens and one additional zoom. Until recently the camera had only ever been used by my husband in auto mode and then I stole it and have been taken several classes and have got to the point I feel limited by the camera. I find it very poor in low light, just being indoors other than mid day and trying to take photos without the flash is impossible.

I am trying to decide should I just get the kit lens 18-55 WR or should I get the body and invest in some other lenses.

I mostly take "action" portraits of my 5 year old, lots of landscape photos at the beach and enjoy some macro. This summer we are travelling to Hawaii and I am looking for something that I can try to do justice to the scenery, capture my son and is not too big to lug around.

04-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kit lens should be fine for all but the low light work; for that, you'll want something faster - f/2.8 or better. DA35/2.4 is a good choice.
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As above, the kit lens is a fantastic lens to start with, and adding the cheap and cheerful 35mm f/2.4 will let you get crisp shots in lower light without breaking the bank. Both would be great for landscapes, and the kit lens can focus close enough to get decent shots of flowers and animals and such, plus it's weather sealed.
04-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want faster and solid performance for not a lot the 35/2.4 is really hard to beat. If you are talking about Hawaii then the 18-55WR is a good start, you'll be glad you have the WR in at least one lens. I'd also think about a telephoto zoom for a trip to the islands and the 55-300 is a solid performer in descent light. If you want to combine the two then the 18-135WR has better IQ than the 18-55 by reports, gives more versatility and minimizes the need to change lenses in the field - particularly if you need the WR.

04-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pennync Quote
Hi and thanks in advance for the help.

I have finally decided on the K-5, and now I am just trying to figure out lenses.

I am currently using a Canon 350D with just the kit lens and one additional zoom. Until recently the camera had only ever been used by my husband in auto mode and then I stole it and have been taken several classes and have got to the point I feel limited by the camera. I find it very poor in low light, just being indoors other than mid day and trying to take photos without the flash is impossible.

I am trying to decide should I just get the kit lens 18-55 WR or should I get the body and invest in some other lenses.

I mostly take "action" portraits of my 5 year old, lots of landscape photos at the beach and enjoy some macro. This summer we are traveling to Hawaii and I am looking for something that I can try to do justice to the scenery, capture my son and is not too big to lug around.
The nice thing about the kit lens is that it's water resistant and relatively light weight and with the K-5's high ISO capabilities the kit lens will serve you very well for a travel lens. I have a K-10 with both the non-water-resistant 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera and a very nice Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens that I leave on the camera all of the time. To be honest, I've probably had as good of luck with the kit lens under most conditions as I have had with the Tamron. If I'm going to do a lot of "walk around" with the camera slung around my neck, I'll probably take my kit 18-55 rather than my Tamron lens, primarily from a standpoint of weight vs. image quality vs ISO even with my K-10 which doesn't have nearly the image quality vs ISO capabilities that the K-5 has. I think you have a heck of a kit right now, I wish that I had it. For me weight is a factor, especially slung around my neck. I'm over 70 and the extra weight of a fast zoom lens around my neck is a factor that it wasn't 40 years ago, so I'm am very aware of any unnecessary weight. Good luck with your quest and I hope that you have a good Hawaiian vacation,
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone that recommended the 35/2.4, good IQ, fast, and cheap for a new lens. After that your budget has to be considered. I have an 18-55 (not WR) and only every used it for the wide end, since I've got a Tamron 10-24 I don't think it's touched the camera, not a bad lens, but nothing special. But that WR is a plus. You said you were limited by the Canon kit, so figure out what (besides low light) is limiting you and go that direction.
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote on the DA 35/2.4 - a delightfully sharp and contrasty lens. All you'd need for basic yet effective portraiture on APS-C cameras.
The kit lens will not add much capability to your existing kit other than weather sealing - which is handy but not a guarantee everything will be OK if you drop it in the river...
04-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all the advice - looking forward to going out and doing some shopping and them some snapping!