Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
Senior Member
okitoki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 150
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/81528-fa50mm-f...mm-f1-7-a.html

04-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Ikarus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 460
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I find that the performance far exceeds its modest cost and it somehow keeps ending up on my K-5.
Same here. The 35/2.4 has instantly become my default lens, the one I keep on my K-x while it sits in the bag, so that I'm ready for the unexpected occasion.
04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
Omestes's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
I like the 35/2.4, don't get me wrong, and I have shot some nice pictures with it. It just isn't my preferred length. I'm a strange bird, I keep the 100mm macro on the camera when its stored away, so my opinions are a bit suspect. Of my lenses, I use the macro and the A 50 1.7 the most, by far.

I've poked around a bit, and decided on three options... I can either sit around waiting for a FA 1.7 to hit the market or KEH. I can spring for a FA 50 1.4, or I can be silly and just get a D FA 50mm macro (or an F, I saw one floating around somewhere in the tubes). I'm leaning towards the 1.4, since looking at some pics it doesn't look as soft as I thought it might be. But the macro is a bug bear... I love the idea. Keep the A 1.7, get another macro, then my shelf full of glass can grow even mightier...

Gr... LBA is a terrible terrible thing.
04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
I like the 35/2.4, don't get me wrong, and I have shot some nice pictures with it. It just isn't my preferred length. I'm a strange bird, I keep the 100mm macro on the camera when its stored away, so my opinions are a bit suspect. Of my lenses, I use the macro and the A 50 1.7 the most, by far.

I've poked around a bit, and decided on three options... I can either sit around waiting for a FA 1.7 to hit the market or KEH. I can spring for a FA 50 1.4, or I can be silly and just get a D FA 50mm macro (or an F, I saw one floating around somewhere in the tubes). I'm leaning towards the 1.4, since looking at some pics it doesn't look as soft as I thought it might be. But the macro is a bug bear... I love the idea. Keep the A 1.7, get another macro, then my shelf full of glass can grow even mightier...

Gr... LBA is a terrible terrible thing.
If you really look at the designs of those different lenses you'll see that the 1.4 has the most forward/exposed front element of them all. That is why it must have a hood to perform at its best.

04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Senior Member
Omestes's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you really look at the designs of those different lenses you'll see that the 1.4 has the most forward/exposed front element of them all. That is why it must have a hood to perform at its best.
Looking at the comparison thread linked here, it looks like the 1.7 is a bit closer to my tastes, the included portrait shots look a lot like what I get from the A 1.7. I'm not sure what the term for that look would be. And even with a hood, the 1.7 seems a bit sharper until f/2.8. I'm guessing, though, that I could shoot with either of them and be happy.

I think I'll keep an eye on the marketplace and KEH for a week, and then get what I can find.

Which leads me to one final question, outside of body and build, is there a big difference between the F and FA in either speed?
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
is the 35 2.4 perform better than the 2.8? I have been debating if I should sell the 2.8 to get the 2.4

Macro function is optional since I don't do alot of it...
The limited is a different lens then the 2.4 so the 2.4 can have some image expects you prefer but can also be the other way around.
Think about bokeh, colour and contrast for example.
Non of the two is superior over the other besides build quality
04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
is the 35 2.4 perform better than the 2.8? I have been debating if I should sell the 2.8 to get the 2.4

Macro function is optional since I don't do alot of it...
In this range (a bit wide to a bit tele) I think this bit of advice I read a couple of years hold true "If you buy a zoom make it no slower than f/2.8, if you buy a prime make it no slower than f/2." At the time I dismissed the advice and bought a DA40 and DA70 anyway.... 12 months later I realised the wisdom of it. If you are going to restrict yourself with a prime on your camera, then make it a damn fast one to give you possibilities a zoom can't give, otherwsie why bother, just buy that 2.8 zoom and forget the prime.
04-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
"If you buy a zoom make it no slower than f/2.8, if you buy a prime make it no slower than f/2."
A bit difficult if you use Pentax If one excludes old glass, nothing faster than f/2 above 77mm in the current line-up. But f/2.8 is good enough for me.

04-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
A bit difficult if you use Pentax If one excludes old glass, nothing faster than f/2 above 77mm in the current line-up. But f/2.8 is good enough for me.
That's why I said from a bit wide to a bit tele; ie about 30ish to 80ish. There's plenty of f/2 and faster options in this range.
04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
The DA40 f/2.8 has a great T-stop though from what i've heard, i wish there was a list about that.

Got it, it's 3.1TStop which actually not that great....
The DA35 f/2.4 is 2.6TStop

Last edited by Anvh; 04-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Senior Member
Omestes's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
Woah there... I just got lost. What is a "T-stop?"

Woo! A FA 50 1.7 just popped on on KEH for $100 less than I was going to pay for the 1.4. I knew I should have stayed up too late for that last beer.

Last edited by Omestes; 04-18-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: shenanigans.
04-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
Woah there... I just got lost. What is a "T-stop?"
In brief: A T-stop is the measured light transmission of a lens. An F-stop is just the ratio of the aperture opening to the focal length. It doesn't take into account the efficiency of optics and coatings. Lenses with modern coatings transmit more light than do older others. Pro cine lenses are calibrated in T-stops so that lenses can be swapped without changing light levels.
04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Senior Member
Omestes's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 206
Original Poster
Interesting... Thanks for setting me off on a giant Wikipedia spree.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, af, bit, color, contrast, fa, iq, k-mount, lens, love, pentax lens, photography, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error server not found, again. sigh Nass Site Suggestions and Help 4 11-05-2011 10:13 AM
GOP audience applauds executions -sigh newarts General Talk 21 09-10-2011 02:28 PM
DA * 300 ... sigh... Michaelina2 Post Your Photos! 9 08-09-2009 08:08 PM
*sigh* jct us101 General Talk 41 05-07-2009 07:16 PM
K20D Sigh of relief Taff Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 08-30-2008 02:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top