Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #61
Banned

Photos: Albums
An interesting two million dollar lens. It is rumored that Leica is also working on two more other sets of lens that cost considerably more than this one

04-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #62
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I've got a couple really (as per my sig), the SMC Pentax Shift 28mm F3.5 and SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4. There's nothing wrong we them, far from it, I just don't need 'em on a regular basis for what I do.
04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I just don't need 'em on a regular basis for what I do.
Ah yes, need -- a touchy subject. Just what are the boundaries between NEED and NICE-TO-HAVE and DESIRE and LBA? How many tools might we not use "on a regular basis" but we MUST have every now and then? And how much is "regular basis" like "habitual"? What about the spice of variety?

I don't delude myself (much). I know that I could get by with just a couple dozen lenses, not my couple hundred. So, my rationale: I choose not to just get by. I choose to try all sorts of stuff. Sometimes I tell myself I'll get a lens "just to test it". See, it ain't LBA, it's science! (In denial, who, me?)

I call my lens accumulation a reference library. Questions arise about lenses; I can refer to the actual beasts and maybe offer some help and info. See, it ain't LBA, it's noble humanitarianism! And with the increasing prices of lenses, it's also a savings account, an investment portfolio. Right.

The thread asks, What's your best lens that you never use? That's a trick question. The best lens is the lens you use. The worst lens is the lens you don't use. So can one lens be both best and worst simultaneously? I guess that to keep a lens from being worst, it just needs some use from time to time.
04-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #64
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
HA! Yeah, I should list all my unwanted lenses here and bypass the Marketplace, eh? Let's see: the Vivitar-Kion Series 1 Version 1 70-210/3.5 'macro' in M42; a few M50/2's; the SuperTak 55/2; the Gefitec-Kiron 85-210/4.5 in M/MD; the Vivitar Matched Multiplier 2x TC in M42; the Tokina RMC 35-135/3.5-4.5 in N/AI modded for PK; the near-mint Lil'Bigma DG 170-500/5-6.3 if anyone is nutz enough to make me a good offer; two Hanimex 28/2.8's, one each in PKM and M42; the Rokinon 28/2.8 and 135/2.8, both in PKM; the collector's set of Enna's for Argus C3, the Sandmar 35/4.5 and Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5, easily adapted to PK. Yeah, make me some offers, eh?

Hey RioRico - I've been using my SuperTak 55/2 as my main lens, and I've had my eye on a Vivitar Series 70-210 with 1:2.2 macro for a while (although I think K mount rather than M42). But maybe I should drive a truck over to your place and start negotiating.

04-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I developed a "working kit" which covers all the focal lengths I commonly use and I can fit all these lenses in one bag*. But outside of my "working kit" there are literally hundreds of lenses that I don't use all that often - it's too depressing to think about it.

* I do a similar thing with my Canon,Nikon gear...with my leica I just put a few extra lenses in my coat pockets.
04-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I've had my eye on a Vivitar Series 70-210 with 1:2.2 macro for a while (although I think K mount rather than M42). But maybe I should drive a truck over to your place and start negotiating.
Hay, good idea! I should be back at my home.base / lens.stash around Lake Tahoe in a couple weeks. By the time you drive there from T.O. the snow should have melted. Go for the Viv and I'll throw in a M42-PK adapter, free, gratis, for nothing.

And how about some BIG glass? Meade #4505 telescope, d= 114mm, f= 920mm f/8, with digital control. Then there's the Teac Portastudio, and the MiniMoog synth, and a push-pull lawn mower -- no lens creep like with a push-pull zoom, eh?

But wait, there's more! [long hook reaches over and pulls /me off-stage...]
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I have a variation on this theme, lenses, good or bad, that I don't use for various reasons...

Mamiya 645 80/1.9 & 150/2.8 - Highly desired 'premium' versions of common focal lengths. I have the common 80/2.8 & 150/4 in my bag because they are lighter and use a similar size filter, that matches the 55/2.8. I carry a 45/2.8 as well but rarely use it... which reminds me I don't think I've used both a 2X TC or ext tube I have for this system in anger either... ohh, and the winder that's been attached to the camera but never wound a film!

Nikon F-Mount- 24/2.8, 105/2.5 & a 'new to me' Sigma 100-300/4 (also have a few other F-mount lenses but these are my favorites). I don't have a Nikon dSLR yet... waiting for 'D400' announcement to decide between that, a D7000 or runout D300s. Have been using the Sigma on my K7 with a crappy adaptor and have managed some decent pics but hanging out to get that Sigma on a camera intended for it. Also have a Tokina ATX 80-200/2.8 (push/pull - man focus) that might get a reprieve as I bought that just before getting my 1st dSLR and have hardly used it with my film SLRs.

LF - I have 90/135/210mm (all f5.6) lenses for my 4x5 Field camera. I think I've taken 2 pictures with the 90mm, and didn't like either of them! I continue to carry it and the required, but annoying, bag bellows around.

I did manage to give away a couple of enlarger lenses but still have a couple of them I don't use.

In the Pentax world I bought a 18-35 (I think) to take on a holiday not wanting to take my beloved 16-45/4 (was worried about it getting stolen... I took my old K10D instead of my new at the time K7). Took a couple of test pictures and decided it was so bad I quickly bought a 18-55 'kit'. Ended up selling the K10D and 18-55 and have yet to throw the 18-35 against a wall (just to see what happens!)
04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I own a DA*200 that I have only used a few times over the past 3 years. It just doesn't suit my style of photography. I keep it, because I think that I should have one serious telephoto lens just in case....

Rob

04-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #69

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Elicar 90mm f2.5 1:1 macro.........just don't shoot macro much, and its fully manual. Probably would use it more if it was an "A" version though, especially for portraits.
04-17-2012, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

My DA*50-135 has to be my nomination. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact I rate it as a superb lens. It's certainly a lens I won't part with, I've had such good results from it.
But I went to the dark side and found old manual focus lenses, and they are slow to use, some are just a pain in the butt ( Industar 50-2 ) to fiddle with. But they slow me down and make me think about what I want from the image, and I like that. I like the challenge of the process of getting a good sharp image from a lens. With the 50-135 I just point and shoot, my hit rate of sharp well exposed images is better, but the hit rate of keepers is way lower. ( But there are occasions when I want what it delivers )
04-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I own a DA*200 that I have only used a few times over the past 3 years.
Bust it out and make sure the SDM still works!!
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I've got a couple really (as per my sig), the SMC Pentax Shift 28mm F3.5 and SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4. There's nothing wrong we them, far from it, I just don't need 'em on a regular basis for what I do.
For a while I toyed with the idea of getting the 28mm shift lens for architectural stuff. But it's less useful for my purposes on an APS-C sensor. If I had bought it, it would probably be on my list. :-)
04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #73
Veteran Member

FA 31, probably.

Or my Nikon 135/2 Ai-s.
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #74
Inactive Account

Not never, but almost never: SMC F 70-210 f/4-5.6.

It's the lens I keep handy for the very rare occasions when I have to shoot events (it's my only long lens with AF).

At other times it slumbers in my lens drawer, which is why I named this lens "Sleeper Service".