Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I put on a 27 --> 37 mm step up ring, and then a 37 --> 30.5 mm step down ring. This approximates the dimensions of the DA40 limited hood, and allows me to use my little 30.5mm circular polarizer I bought for that lens, and then used on the FA43 (with a 49--37 step down, then the 37--30.5). It is a little strange looking, but it doesn't seem to cause any harm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
02-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for posting Nick, this was exactly what I was thinking of. So far, no hood hasn't been a problem for me but the step up/down rings make for a great low cost hood.
02-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I don't plan to ever use a hood on this lens, but has anyone ever bought this expensive (but very nice) Cokin hood for it?
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

After thinking about how I want to do this for my 40mm XS, I decided to step up to 49mm and buy a hood. 49mm is a much more common thread and has a lot of options.

I just purchased a 27mm to 49mm step up ring: 27mm to 49mm Step Up Ring | eBay

Then I'll purchase the following hood and cap from Amazon once I get the step-up ring:
Amazon.com: 49MM metal lens hood for Pentax & Takumar 35mm 50MM standard lens: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Inner pinch Lens Cap, Lens Cover with Cap Keeper, 58mm: Camera & Photo

Yes, it does kind of defeat the purpose of a pancake lens, but it'll still be convenient for throwing into my bag with the hood on. As well as help out with contrast (though many said it's not needed) and offer a bit of protection.

Amazon has the hood listed as good down to a 35mm focal length, so hopefully 40mm focal length will be fine with the hood, since it will be extended a bit by the step up ring.

J

Last edited by MickeyLaForge; 02-28-2013 at 05:58 AM.
08-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

Here's my posting on this topic over in the K-01 section:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/235221-k-01-hood-40mm-xs-pancake-lens.html

B
08-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #21

I use the DV camcorder plastic hood posted earlier. It works fine and I think it improves the contrast of the pictures. As has been said it does have a plastic thread and so can get knocked off but this has only happened to me maybe once or twice since I got it. The useful thing with it is that it includes a cap for the hood so I don't need to use the one which Pentax supply which doesn't stay on and I'd probably have lost eventually.

If you look on ebay there are various options e.g.

F124 Metal Lens Hood Sun Shade 27mm For Pentax K-01 kit w/ DA 40mm lens New | eBay

This would work fine I would think and would probably look better than the DV option.
11-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
My boyfriend surprised me with a 40mm XS for my birthday. I've taken some test shots, and adore this little lens already. My only concern being the lack of hood.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks!
May be a late reply but for those still interested. For less than 9US$, I just purchased from eBay a metal 27-37mm step up ring and a 37mm metal vented hood to mount on the ring. I chose silver and this “different” hood cause I think it looks as cool as the lens. Bought them in silver to match my wife’s silver KP but they are available also in black. Upon arrival I will measure and order a cap for the hood.

PS there are also some round black metal hoods for some 17$ that I didn’t fancy.

Last edited by Athanassios; 12-19-2022 at 10:32 AM.
11-20-2022, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

A bit late to the party, as they say, but I simply use an old B.D.B. 27mm screw-in filter with the glass removed

It protrudes 6mm from the front of the lens, so doesn't detract unduly from the overall compactness, but increases my confidence of not damaging the front element significantly
I painted the interior of the filter with matt black paint to eliminate any reflections from the bright aluminium body.
Has the advantage of being able to use the original lens cap, assuming you haven't already lost it!