Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M 50/1.7 vs. A 50/1.7

I was wondering if the optics were similar--or identical--between the Pentax-M 50/1.7 and the Pentax-A 50/1.7.

I just recently acquired a Pentax-M 50/1.7 which I am quite fond of--I like it better than my Pentax-M 50/1.4 and perhaps better than my Pentax K 55/1.8.

I'd like this same lens with auto-aperture.

Is there a way to convert this lens to auto aperture? I don't mind losing the functionality of the aperture ring since they are inexpensive and I could get two. I got this gem for $20 (including ME super body) at the local swap meet.

04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They changed the optics a bit in the A 50mm, and it gets slightly worse reviews, but you probably won't be able to tell a difference. You definitely won't be able to convert it to auto aperture without spending as much as the A version would cost.

50mm F1.7 Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

According to Bojidar Dimitrov, all the 50/1.7 version share the same 6 element 5 group design. I'm not sure if that 100% true though.
I did test an M version against an F version, and to my eye they performed identically.
04-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would not bother the A50/1.7 as it is so poorly made. If you can live w/o A, the M is a joy to use.

04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
as it is so poorly made.
They did drop the ball with the plastic aperture ring, but the good news is that it is a... A lens, so you can leave it in the A position.
04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have both and to my amatuer eyes the M is slightly sharper but the conveinience of the A is hard to beat. The A is always in the bag (usually on my K-x), the M is in the closet for when I have time and a subject that will benefit from the tack sharp lens. Either lens is a superb value in my opinion, I won't sell either. Ever. Plus I have plans to reverse the M on the front of my Sigma 105 Macro as soon as the ring gets here. As I type this I doubt I could tell you which of my pics were M or A... On that note though the A is nice for me for another reason too, the f stop data in the EXIF...

Chris