Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Dude, I've confused him enough! :P

04-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
thankz for all the responses and when taking into account the FA ltd i heard the new ones made in Vietnam does not have the pixie dust. i do have a FA 43 and its from Vietnam but don't know whether it has pixie dust or not because i haven't taken pics with a made in japan one .

here is one taken with the FA 43 in very low light. jpg with no PP
Don't worry, I don't get the pixie dust thing either. I think it's just stuff old Pentaxian made up to make themselves feel special. What FA limited does have is natural/analog rendering (DA has a more "digital" rendering), smooth transition from in- to out-focus region and excellent micro contrast.

Does anyone see "pixie dust" ??

Last edited by chesebert; 04-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
True pixie dust is only seen in Disney movies.
I live in Florida and can assure you that the Disney Pixie Dust is real.
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Does anyone see "pixie dust" ??
Not in those photos, no...

04-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Not in those photos, no...
For sure, there is pixie dust this time

04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Yep, there it is.
04-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yep, there it is.
for some reason for many good photos of cute kids have pixie dust

{Not me i'm the grouchy old coot chasing kids off his lawn - or would be if I had a Lawn :]
04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #53
Veteran Member

thankz for all the responses and when taking into account the FA ltd i heard the new ones made in Vietnam does not have the pixie dust.
That's just people being biased or, to use a stronger term, racist. Exactly like how some acted towards "cheap" Japanese glass back in the day. It could never be as good as German, no sir!

04-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Don't worry, I don't get the pixie dust thing either. I think it's just stuff old Pentaxian made up to make themselves feel special.
I would have thought this way but for two reasons. First, I can see it. Some lenses give you the special effect at times (certainly not always). Others don't give it at all.

Second, it is not in fact magical (though it's fun to talk that way) but was designed into the lenses by Jun Hirakawa. If you look up his white paper it is explained in part. (I have done so and repeated this in several threads but I don't have the time to do so again.)

It seems to me that certain Zeiss lenses exhibit the same 3D effect. Perhaps they followed the same optical design approach. I don't know.
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I would have thought this way but for two reasons. First, I can see it. Some lenses give you the special effect at times (certainly not always). Others don't give it at all.

Second, it is not in fact magical (though it's fun to talk that way) but was designed into the lenses by Jun Hirakawa. If you look up his white paper it is explained in part. (I have done so and repeated this in several threads but I don't have the time to do so again.)

It seems to me that certain Zeiss lenses exhibit the same 3D effect. Perhaps they followed the same optical design approach. I don't know.

The articles of which you write I think is linked herein. My libraries don't have access to this journal or I would get a copy of it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/64646-77mm-43m...blication.html

Edit: Here is a partial translation of one of the articles located on a blog spot.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T0PSyY6qiDw/SqEyDRHKO4I/AAAAAAAAAak/cMe5QkigsE8/s1600-h/3.jpg

Last edited by Blue; 04-19-2012 at 08:11 PM.
04-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Other than SP used on some lenses to repel dust and resist smudges and the Aero Bright Coating used on the DA* 55/1.4, DA* 60-250mm/4, and D645 24/4 there hasn't been anything from Pentax. The Ltd lenses all got the Ghostless Coatings on the rear element. The DA 35/2.4 AL also has Ghostless Coating.

Not much can be found out about the Aero Bright Coating. It is considered to be nanotechnology by Pentax.
I thought that the SMC formula has been updated repeatedly over the past few years, that is certainly the assertion made in many a post in these fora. Hasn't Pentax been very quiet when asked that question?
04-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I thought that the SMC formula has been updated repeatedly over the past few years, that is certainly the assertion made in many a post in these fora. Hasn't Pentax been very quiet when asked that question?
It has, some but not as much as you may think. However, it is unclear if it has been since the late 90s (very early 43 ltd compared to later). Pentax developed additional coatings to push the performance envelop. The Ghostless Coating is used on some lenses including all the LTD series. It was developed in the 90s. The SP (Super Protect) was developed in the past decade to protect the surfaces. The newest additional coating is the Aero Bright (nano tech). They renew the patents on these things by doing "improvements" on the formulae periodically. Pentax's (Asahi Optical) most rapid improvements of the SMC came from the mid-60s into the 70s. The are close to the vest on this stuff going all the was back to their coatings in the 50s. Any thing beyond this is speculation.

Edit: I have had a thread going for a long time to serve as a repository for information for facts regarding Pentax coatings, not mere speculation. It has been very slow going.

Last edited by Blue; 04-19-2012 at 08:11 PM.
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It has, some but not as much as you may think. However, it is unclear if it has been since the late 90s (very early 43 ltd compared to later). Pentax developed additional coatings to push the performance envelop. The Ghostless Coating is used on some lenses including all the LTD series. It was developed in the 90s. The SP (Super Protect) was developed in the past decade to protect the surfaces. The newest additional coating is the Aero Bright (nano tech). They renew the patents on these things by doing "improvements" on the formulae periodically. Pentax's (Asahi Optical) most rapid improvements of the SMC came from the mid-60s into the 70s. The are close to the vest on this stuff going all the was back to their coatings in the 50s. Any thing beyond this is speculation.

Edit: I have had a thread going for a long time to serve as a repository for information for facts regarding Pentax coatings, not mere speculation. It has been very slow going.
Thanks, got a link?
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, got a link?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/104892-pentax-...ro-bright.html
04-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #60
Veteran Member

i heard the new ones made in Vietnam does not have the pixie dust.
Both my FA43 and my FA77 were assembled in Vietnam, and they're both brilliant.