Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

What would you get?

Great forum -- been around for awhile and finally registered
I'm new to all this and I recently (Christmas) got a k10d with a tamron 28-75 and a pentax 50 1.4. I'd been saving for several months before Christmas so I could get more lens. I'm going on a Holy Land tour this November and I do a lot of nature hikes etc and spend a lot of time at the beach. Those of you who have been at this much longer that I -- What you would get if you have 1,500. I'd decided to get the 16-50mm (I have another thread on it) but it seems there are a lot of issues with that lens.
thanks for your suggestions.

01-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #2

Your Tamron is very sharp I assume. Your $ may be better spent on going wider than the da* 16-50. For the same $ you could have the DA 12-24 or 14/2.8 and DA21 LTD. IMO this would complement the excellent Tamron rather than try and replace it. The DA*50-135 and a teleconverter would be a nice fit to your kit too. Decisions decisions.

Matt
01-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Get a Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 12-24.
01-13-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

With travel or hike, you would probably only need either Da 14mm f2.8 or Fa 31 ltd for landscape. Regardless day or night, you will get by fine.

If you like candids or wild life, then it would be another story. Tamron 28-75 is a good choice to start with. Later on, you will let the LBA be your inner GBS. You would not need our suggestions anymore.

01-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

95% of my photography is landscape, whilst hiking around beaches & mountains & I bought the Sigma 17-70.
I find it ideal for this use - I did originally own the kit lens (18-55) but wasn't too happy with mine, I also found that I did actually need a little more zoom on occasions (main reason I didn't get the Pentax 16-45) - landscapes are certainly not just about wide angle.

I do have the Sigma 10-20 on my wishlist at the moment though as the extra at the wide end will definitely prove very useful for those mountain panoramas

simon
01-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Simon, your site and images are spectacular. Thank you for sharing! While new to DSLR (12/25/07) I have had a SPII for too many years to admit to. All of my research before diving into digital SLR photography pointed me to the Sigma 17-70. And seeing the results only confirm my choice. Now I'm even happier with my decision!
Ror
01-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

With Nature hikes you'll hopefuly see some wildlife, where you'll want at least a 300mm lens.
With that in mind I'd look at something like a Sigma 70-300 APO or with that budget even the BIGMA

If you buy the 70-300 make sure that you buy the APO version. It's better quality than the alternative.
Plus you'll have a fair amount left over for either spending money, or more equipment.
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to endorse the previous comments regarding the Sigma 17-70.
This is a great walk around lens to keep on the camera for general use. Ideal for the traveller and the results are very very good.
Ideally of course something ina longer lens to compliment the 17-70 would be veryuseful (maybe DA*50-135 or perhaps longer?).
Enjoy your travels.

01-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As mentioned for travel a bit more telephoto will be needed, for this very reason I've just bought a Tamron 70-300 DI LD, I do own the 50-200 kit lens but couldn't resist a "bargain price" on the Tamron & the extra range is excellent.
It does suffer a little PF but nothing that cannot be sorted. The Sigma 70-300 also is another very popular choice, apparently suffering less PF but perhaps not quite so sharp as the Tamron.

I had originally intended buying the Tamron 18-250 which has very good reviews etc but considering I use the "tele" end of focal range infrequently I saved some cash which I'll probably put towards the Sigma 10-20, a range I'll use much more often

simon
01-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
With Nature hikes you'll hopefuly see some wildlife, where you'll want at least a 300mm lens.
With that in mind I'd look at something like a Sigma 70-300 APO or with that budget even the BIGMA

If you buy the 70-300 make sure that you buy the APO version. It's better quality than the alternative.
Plus you'll have a fair amount left over for either spending money, or more equipment.
I totally agree with Stu. Buy the 70-300 APO and take the left over money and buy yourself some airline tickets to some really cool place so you can take loads of photos.
01-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #11

Original Poster
Wow - thanks for all the replys -- I got a great surprise - my wife ordered me a sigma 70-300 apo I was talking to her about your suggestions and that lens will be an early birthday present.

So soon having the 70-300 lens I'm leaning toward the following.

A Pentax 12-24mm

Sigma 17-70mm (If I like it as well as the Tamron 28-75 I will sell the Tamron - I like the idea of having the extra 17-28 wide range without have to swap lens)

and the Pentax 50-135mm (I've heard great reviews from this lens vs the bad reviews for them 16-50)

Thanks for your suggestions -- they were a big help (especially for my wife)
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #12

Not exactly on topic but I think relevant to your needs. If you're into hiking or traveling, be sure to invest in a good quality photo bag. Keep in mind that the better quality ones are going to be somewhat expensive ($100 or more) but they're well worth it.
01-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dparson Quote
Wow - thanks for all the replys -- I got a great surprise - my wife ordered me a sigma 70-300 apo I was talking to her about your suggestions and that lens will be an early birthday present.

So soon having the 70-300 lens I'm leaning toward the following.

A Pentax 12-24mm

Sigma 17-70mm (If I like it as well as the Tamron 28-75 I will sell the Tamron - I like the idea of having the extra 17-28 wide range without have to swap lens)

and the Pentax 50-135mm (I've heard great reviews from this lens vs the bad reviews for them 16-50)

Thanks for your suggestions -- they were a big help (especially for my wife)
You might want to keep in mind that a camera bag can get pretty heavy when toted around all day. With your 17-70 and 70-300, the DA* 50-135 will be redundant vis a vis focal length and will add considerable extra weight. As a possible alternative, you might want to consider a couple of fast or reasonably fast primes, like an FA 35/2, FA 50/2 or any of the FA or DA Limited lenses.

Some folks will happily lug a ton of gear around all day without complaint; I'm not one of them. I generally travel with the three DA Limited "Pancakes" and throw my DA 50-200 (light and inexpensive) into the suitcase should it be needed.

Enjoy your travel; it sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

Jer
01-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You might want to keep in mind that a camera bag can get pretty heavy when toted around all day. With your 17-70 and 70-300, the DA* 50-135 will be redundant vis a vis focal length and will add considerable extra weight. As a possible alternative, you might want to consider a couple of fast or reasonably fast primes, like an FA 35/2, FA 50/2 or any of the FA or DA Limited lenses.

Some folks will happily lug a ton of gear around all day without complaint; I'm not one of them. I generally travel with the three DA Limited "Pancakes" and throw my DA 50-200 (light and inexpensive) into the suitcase should it be needed.

Enjoy your travel; it sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

Jer
I think th bad reviews of the DA*16-50 are over stated. there were apparently some teething issues with it, but I have one and it is my lens of choice. It's the one that's one the camera, by default, unless I'm looking for a telephoto or a macro.

As for the weight issue, I fully agree. I own a lot of lenses but usually take only 2 or 3 on a shoot. My son in law is a mountain biker and he wanted a really light set up so he has
a K100 with a DA21 prime and a DA50-200 zoom. --- it hard to go lighter than that.