Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

So now that I have all these lenses????

Being an engineer at heart, I like to have my things somewhat orderly. Nice groupings, logical combinations and the like, not real anal but maybe a little. After swearing no more lenses, I just bought the FA 43mm since it may or may not rise in price and I did want it. While I really like the lens, it is making for some very close relatives in my bag. Ergo the organization problem.
At any rate, I now have the DA 15, DA 21, FA 31, FA 43, DFA 50, FA 77, DFA 100, FA 135 and Tamron Adaptall 400mm f4. Now the Tamron with my converters and the K-5 go by themselves in a modified Slingshot 202 so he is not a problem. My LowePro Slingshot 102 AW can carry my K-5 with a lens attached, two others in the slots on either side and I rigged the top opening to fit 2 more lenses. So I can carry 5 comfortable at any time. It always comes down to which five. I have some thoughts but I was wondering if any of you have any nice functional grouping that would be good for the street or out in nature or at a outdoor event, etc. Any thoughts appreciated except for adding more lenses. ;-) Thanks, Dave

04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA15, 31, 77, DFA100 macro would be all I can imagine to bring along at any time for any reason.

/jealous
04-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to decide whether you need or want to carry it all at one time.

I have a similar issue, where I have K mount MF prime lenses from 8mm to 400mm, (15 in total) M42 lenses from 16mm to 200 mm (14 in total) a sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75/2.8, sigma 70-200/2.8 two sigma TCs and a Tamron 200-500/5.6, plus a few odds and sods. In total 46 lenses.

I NEVER carry all of it and venally limit myself to 4-6 lenses for even a trip, but then only carry 2 or 3 when out and about unless really pushed.

The point is you need a transport medium and a carry medium and the two can and should be different
04-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm willing to help out, tough as it would be personally, so keep the 15, 31, 50, 100 and send the rest to me.

04-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need a bigger bag. Then you can carry all of you lovely little gems and not leave any of them at home feeling unloved.

I use either a slingshot 300 or a Flipside 400AW or a Thinktank Airport acceleration V2.0

in the 300 (my usual bag) I can carry a K-5 and grip, 540 flash, DA15, DA21, FA31, FA43, FA77, and DFA100. Plus DA 16 -50 AND DA 60-250 (or 50-135)

The flipside is for travel, I can get almost as much in it, but it is more secure I feel, becasue the opening is on the 'inside' and against my back when I carry it.

The Thinktank is huge and I can get lots of other gear in there. It is for studio or workshop shoots where I dont have to carry it far, but want maximum flexibility and as much gear as I can carry.
04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The point is you need a transport medium and a carry medium and the two can and should be different
That's what I do. I have a LowePro Magnum to transport everything and a Domke bag as my walk-around.
04-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
One bag fits them all...

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That's what I do. I have a LowePro Magnum to transport everything and a Domke bag as my walk-around.
As amazing as it may sound, the idea of bringing everything in one big transport and just sorting it out at the site never crossed my mind. Man, the wisdom you's guys have to share. So for the primes and K-5, what size Magnum or other big bag would you recommend? But I still would like to know what combos people think make most sense for a trip that does not allow a big bag.

04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

i also like using two bags and pulling select lenses from the source bag to add to the walk around bag.

I did get a photo vest for X-mas this year and have found it can almost completely take the place of a camera bag and grabbing lenses from a pocket is even quicker than my sling bag. I typically carry 5 or 6 DA/FA lenses in my vest along with accessories (filters, cable release, flashlight, towel, fleece hat, cokin accessories), which works really well. i also have a lowepro belt and lens case for my 70-200/2.8 which i sometimes wear along with the vest when i bring my tele.
it's one of a few different possibilities i suppose.
good luck.
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 'go' bag with the k-5 and a basic set, DFA 100mm, DA*16-50, F 50mm 1.7 and DA 55-300. That covers most situations and goes with me wherever I go. Then I have a K-mount bag with the rest of my k-mount stuff and extension tubes and filters. I also have an M42 bag with all the M42 lenses, extension tubes, filters etc. I just grab one or the other if I have something in particular in mind.

And if I have to fly I have a backpack that gets packed according to what I think I'll need and how much weight I want to carry. The backpack usually stays in the hotel or wherever and I only carry the K-5 and 2 or 3 lenses when I'm out and about.
04-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
At any rate, I now have the DA 15, DA 21, FA 31, FA 43, DFA 50, FA 77, DFA 100, FA 135
I propose: numerology. Like, I have a fetish for grouping lenses into 2x kits, where each lens is about 2x the focal length of its predecessor. Such an ordering makes it easy to decide which lens to swap to -- just grab the one with 2x or 1/2 the FOV of the current glass. So, two sub-kits:

* 15-31-50-100 -- short kit
* 21-43-77-135 -- long kit

Logical, eh?
04-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And if I have to fly I have a backpack that gets packed according to what I think I'll need and how much weight I want to carry. The backpack usually stays in the hotel or wherever and I only carry the K-5 and 2 or 3 lenses when I'm out and about.
This is similar top what I do, I have a Tenba Shootout Medium Sling Bag that can carry the K20D with DA 55-300 attached, and 4 or 5 other lenses. But I usually carry 2 or 3 lenses in individual cases attached to a belt.
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which Ones Go, Which stay Home?

Hi Dave,
Interesting question.
I've never come up with a suitable all-purpose kit, so my photo destination dictates my selection.
Over time I've acquired several bags, ranging from a holds-all (nearly) LowePro big backpack style (think it's called a Pro Runner) to a dinky 2-lens jobbie, with several in between sizes. I also have a decades-old Domke that holds about 5 lenses/flash units and one body.
For low-light, available light, indoor stuff, I take one body and the 4 fastest lenses.
For sports, my 80-200 f/2.8 Tokina is a gotta-have and maybe a short zoom and a couple of fast primes. 2 Bodies.
For a walk-around, don't know what I'll shoot, one wide-angle prime, a fast fifty and either the 85mm f/2.0 or the 100mm f/2.8. The old rule about doubling the focal length for each lens works great for me. Say a 24mm, 50mm, 100mm, etc.
Lately I've been using my F 35-70mm a lot, since it's so sharp, small and convenient. But it's also a slow maximum aperture, that's a drawback at times.
Anyway, I keep at least 3 bags packed and ready to go and switch bodies for the occasion.
Good luck!
Ron
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Definitely depends on the conditions you expect from trip to trip. For myself, the 15 or 21 is the choice from which others fall out. So 15-31(-50?)-77-100 makes sense, or 21-43-77-100 is another nice set. I don't $ee myself with your problem any time soon, so for me it's 28-(40 or 50)-90, with the DA21 my choice for next prime¹. My 70-150 zoom is good enough to masquerade as a 'variable prime' though a bit slower than most folks here tend to like; a Sigma 50 is coming soon, to try to unseat the Tamron 90 as my superprime/macro. If the 50 wins then the zoom will take over the 90's spot, as it did with the M135/3.5.

¹ I'm willing to trade my 90 for your 21, just say the word! You really have to have the 90 to fill that huge 77-100 gap!
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Dave,
Interesting question.
I've never come up with a suitable all-purpose kit, so my photo destination dictates my selection.
Over time I've acquired several bags, ranging from a holds-all (nearly) LowePro big backpack style (think it's called a Pro Runner) to a dinky 2-lens jobbie, with several in between sizes. I also have a decades-old Domke that holds about 5 lenses/flash units and one body.
For low-light, available light, indoor stuff, I take one body and the 4 fastest lenses.
For sports, my 80-200 f/2.8 Tokina is a gotta-have and maybe a short zoom and a couple of fast primes. 2 Bodies.
For a walk-around, don't know what I'll shoot, one wide-angle prime, a fast fifty and either the 85mm f/2.0 or the 100mm f/2.8. The old rule about doubling the focal length for each lens works great for me. Say a 24mm, 50mm, 100mm, etc.
Lately I've been using my F 35-70mm a lot, since it's so sharp, small and convenient. But it's also a slow maximum aperture, that's a drawback at times.
Anyway, I keep at least 3 bags packed and ready to go and switch bodies for the occasion.
Good luck!
Ron
I'm have more bags and backpacks than I can count. Backpacks cover lowepro phototrekker Aw, computrekker and micro trekker, plus stealth reporter, and think tank shoulder bags plus a smaller should bag.

My Normal walk around is the smaller shoulder bag with either 3 lenses or a second body and lens in the bag, always one in hand.