Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sears lens

while searching around for a cheap 50mm I have seen a few links/forums which mention the "auto sears MC". Can anyone tell me if the Aperture can be altered on this lens through the DSLR body or is it manual focus/aperture only?

Also I have come across a couple of links suggesting these lens may have Ricoh Pin which needs removing (can anyone confirm if this is correct & what to look for)?

thks for any replies.

04-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have owned a couple of Sears fifties, both apparently Ricoh (52mm filters, no half-stop aperture clicks). Both were XR types, so no pin and no 'p' setting. And no electrical contacts to transfer aperture data, so full manual only (or use wide open in Av mode).
04-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own a Sears 50/1.7 (49mm filter, half-stop aperture clicks). This is a Chinon clone, it was the kit lens for the KSX-P (Chinon CP-5). No electrical contacts at all, straight PK mount.
04-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
Never thought of that one; but the Chinon name might just be correct. But it is also to my understanding that Cosina also made a lot of their lens'; as well as the not so famous Quantaray brand. BTW recently saw a Quantaray body sell at auction for almost 10k

04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

Sears AUTO MC 50 f:1.4 with the 52 mm thread. No ricoh pin, manual focus and aperture. Haven't spent much time with it, but it seems like a nice little lens. At the $50 I paid for it, I think it's a winner. Go for it.

Also, the Pentax M50 1.7 is a cheap, great lens (I have 2 now...) as well.
04-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have owned 4 different Sears Auto MC 135/2.8s, all from different makers, and I know of maybe another 8 versions. A couple of mine were A(R)-type, with linkage, contacts, and Ricoh nub (not the toxic pin). I've seen about that many Sears 50s, also variously in M42, PKM, and PKA|PKAR mounts, and almost as many 28s. I've had a couple Cosina-made 50s in PKM. Sears contracted with many different makers for many different versions of lenses, ALL MARKED "SEARS AUTO MC"!!!

The bottom line: The only way to tell the lens type is to see the base, or the aperture ring.