Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Home run, Mark. And that's the game!
It's well known the rival brands are bigger and as such have more to offer in sheer numbers of camera bodies and lenses, but considering Pentax's market share, you'd have to say they've done very well with providing the range of products that they have proportionally.

04-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
K5 eliminated the need for most of the fast lenses, in turn it also reinforced the need for more wr lenses.
Since the K-5 has better DR and noticeably better color at ISO 80, it paradoxically becomes a bit frustrating itself. It has fantastic high-ISO performance, yet it's at its best when it's not. I realize this is expected on any camera, but the K-5 doesn't have some apparent "sweet spot" in the middle - it's actually just better at slow end. So for this and a number of other reasons (including DOF control and image quality at all apertures) a fast lens is almost always better.

So, for example, when shooting an indoor play with the FA*85/1.4 I can lower my ISO by two stops compared to my DA* zooms, or three stops compared to the DA17-70/4 I used to have. Or, in practice, I can reduce that chance of motion blur by using an adequate shutter speed.
04-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

OP...No, does not bother me much.

Maybe if i knew more it would?

What does bother me is the great lenses are extict and you got to fight tooth and nail and wait eons to even have a chance to get one.
04-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Since the K-5 has better DR and noticeably better color at ISO 80, it paradoxically becomes a bit frustrating itself. It has fantastic high-ISO performance, yet it's at its best when it's not. I realize this is expected on any camera, but the K-5 doesn't have some apparent "sweet spot" in the middle - it's actually just better at slow end. So for this and a number of other reasons (including DOF control and image quality at all apertures) a fast lens is almost always better.

So, for example, when shooting an indoor play with the FA*85/1.4 I can lower my ISO by two stops compared to my DA* zooms, or three stops compared to the DA17-70/4 I used to have. Or, in practice, I can reduce that chance of motion blur by using an adequate shutter speed.
It's obviously going to be better at ISO 80 than it will be at ISO 200 or 400. That's expected. Sensitivity is not like aperture where sharpness will be best at around f/8. So we shouldn't want our cake and eat it.

04-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's obviously going to be better at ISO 80 than it will be at ISO 200 or 400. That's expected. Sensitivity is not like aperture where sharpness will be best at around f/8. So we shouldn't want our cake and eat it.
No, actually it's not obvious. My K200D looks as good or better at ISO 200 than ISO 100. But it's a different sensor (CCD even) and a different design. The electronic "tricks" that are played with sensors and ISO are not as straightforward as film ISO.

And of course I don't expect it to function like the aperture to sharpness relationship.

I was really trying to reinforce the idea that fast glass is still quite important, while also bringing up the strange irony the the best Pentax DSLR, with its CMOS sensor, sometimes makes me feel more limited than lesser models. So in a way, the K-5 has made me appreciate my fast glass even more, not less.
04-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What I find frustrating: Pentax is the price-performance leader in camera bodies but not in lenses. We need Pentax-quality lenses at Tokina-level prices. Is this impossible? I've seen the suggestion that Pentax make versions of its lenses for other mounts, to boost sales and lower costs. Is this feasible?
04-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've seen the suggestion that Pentax make versions of its lenses for other mounts, to boost sales and lower costs. Is this feasible?
I don't know, but I hope so! LOL. One argument for not doing it: if I could get the FA Limiteds in F-mount, I'd never look at a Pentax camera body again. :P
04-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

As a footnote, it never occurred to me that ISO 80 made that much difference on the K-5 until about a year ago, many months after I bought it. That was when I asked Dominique Schreckling how he got such good color out of his K-5 photos. He replied that, more than anything else, the secret was using ISO 80. I'd really only been going down to ISO 100 or 125 before that, but I found that he was right.

And since I'd earlier discovered (through both reviews and my own testing) that ISO 5000 showed significantly lower noise than ISO 6400 (more than expected from just 1/3 stop less) that made it easy to then adopt ISO 80, 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, and 5000 (with 10000 in a pinch) as my normal range. Staying with one-stop increments makes it easier if you ever need to create any profiles (such as for 3rd party NR software) for use in PP later.

As to the OP, I'm personally pretty happy with my fast Pentax glass & what I can do with it, but this is partly because I've included some out of production models. The main lens I see missing right now is a fast 24mm lens with good bokeh. They also need to address their widest and longest ranges, but according to the lens map, they're largely doing that.

I agree that a new 135/1.8 would be nice - Sony really has one on Pentax here.

04-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
What does bother me is the great lenses are extict and you got to fight tooth and nail and wait eons to even have a chance to get one.
That might be a problem for some, but I'm happy with what the current Pentax lineup offers I admit, at some costs:

FA31Ltd and FA77Ltd for fast
DA12-24 for wide
DA55-300 for long
DFA100WR for macro

The only thing that I eventually might find lacking is a fast telezoom (70-200/2.8) or fastish telezoom (120-300/4) but I have not encountered the situations yet where I (personally) really need it.
04-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Not sure what is more frustrating regarding the Pentax lens line:

1) Lack of fast glass. 5 current lenses are f/2 or faster: FA50, DA*55, FA Lmtds
2) Lack of more quality WR glass. I wish there were another normal zoom DA* option (16-50 SDM failures bother me, plus it seems to have worst quality than the 17-50s from the other brands). Even more so wish there were more wide, normal, and short tele prime WR choices.

Any of you share these feelings?
Not at all, the reason for frustration is more often than not BEHIND the viewfinder...
04-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a DFA 135/1.8 though...
That would rock!
04-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My DA* 16~50/2.8 more than takes care of my wide angle needs. Something beyond the DA* 300/4 is the biggest hole in the Pentax lineup and I see this is being addressed in the Pentax Roadmap. Other than that, for my needs, the Pentax lineup is more than adequate.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 04-16-2012 at 04:34 AM.
04-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
What's most frustrating to me is having cameras that can take technically better images than anything possible over the first century of photographic history, and hundreds of lenses to choose to in a variety of focal lengths, speeds, sizes, and prices, and then have people constantly complain that some particular piece of equipment they want isn't available. If you can't manage to take pictures with what *is* available, just what exactly does that say?
How do I like this more than once? :-)
04-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I always get a laugh when some triviality comes along, and the hue and cry and people changing systems at rather great cost because of it. Every time one company leap frogs another, people change systems, and then misuse the new equipment, operating it far below it's capacity more often than not. Until the next lurch, and then the cycle starts all over again.
I find that very entertaining myself, gone are the days where professionals would stick to one camera their whole lifetime - nowadays people are changing the brand of their camera as often as they change the tyres on their car.
04-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
gone are the days where professionals would stick to one camera their whole lifetime
Possibly because modern cameras won't last a lifetime, even for a Great Dane. (Big dogs are short-lived.)

QuoteQuote:
nowadays people are changing the brand of their camera as often as they change the tyres on their car.
Some seem to burn through cameras even more quickly. But if they|we changed cameras as often as changing underwear, the global economy would be sizzling!