Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #16

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/81528-fa50mm-f...mm-f1-7-a.html

04-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I find that the performance far exceeds its modest cost and it somehow keeps ending up on my K-5.
Same here. The 35/2.4 has instantly become my default lens, the one I keep on my K-x while it sits in the bag, so that I'm ready for the unexpected occasion.
04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I like the 35/2.4, don't get me wrong, and I have shot some nice pictures with it. It just isn't my preferred length. I'm a strange bird, I keep the 100mm macro on the camera when its stored away, so my opinions are a bit suspect. Of my lenses, I use the macro and the A 50 1.7 the most, by far.

I've poked around a bit, and decided on three options... I can either sit around waiting for a FA 1.7 to hit the market or KEH. I can spring for a FA 50 1.4, or I can be silly and just get a D FA 50mm macro (or an F, I saw one floating around somewhere in the tubes). I'm leaning towards the 1.4, since looking at some pics it doesn't look as soft as I thought it might be. But the macro is a bug bear... I love the idea. Keep the A 1.7, get another macro, then my shelf full of glass can grow even mightier...

Gr... LBA is a terrible terrible thing.
04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
I like the 35/2.4, don't get me wrong, and I have shot some nice pictures with it. It just isn't my preferred length. I'm a strange bird, I keep the 100mm macro on the camera when its stored away, so my opinions are a bit suspect. Of my lenses, I use the macro and the A 50 1.7 the most, by far.

I've poked around a bit, and decided on three options... I can either sit around waiting for a FA 1.7 to hit the market or KEH. I can spring for a FA 50 1.4, or I can be silly and just get a D FA 50mm macro (or an F, I saw one floating around somewhere in the tubes). I'm leaning towards the 1.4, since looking at some pics it doesn't look as soft as I thought it might be. But the macro is a bug bear... I love the idea. Keep the A 1.7, get another macro, then my shelf full of glass can grow even mightier...

Gr... LBA is a terrible terrible thing.
If you really look at the designs of those different lenses you'll see that the 1.4 has the most forward/exposed front element of them all. That is why it must have a hood to perform at its best.

04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you really look at the designs of those different lenses you'll see that the 1.4 has the most forward/exposed front element of them all. That is why it must have a hood to perform at its best.
Looking at the comparison thread linked here, it looks like the 1.7 is a bit closer to my tastes, the included portrait shots look a lot like what I get from the A 1.7. I'm not sure what the term for that look would be. And even with a hood, the 1.7 seems a bit sharper until f/2.8. I'm guessing, though, that I could shoot with either of them and be happy.

I think I'll keep an eye on the marketplace and KEH for a week, and then get what I can find.

Which leads me to one final question, outside of body and build, is there a big difference between the F and FA in either speed?
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
is the 35 2.4 perform better than the 2.8? I have been debating if I should sell the 2.8 to get the 2.4

Macro function is optional since I don't do alot of it...
The limited is a different lens then the 2.4 so the 2.4 can have some image expects you prefer but can also be the other way around.
Think about bokeh, colour and contrast for example.
Non of the two is superior over the other besides build quality
04-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
is the 35 2.4 perform better than the 2.8? I have been debating if I should sell the 2.8 to get the 2.4

Macro function is optional since I don't do alot of it...
In this range (a bit wide to a bit tele) I think this bit of advice I read a couple of years hold true "If you buy a zoom make it no slower than f/2.8, if you buy a prime make it no slower than f/2." At the time I dismissed the advice and bought a DA40 and DA70 anyway.... 12 months later I realised the wisdom of it. If you are going to restrict yourself with a prime on your camera, then make it a damn fast one to give you possibilities a zoom can't give, otherwsie why bother, just buy that 2.8 zoom and forget the prime.
04-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
"If you buy a zoom make it no slower than f/2.8, if you buy a prime make it no slower than f/2."
A bit difficult if you use Pentax If one excludes old glass, nothing faster than f/2 above 77mm in the current line-up. But f/2.8 is good enough for me.

04-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
A bit difficult if you use Pentax If one excludes old glass, nothing faster than f/2 above 77mm in the current line-up. But f/2.8 is good enough for me.
That's why I said from a bit wide to a bit tele; ie about 30ish to 80ish. There's plenty of f/2 and faster options in this range.
04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The DA40 f/2.8 has a great T-stop though from what i've heard, i wish there was a list about that.

Got it, it's 3.1TStop which actually not that great....
The DA35 f/2.4 is 2.6TStop

Last edited by Anvh; 04-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #26

Original Poster
Woah there... I just got lost. What is a "T-stop?"

Woo! A FA 50 1.7 just popped on on KEH for $100 less than I was going to pay for the 1.4. I knew I should have stayed up too late for that last beer.

Last edited by Omestes; 04-18-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: shenanigans.
04-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
Woah there... I just got lost. What is a "T-stop?"
In brief: A T-stop is the measured light transmission of a lens. An F-stop is just the ratio of the aperture opening to the focal length. It doesn't take into account the efficiency of optics and coatings. Lenses with modern coatings transmit more light than do older others. Pro cine lenses are calibrated in T-stops so that lenses can be swapped without changing light levels.
04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #28

Original Poster
Interesting... Thanks for setting me off on a giant Wikipedia spree.