Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma's Lens OS...what can you do with it?

What sort of results can one expect from Sigma's optical stabilizer?

Was looking at the 50-500 as an example. How slow a shutter can you shoot with OS?

And why does Sigma have 2 settings for OS on its lens?

Thanks

04-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will get similar results as with other SR systems, but of course, everyone is different.

I have a Sigma zoom, but never use the OS setting. One mode allows horizontal panning, I believe.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Importantly, do not use both the lens OS and the camera SR. Only one.

There hhave been a few discussion about the advantages of each system (OS vs SR). Some argue that the lens OS/IS is more convenient because the view finder provides you with an image-stabilised view. Others argue that the camera SR is a better option allowing the use of lighter non-OS lenses, while you do not need to switch on or off the camera SR everytime you switch lenses.

There was an interesting article with solid technical data on the effectiveness of lens OS versus camera SR:
Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!

The main point was:
"The bottom line on the Olympus E-520's IS system is that it turned in a superb performance, very much on par with the best lens-based IS systems".

Hope that the comment may help..
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have the 50-500 os...stting 1 is general stability and 2 for panning although i honestly can say i really haven't seen much different...i have never shot with low shutter speeds since i use it to capture action shots...if i get a chance i can check it out this weekend...i have heard that if you use high shitter speeds you can turn the os off completely and use the camera but haven't tried that yet...when i see an action shot i want i don't want to take the chance of losing it

04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think most people claim 2-3 stops of improvement with Sigma's OS. So using the "1/focal length" rule for handholding, that is 1/125 sec with 2 stop improvement. But that Bigma is a beast as you know. I probably wouldnt be confident handholding it at anything slower than that.