Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you, that's very handy

04-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Thank you, that's very handy
EXIF data is terrific for analyzing your pics and seeing if you can id what you did that was better/worse in any series. I particularly like a little program that will look at all the picture files in a folder and give you stats on things like focal length used by %, ISO used, f, speed, etc. so you can see if there is a pattern. It's what brought me to buying the 35/2.4 when I analyzed my kit lens pictures I found that I had a large cluster of photos at the 32-37mm range. It also led me to my Tamron 10-24 because I had a bunch at 18mm and wanted them to be even wider. Exif data allows such analyses in order to make more informed lens buying decisions.
04-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I agree with Causey-- maybe this is a grey market model, the DA-L version. I'm skeptical that you can haggle or ask for them to reduce the price of a brand-new 55-300 down from $430 to its original $350 that it was selling for before the unilateral pricing policy went into effect.

According to the B&H Representative in the "Ask B&H" forum, "A unilateral price policy sets the minimum selling price and retailers may not offer discounts from that base price unless specifically authorized to do so. My experience with other suppliers is new rules like these are strictly enforced and the penalties for violating them are severe."

So... maybe Adorama got authorization from Pentax to cut $80 off the price upon a simple email request for them to "do better" with the price. That would be great, but I wonder how many other people would try that and get the same deal? My experience with Adorama is that you can try calling and talking to a sales rep and sometimes they give you a small discount, like 5% off. But $80 off? I don't believe it, but if they really can do that for you, that's a good deal on this lens brand-new, with full warranty (at this time, post lens increases-- most everywhere else on the Internet the lens is going for the $429 price).

What's weird is that Adorama's Used Department is selling a Used "condition D" DA-L 55-300 for $319, here: Used Pentax Smcp-da L 55-300mm F4-5.8 Ed
whereas they are selling the Grey Market version of DA-L 55-300 for $240, here: Pentax SMC P-DAL 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Lens 21897

Why would you get the used one when you can get a "new" DA-L model for $80 less? And the Grey Market version comes with a 1 year Adorama warranty, whereas the used version is only 90 days.

Very strange...
04-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I agree with Causey-- maybe this is a grey market model, the DA-L version. I'm skeptical that you can haggle or ask for them to reduce the price of a brand-new 55-300 down from $430 to its original $350 that it was selling for before the unilateral pricing policy went into effect.

According to the B&H Representative in the "Ask B&H" forum, "A unilateral price policy sets the minimum selling price and retailers may not offer discounts from that base price unless specifically authorized to do so. My experience with other suppliers is new rules like these are strictly enforced and the penalties for violating them are severe."

So... maybe Adorama got authorization from Pentax to cut $80 off the price upon a simple email request for them to "do better" with the price. That would be great, but I wonder how many other people would try that and get the same deal? My experience with Adorama is that you can try calling and talking to a sales rep and sometimes they give you a small discount, like 5% off. But $80 off? I don't believe it, but if they really can do that for you, that's a good deal on this lens brand-new, with full warranty (at this time, post lens increases-- most everywhere else on the Internet the lens is going for the $429 price).

What's weird is that Adorama's Used Department is selling a Used "condition D" DA-L 55-300 for $319, here: Used Pentax Smcp-da L 55-300mm F4-5.8 Ed
whereas they are selling the Grey Market version of DA-L 55-300 for $240, here: Pentax SMC P-DAL 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Lens 21897

Why would you get the used one when you can get a "new" DA-L model for $80 less? And the Grey Market version comes with a 1 year Adorama warranty, whereas the used version is only 90 days.

Very strange...
IF what the B&H Rep said is in fact true and provable then I think someone might argue that they are in violation of US Law and are engaged in price fixing.

04-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

It may not be price fixing because Pentax is not colluding with its competitors to set a certain price for consumers. Instead, Pentax is requiring its authorized dealers to sell its products at a certain price and not offer any significant discounts from the MSRP. See this explanation of U.S. antitrust law, Price Fixing, Bid Rigging and Market Allocation Schemes, where they say: "Price fixing is an agreement among competitors to raise, fix, or otherwise maintain the price at which their goods or services are sold."

(Full disclosure-- I'm a lawyer, although not an antitrust one, so I might still be wrong about this.)
04-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From the email Adorama sent me today... :

"Hi,
We can offer the lens in the link below at $349.99.
Pentax SMC P-DA 55mm-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED AF Lens with Hood #21720 21720

Thank you for shopping with us we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
..."

So no it's not the DA-L version.

Maybe B&H and Adorama get together and set the prices and Amazon catches up by copying them. E.g. Pentax K-X is still $999 on Amazon yet $1099 on both B&H and Adorama

Who knows maybe Adorama just has an excess of them and wants to offload some at still make a small profit. I see no problem with stores haggling with customers. How is it fair that Pentax be able to FORCE a supplier to sell for a minimum price? THey might need to offload if they get too much supply.. supply and demand determines price..

Last edited by geekette; 04-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.
04-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I guess Adorama is going to be pissed at me now, oh well. Maybe I shouldn't of posted I was going to get a deal. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the correct one so I asked here.
04-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Hmm, maybe you are right. Amazon is still selling some da 70s for less than the MSRP even though their da15 and da40 prices are at the MSRP level. It could be that they have excess stock or something.

I will definitely have to try your tactic of asking Adorama about giving me a lower price on their lenses. Would sure be nice t get a big discount like that. If you can buy the da 55-300 from them for 350 and you want it brand new with full manufacturer's warranty, I say you should get it-- you won't find a better deal out there right now. Still, if you can buy used and be patient, you might snag one off the PF marketplace for less than $300-- which is what I did today!!

04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I guess it doesn't matter anymore to Geekette because she's decided to leave us for Nikon... but I wrote to a sales rep at Adorama today whom I did business with before and asked him about the discount on the DA 55-300 lens; he also offered me a $349.99 price. So, if anyone is looking for a brand-new, metal-mount DA 55-300 from Adorama, don't buy it online but call the sales dept and ask for this lower price. I tried to also ask if he could give me a discount on a Tamron 10-24 wide angle lens, but he said that he couldn't but offered me free shipping (which, for some reason isn't advertised online as available for the Pentax version but is offered for the Nikon, Canon, and Sony versions). So my point is, it pays to inquire with a human being to see if you can get any discounts or haggle about shipping, etc, rather than just placing the order directly with the website-- you never know when you might save yourself a few bucks here or there!
04-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I guess it doesn't matter anymore to Geekette because she's decided to leave us for Nikon... but
I don't want to leave you guys! I'll never find a community as good & friendly as this one I know. But I am just *REALLY* mad at Pentax right now. Maybe I just need a break. Maybe I'll just shoot with my k-x still and the glass I already have alogn with my manual focus manual aperture push pull heavy zoom.
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Yes, we don't want you to go either... Like others here, I have recently been tempted with the idea of switching to Nikon but I got a chance to handle the D7000 and D5100 at a camera store the other day and just didn't enjoy the feel of it at all. For now and for the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with Pentax!
04-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I felt the d7000 and d5100 at best buy too.. the k-x feels more ergonomic.
04-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Yeah I felt the d7000 and d5100 at best buy too.. the k-x feels more ergonomic.
The K-x is a superb camera. It's what I use, and I never felt the need to upgrade--especially since I prefer lightweight equipment. Do you really need the K-5? You might take advantage of Adorama's offer and get the 55-300. If you later decide to switch to another brand, you can sell the lens for at least the same price.

I've been tempted to jump to Nikon a few times. The last time, recently, right after the announcement of the price increase. But every time I look at pics taken with Nikon and Canon cameras (on pixelpeeper.com) and compare them with Pentax images, it seems to me that the latter simply look better. Also, I carefully examined my options. Nikon is appealing (better sensors than Canon), but... the D5100 doesn't have a motor, the D7000 seems bulky, and, more importantly, those lenses that can actually be compared to Pentax's ltd. line are heavy and still cost more than Pentax overall...

Personally, I don't feel the urge to buy lots of other lenses. Most of my lenses are MF, anyway. (I love my 28/35/55 Taks and my Samyang 14mm, to which I plan to add a Samyang 85mm 1.4.) I'm happy with what I have, although I'd need a decent normal range zoom, for events. (I'll get either the Tamron 17-50 or the Sigma 18-50/ 2.8-4.5, with silent HSM, which costs only $200.) There are good solutions for very good IQ, for cheap.

And I understand that Pentax needs exposure. It cannot continue to serve a narrow base of Pentax fans with LBA who have to get all ltd's and DA*'s. Pentax needs to open up its customer base. It needs to sell many more cameras; it needs to produce cheap plastic primes (like Canikon) and attract many more people into the game. I understand the general reasons behind the recent price hikes. However, to be honest, I am worried the strategy might backfire--but perhaps not taking any risks is even riskier. I hope Pentax will become stronger and that the unknown details of Ricoh's plan are sound. The risks Pentax assumes translate into risks for consumers such as you and I. Considering my personal risks and the alternatives, I decided to stay with Pentax. In part, because I think they still offer excellent quality for the money (with the exception of a number of lenses, such as the DA 16-50), also, because I believe prices will come down one way or another, and, finally, because the idea of making the Pentax name known makes sense.

Last edited by causey; 04-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.
04-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The K-x is a superb camera. It's what I use, and I never felt the need to upgrade--especially since I prefer lightweight equipment. Do you really need the K-5? You might take advantage of Adorama's offer and get the 55-300. If you later decide to switch to another brand, you can sell the lens for at least the same price.

I've been tempted to jump to Nikon a few times. The last time, recently, right after the announcement of the price increase. But every time I look at pics taken with Nikon and Canon cameras (on pixelpeeper.com) and compare them with photos taken with Pentax, it seems to me that Pentax look better. Also, I carefully examined my options. Nikon is appealing (better sensors than Canon), but... the D5100 doesn't have a motor, the D7000 seems bulky, and, more importantly, those lenses that can actually be compared with Pentax's ltd. line are heavy and still cost more than Pentax overall...

Personally, I don't need more lenses. Most of my lenses are MF, anyway. (I love my 28/35/55 Taks and my Samyang 14mm, to which I plan to add a Samyang 85mm 1.4.) I'm happy with what I have, although I'd need a decent normal range zoom, for events. (I'll get either the Tamron 17-50 or the Sigma 18-50/ 2.8-4.5, with silent HSM, which costs only $200.) There are good solutions for very good IQ, for cheap.

And I understand that Pentax needs exposure. It cannot continue to serve a narrow base of Pentax fans with LBA who "need" to get all ltd's and DA*'s. Pentax needs to open up its customer base. It needs to sell many more cameras; it needs to produce cheap plastic primes (like Canikon) and attract many more people into the game. I understand the general reasons behind the recent price hikes. However, to be honest, I am worried the strategy might backfire--but perhaps not taking any risks is even riskier. I hope Pentax will become stronger and that the unknown details of Ricoh's plan are sound. The risks Pentax assumes translate into risks for consumers such as you and I. Considering my personal risks and the alternatives, I decided to stay with Pentax. In part, because I think they still offer excellent quality for the money (with the exception of a number of lenses, such as the DA 16-50), also, because I believe prices will come down one way or another, and, finally, because the idea of making the Pentax name known makes sense.
I just got an 85/1.4 and its a bit of a shock how tough it is to focus but the more I use it the more I both like it and find it fascinating to use. The only downside that I do not believe will change as I use it more is that its REALLY heavy.
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I just got an 85/1.4 and its a bit of a shock how tough it is to focus but the more I use it the more I both like it and find it fascinating to use. The only downside that I do not believe will change as I use it more is that its REALLY heavy.
Have u tried to use the catch-in-focus feature? It turns the Samyang into a pseudo-AF lens.
See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/146443-manual-f...we-afraid.html