Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #1

what lica lenses can be made to work with a K5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hi

well i was surfing the flickriver and was blown away by the lica lenses specially the Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.0.
so im wondering is there any lica lenses that can be made to work with a pentax k5 and will they produce similar results.

thanks

04-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear nirVaan: The problem is backfocus = the distance from the back of the lens to the image plane. For Pentax and all other (D)SLR cameras the backfocus is long because of the mirror. For Leitz lenses designed for the "M" series range finder bodies, the backfocus is much shorter. Therefore, andy/all Leitz range finder lenses can NOT be focussed to infinity when mounted on any (D)SLR, even if you could locate an adapter. They can only be used as close-up lenses. The only Leitz lenses than can focus to infinity when mounted on a (D)SLR are some of the telephotos that were made to be used with a Visoflex housing (=Leica's method for converting a rangefinder camera into an SLR). Old screw-mount Leitz telephotos are the easiest to mount on a (D)SLR (easier to locate a Leitz screw-mount adapter than a Leitz M bayonet adapter).
NOT possible to mount the Noctilux on a K5 and be able to focus to infinity. It could only be used for fairly extreme close up, probably less than a meter, and it would not be a good lens for such use. Modern, far less expensive macro lenses would out-perform it easily.
04-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #3

yes... and all of them will set you back boatloads of money =)
there is a nice voigtlander... and a rare konica too =) and that's just m mount for leica

if you're a millionaire, why not.

otherwise, sigma 50 ex dg hsm f1.4 =)
04-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Dear nirVaan: The problem is backfocus = the distance from the back of the lens to the image plane. For Pentax and all other (D)SLR cameras the backfocus is long because of the mirror. For Leitz lenses designed for the "M" series range finder bodies, the backfocus is much shorter. Therefore, andy/all Leitz range finder lenses can NOT be focussed to infinity when mounted on any (D)SLR, even if you could locate an adapter. They can only be used as close-up lenses. The only Leitz lenses than can focus to infinity when mounted on a (D)SLR are some of the telephotos that were made to be used with a Visoflex housing (=Leica's method for converting a rangefinder camera into an SLR). Old screw-mount Leitz telephotos are the easiest to mount on a (D)SLR (easier to locate a Leitz screw-mount adapter than a Leitz M bayonet adapter).
NOT possible to mount the Noctilux on a K5 and be able to focus to infinity. It could only be used for fairly extreme close up, probably less than a meter, and it would not be a good lens for such use. Modern, far less expensive macro lenses would out-perform it easily.
and if you really want a leica lens... there's R mount too and all the f1.4 summiluxs

04-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning,

Here is a website with some information. They supply specific mounting kits for a number of quality older lenses from Leica (R) and Contax (Carl Zeiss) along with Olympus (Zuiko).I have two older Contax (Zeiss) lenses that I have (or rather had) remounted with their K mounts, and they work perfectly well. Their mounting kits, for specific lenses, take in to account the difference in the registration distance (the distance between the sensor and the physical lens mounting flange on the body).

The other observation is that there are other factors involved like - availability, location, opportunity and most important of all, the skill of the photographer, and how they see the world around them..... actual equipment comes in pretty low on the list.

Hope that helps......

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-14-2012 at 07:21 AM.
04-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The other observation is that there are other factors involved like - availability, location, opportunity and most important of all, the skill of the photographer..... actual equipment comes in pretty low on the list.
i agree but the sharpness and the out of focus rendering Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.0. is something that i haven't seen in other lenses
04-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
i agree but the sharpness and the out of focus rendering Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.0. is something that i haven't seen in other lenses
Morning - Have you looked at the current pricing for the lens?Then there is the "Special Edition" of the lens.... - note, that this version comes with its own set of white gloves....... they certainly are special lenses.

04-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

All Leica lenses are easy to use -- just not on Pentax PK-mount cameras (except Leica R-mount). Try Olympus m4/3, Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Pentax Q, etc. These shorter-register cameras can all take short-register Leica rangefinder lenses.
04-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Then there is the "Special Edition" of the lens.... - note, that this version comes with its own set of white gloves.... Leica | 50mm f/1.0 Special Edition Noctilux-M | 11603 ... they certainly are special lenses.
yea the prices are absurd.you could by a car for that amount :P
04-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #10

hi guys, what do u think about Leica R - Vario Elmar 35-70? have you tried it on K5? I'm going to buy Vario Elmar and Leitax adapter.
04-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Respecting expensive Leitz equipment. Quite a way back Leica made, for a very short time, an 800mm lens - NOT the later modular 280-400-560-800 kit. As I remember, you had to order one and wait - no camera store carried it in stock. The standard joke was that instead of a pouch or case, it came with a padded Volkswagen for transport.

Sorry gekino, I don't know about the Vario Elmar.
04-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #12

thank's a lot
04-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Respecting expensive Leitz equipment. Quite a way back Leica made, for a very short time, an 800mm lens - NOT the later modular 280-400-560-800 kit. As I remember, you had to order one and wait - no camera store carried it in stock. The standard joke was that instead of a pouch or case, it came with a padded Volkswagen for transpor
But wasn't the punchline of the joke that the Volkswagen cost less?
04-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
If you can swing the price of the noctilux you can afford the M9 to use it on IMO
It's a pretty fantastic lens. If you manage to steal one and want a low cost alternative get the GXR M mountor which performs better with the leica lenses than the Nex cameras
04-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gekino Quote
hi guys, what do u think about Leica R - Vario Elmar 35-70? have you tried it on K5? I'm going to buy Vario Elmar and Leitax adapter.
I would note one caution from Leitax

QuoteQuote:
CAUTION! The Leica Zoom lenses with ROM contacts are, in general, not suitable for Pentax conversion. Most of models would need a custom and expensive work. I would recommend to find a non ROM model in case you wish a Leica Zoom lens.

I would also say the real value in the R to k conversion comes in some of the fantastic primes in R mount that are now stupidly cheap compared to what they sold for originally since Leica has abandoned the Mount.

the really sweet one to try for is the Summicron 90