Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

40mm XS - Lens Hood ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My boyfriend surprised me with a 40mm XS for my birthday. I've taken some test shots, and adore this little lens already. My only concern being the lack of hood. I've debated over exchanging it for the Limited version, but it would cost me about an extra $200.

The hood on the Limited looks fairly slim, however the 27mm hoods I've looked at are fairly large.
I can't find any specs/dimensions on the 40mm hood online. I'm planning on getting a step up ring to fit my current filters, I'm curious as to if a couple step up rings could function as a hood?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

04-13-2012, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 27mm filter thread will make finding a hood tricky. The DA 40mm ltd lens actually has 49mm threads. The hood is unique in design and has a smaller screw out cap. I have seen some hoods made for camcorder lenses that were for 27mm threads. Another solution would be to use a step down ring from 27mm to a smaller size.
04-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
B+W 37mm Screw-In Folding Rubber Lens Hood #900 65-045592 B&H

I've already purchased the somewhat debated 27mm protection (type) of filter for this lens, and an additional 27mm to 37mm step-up ring. I picked this size because there are not too many filters (and hoods) in the 27mm size. The 37mm size offers significantly more filters such as polarizing, color correction, special effect, and even close-up filters - and lens hood selection as well.
04-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. How are you liking your XS so far Medium FormatPro? Most my filters are 58mm, I saw a 27-58mm step up ring on ebay.

There doesn't seem to be much for the 27mm thread.
I love how low profile the Limited hood is and would like something similar. Does anyone know the depth of the 40mm Limited Hood?

04-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Thanks for the replies. How are you liking your XS so far Medium FormatPro? Most my filters are 58mm, I saw a 27-58mm step up ring on ebay.

I love how low profile the Limited hood is and would like something similar. Does anyone know the depth of the 40mm Limited Hood?
It seems I have all my hoods dimensions in my notes but that one. However, it is in the ball park of 12mm. I well get an exact measure over the weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.
04-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
in my experience with 40LTD is that the hood acts more as the added security against objects getting into the front element rather than blocking light.
40ltd does extremely well against flare and other lights in my experience.

Of course, I don't know much about the XS version, but if they share a similar optical formula, do you really need it?
04-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It seems I have all my hoods dimensions in my notes but that one. However, it is in the ball park of 12mm. I well get an exact measure over the weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Thanks I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
in my experience with 40LTD is that the hood acts more as the added security against objects getting into the front element rather than blocking light.

Of course, I don't know much about the XS version, but if they share a similar optical formula, do you really need it?
Thanks Ricky, that is good to know. I'm not sure if I'll need a hood, the weather here has been gloomy and snowy since I got it. being temped by the limited version, I wanted to check out my options before my grace period is up. However Im sticking with the xs.

12mm isn't very deep, I'll probably try to create one from step up rings instead of purchasing a larger camcorder hood...

04-14-2012, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote

The newer version 40mm f2.8 xs as a type of basic outfit lens is far above average. The two best things about it are the size and above average optical quality. Also the fact that when purchased as an outfit lens that the average consumer can't help but notice they're saving about 150 if purchased seperately.

...And let the controversy begin... But this is what I've noticed so far in many, many test pics. It's not entirely sceintific just yet at to all of the stats and figures, but is based upon very finely detailed printed images; and thoroughly magnified ones of various subjects under real world conditions. So if this reads as being a bit off the mark, please take a stand and chime in anyone.

I've found that this "newer version" of the Pentax 40mm f2.8 xs to be alomost identical optically (in results) to the former model; except that the older model is somewhat larger and does accept a larger filter - but the older one also has a type of focus index on it - whereas the newer one does not. I was quite suprised by this one. I thought that the larger optical spacing and also size of the optics would make a much more noticable difference, but I have yet to notice that difference. But also please notice the considerable price difference between the two.

Optically the existing xs holds it own quite well against any lens in the current Pentax PK mount (noting the next paragraph) at a price range below $600; especially in the zoom lens mounts. And the existing xs even holds up well against most (but not quite all) in the price range above 1k - quite an accomplishment.

Then there's the Pentax FA 43mm f1.9... About the same focal length as the two mntioned above lens, but the difference really shows in the 1.9 aperature range. I also did in fact notice that this 43 is indeed better under all ranges than the current xs. The 43 also has adjustable aperature range on the lens for more traditional photographers such as myself; and also a depth of field scale of sorts, and focus index. Current price at a bit over 500, but well worth it.

If someone likes a wider field of view than the so called traditional lens I would highly recommend both the Pentax FA 31mm f1.8 and also the Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 (somewhat refered to as a macro - of sorts).

If someone wants to get a bit closer with a fixed lens; then might I suggest both the Pentax 55mm f1.4 or the Pentax 77mm f1.8.

I would even strongly suggest that the Zeiss manual focus lens' might very well be worth a try.

I've had more types of camera systems over the years than I want to admit to. While the K-01 with the xs lens is quite the impressive set-up... It's never quite in the same ballpark as a Leica ranrgefinder, yet... For a non full frame digital this one almost sets a new type of benchmark. I find myself using this xs lens about a third of the time - if the composition is able to be framed correctly.
04-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote

How often have you shot with the lens and no hood especially in bright sun etc? It has been my experience that there are a lot of situations that the FA 50/1.4 is fine without a hood but there are others where it is an improvement.
07-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Has anyone tried the Mennon lens hood?
Amazon.com: Mennon DV-s 27 Screw Mount 27mm Digital Video Camcorder Lens Hood with Cap, Black: Camera & Photo

02-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #11

I'd be curious to see how those 27mm square hoods work, too.

They're also available on Ebay here: 27mm 27 Lens Square Hood+Cap for Sony Canon Mini DV | eBay
02-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnnie518 Quote
Has anyone tried the Mennon lens hood?
I bought that hood, but my opinion so far is, "....meh." It looks like a decent hood, but the filter threads are all plastic so any little sideways knock makes it pop off. I'm hoping to find a metal 27mm filter, knock the glass out of it, then super-glue the lens hood to it so that I'll have a metal ring with which to attach my hood. I'm a big believer in hoods...so even though I've been pretty happy with the performance of my 40XS so far, I think a hood will make it even better.
02-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

I use a part of water plastic tube as hood for the lens, very good
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've never used a hood for the 40 XS, and I've never been disappointed by its results. I think it's very well designed so you don't really need one.
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ebay has a lot of nice 27mm metal hoods - and cheap!
I have one and works just great.