Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best non-pentax primes with AF?

Hello everyone,

I need some help. I am looking for non Pentax primes with AF to go with a K-5. Something like the Canon 50mm f1.8 for example. (cheap, very sharp, nearly no CA at all)
I would go with Pentax lenses, but the visual quality/look just doesn't fit my taste. (CA, out of focus areas, image clarity) I am aware of the Tamron 90mm, which seems to be nice, but I also need a good walkaround lens and something wider.

The Sigma 50mm f1.4 might be an option, has anyone here used it? It seems to suffer from some CA, according to reviews, but should have a butter smooth bokeh.

04-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at the lens reviews:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Some non-premium lenses you might be interested in are:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (not yet available)
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2012, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is nothing available.
04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you don't like the rendition of the Pentax lenses, why are you using a Pentax camera? o_O
Sigma will provide the wider range of non Pentax AF primes.

04-16-2012, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Nothing better than the crappy Pentax lenses is available from third-party makers for the K mount. In you place, I'd sell the K-5 and get a nice D7000 with a couple of cheap, uber-sharp Nikon lenses--which, btw, have no CA whatsoever.

The K-5 is just a bad dream that happened to you.
04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't think you can simply throw all the lenses together.
The 3 50mm lenses has f/1.7 f1.4 and f/1.2 all create a different image so look at individual lenses instead.
It's much easier to pick a focal length you want and then start comparing, there is little use to name all the primes here...

beside is there much difference between the Tamron 90 and the Pentax 100?

Last edited by Anvh; 04-16-2012 at 12:54 PM.
04-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
If you don't like the rendition of the Pentax lenses, why are you using a Pentax camera? o_O.
Good Question. the way the lenses render is actually what keeps me
Out of interest what Pentax Primes have you tried that leads to the conclusion you have made (there are a huge number of 50's and they all have unique qualities)

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Sigma will provide the wider range of non Pentax AF primes.
And some of them are very good.
the 30 1.4 is pretty stellar at about half the price of the FA31
The 50 1.4 form Sigma is good but pricey for what it is, at that price i would rather have the FA 50 1.4 and some cash in my pocket or the DA55

04-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Nothing better than the crappy Pentax lenses is available from third-party makers for the K mount. In you place, I'd sell the K-5 and get a nice D7000 with a couple of cheap, uber-sharp Nikon lenses--which, btw, have no CA whatsoever.

The K-5 is just a bad dream that happened to you.
Not always, just look at the cheap 35mm offerings, the Pentax one is sharper and has less CA
ps. and has smoother Bokeh.
04-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Not always, just look at the cheap 35mm offerings, the Pentax one is sharper and has less CA
the 35 2.4 is actually damn impressive for the price. it actually makes it hard to justify the move to the FA35
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think you can simply throw all the lenses together.
The 3 50mm lenses has f/1.7 f1.4 and f/1.2 all create a different image so look at individual lenses instead.
It's much easier to pick a focal length you want and then start comparing, there is little use to name all the primes here...

beside is there much difference between the Tamron 90 and the Pentax 100?
And isn't this ironic?
04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I should have worded my question in a different manner. Please, don't get me wrong guys, I am not bashing Pentax in any way.
I am sure that many people love and adore their Pentax lenses. And it's perfectly fine that way. Everyone just has their taste.

Pentax has created a great camera with awesome build, quality and features. On top of that we have the incredible Sony sensor. I guess I like the Pentax mindset of not intentionally crippling a product.
I have seen images shot with the K-5, and there's plenty with incredible tonal resolution and dynamics.

I will look into the 30mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4.

The most interesting focal range to me is 30, 31, 35 and 50.
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
And isn't this ironic?
Not really.
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
I am sure that many people love and adore their Pentax lenses.
That would be at best immature: adoring objects--wouldn't it? I don't love my lenses, nor do I hate other lenses.
Just wondering: where did you see pics taken with Pentax lenses so nasty that made you think about getting only third-party glass?
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Not really.
To make things clear: I was being ironic. I wasn't actually stating that Pentax lenses are crappy.
04-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
I guess I should have worded my question in a different manner. Please, don't get me wrong guys, I am not bashing Pentax in any way.
I am sure that many people love and adore their Pentax lenses. And it's perfectly fine that way. Everyone just has their taste.
The thing is you throw everything under one batch.

There are some here include myself that dislike the Bokeh of the DA*55 for example but i like what the FA77, DFA100, DA*50-135 and DA40 does so don't exclude a lens because of your experience with another lens of the same brand.
Sigma has some fine lenses but not all are great, same goes for all brands.