Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's more frustrating?

Not sure what is more frustrating regarding the Pentax lens line:

1) Lack of fast glass. 5 current lenses are f/2 or faster: FA50, DA*55, FA Lmtds
2) Lack of more quality WR glass. I wish there were another normal zoom DA* option (16-50 SDM failures bother me, plus it seems to have worst quality than the 17-50s from the other brands). Even more so wish there were more wide, normal, and short tele prime WR choices.

Any of you share these feelings?

04-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not really :-) I live in So California where it hardly ever rains - except it's pouring today. Don't really need faster glass as I'm mostly a daytime outdoor shooter. (I sold my fastest lens). For others, I suppose those things could be handy.
04-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not as passionately. I have the FA limiteds and I believe once you invest in them you'll not ask for anything faster or better. I gave up an FA 50/1.4 quite reluctantly when an FA 43 was on offer some years ago, and I very quickly got over the fact that I was trading in a faster lens for a slower one. I also have no interest in getting a DA* 55, FA* 85 or Sigma 30/1.4 because I've not been found wanting with the FA limiteds. I wouldn't mind seeing a DFA 135/1.8 though...

I had the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 at one stage and they too were more than enough for most applications as weather sealed lenses. My 16-50 had been through sea spray, rain and a dust storm without a hitch and gave me many a brilliant image. It does have barrel distortion at the wide end but the DA* f/2.8 images are very useable and the build quality was unrivalled. I do have reservations about the SDM and do hope that the next SDM development does improve on the current DA* lineup. As I feel that lenses should be forever, I did not get the sense that those DA* lenses would have that kind of longevity electromechanically. The kit WR lenses rather are quite decent but I wouldn't consider going back to them, so I also find myself looking for a WR setup but am limited by the current options. I think there may be more on offer later this year or next in this regard.
04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes. Although I took two steps recently toward addressing the fast(er) glass issue with an 85/1.4 and a 70/2.4. Still, the lack of WR lenses and the craziness with the prices is off-putting. Changing systems is a combination to too much money, too much change, and a good range of MF lenses that I already own.

04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes. Although I took two steps recently toward addressing the fast(er) glass issue with an 85/1.4 and a 70/2.4. Still, the lack of WR lenses and the craziness with the prices is off-putting. Changing systems is a combination to too much money, too much change, and a good range of MF lenses that I already own.
I always get a laugh when some triviality comes along, and the hue and cry and people changing systems at rather great cost because of it.
Every time one company leap frogs another, people change systems, and then misuse the new equipment, operating it far below it's capacity more often than not.
Until the next lurch, and then the cycle starts all over again.
04-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes. Although I took two steps recently toward addressing the fast(er) glass issue with an 85/1.4
Yes I regretfully sold it to you.
04-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Yes I regretfully sold it to you.
Don't regret it too much, it's a bear to focus

04-13-2012, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 eliminated the need for most of the fast lenses, in turn it also reinforced the need for more wr lenses.
04-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
K5 eliminated the need for most of the fast lenses, in turn it also created the need for more wr lenses.
I wouldn't say it eliminated the need for fast lenses. I still find situations where I still need <f3 given the situation. That's why I am finding the 35/2.4 a VERY useful lens and why I thought that the 70/2.4 would also be incredibly useful.
04-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K5 eliminated the need for most of the fast lenses, in turn it also reinforced the need for more wr lenses.
Or rather, slow cheap WR lenses work perfectly fine on the k-5.
04-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to rephrase. It made most of the f4 lenses very usable. As far as WR, it still stands.
04-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I need to rephrase. It made most of the f4 lenses very usable. As far as WR, it still stands.
Agreed on both points.
04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

1) Lack of fast glass. 5 current lenses are f/2 or faster: FA50, DA*55, FA Lmtds
I'm more than happy with the shallow DOF that any of my lenses can give me, so no need for fast there. And the high ISO performance of the K5 (and I assume K-r and K-x) have taken away the need for fast glass (for me).
2) Lack of more quality WR glass. I wish there were another normal zoom DA* option (16-50 SDM failures bother me, plus it seems to have worst quality than the 17-50s from the other brands). Even more so wish there were more wide, normal, and short tele prime WR choices
As I'm stupid enough to use the FA31Ltd in the rain, I don't quite share that sentiment Having said that, if the DA(-L)35/2.4 would have been a WR lens (at let's say US$300), I would buy it and rather use that in those situations (for the extra peace of mind).
04-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lack of FF is more frustrating
04-14-2012, 02:00 PM - 5 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

What's most frustrating to me is having cameras that can take technically better images than anything possible over the first century of photographic history, and hundreds of lenses to choose to in a variety of focal lengths, speeds, sizes, and prices, and then have people constantly complain that some particular piece of equipment they want isn't available. If you can't manage to take pictures with what *is* available, just what exactly does that say?