Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Canon135L f2 on a Canon 5D MKII is absolutely sublime when shooting wide open, and at smaller apertures it is razor sharp.

04-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
The Canon135L f2 on a Canon 5D MKII is absolutely sublime when shooting wide open, and at smaller apertures it is razor sharp.
True, for sure. I once briefly considered buying a Canon body just to shoot with that lens. In the end, though, it didn't make much sense for me.
04-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The articles of which you write I think is linked herein. My libraries don't have access to this journal or I would get a copy of it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/64646-77mm-43m...blication.html

Edit: Here is a partial translation of one of the articles located on a blog spot.

3.jpg (image)
Thanks Blue. Here is a Flickr set with the remaining pages.

Some of the text is as informative as it is whimsical. Consider:

"[W]ithout giving priority to resolving power, MTF values and other numerical evaluations, they attain a level of correction in actual photo capture that remains in your mind."

This article makes plain the optical design goals, which I find to be admirable, and which certainly resulted in something special. I have in the past used this information to define "pixie dust" as the following: Fully correcting the astigmatic difference in both meridional and sagittal subject planes, while allowing small amounts of field curvature to remain.

This means that sharpness is not as absolutely perfect as is possible. It also means that field curvature is a given, hence the decline in sharpness at wide apertures towards the periphery of the image. However what this gains is "a gentle transition from the solid subject to the out of focus portion" of the image. This reflects the priority given to rendering real-world dimensional objects and not the idealised focus plane.

This is what can be achieved by a designer who looks beyond mere numerical measurements into areas which are important despite being qualitative rather than quantitative. Certainly Jun Hirakawa did not achieve this with every lens he designed, but he might well have been constrained by different design priorities and budgets.

Last edited by rparmar; 04-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I wonder if Ricoh has managed to rehire Jun? that would be really nice to hear

Last edited by eddie1960; 04-20-2012 at 10:44 AM.
04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I sure hope Hoya didn't!
04-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I sure hope Hoya didn't!
LOL I meant Ricoh of course, I'm a little slow today :

Corrected it
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I wonder if Ricoh has managed to rehire Jun? that would be really nice to hear
I think he has a profile on Linkedl.

04-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I never use linkedin

I guess i could log into the profile i have and look though
04-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #69
Veteran Member

There are two Jun Hirakawa's on Linkedin and one is an artist and Director at edition nord while the other is a Director at Nikkei Europe Ltd. and does web news management. Could not find another but will look using some variants of the name.
04-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are two Jun Hirakawa's on Linkedin and one is an artist and Director at edition nord while the other is a Director at Nikkei Europe Ltd. and does web news management. Could not find another but will look using some variants of the name.
I think in Japan, his name would be Hirakawa Jun. He is about 50 years old.
04-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I think in Japan, his name would be Hirakawa Jun. He is about 50 years old.
Tried that, no joy. Perhaps we have the spelling wrong, I'll check Wikipedia as it had a long entry on him as I recall.
04-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I don't remember any Wikipedia article and cannot find one now. However, I do have a link for his patents:

Jun Hirakawa Patents

17 is not a lot, BTW. Yoshihisa Maitani of Olympus had over 50, but then again he worked on bodies too (PEN F notably).
04-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #73
Veteran Member

when i try finding a japanese one i find a younger guy with a blog (maybe a son, looks the right age for the son of a 50 year old guy)
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I don't remember any Wikipedia article and cannot find one now. However, I do have a link for his patents:

Jun Hirakawa Patents

17 is not a lot, BTW. Yoshihisa Maitani of Olympus had over 50, but then again he worked on bodies too (PEN F notably).

What I don't get is: what did he do after he left Pentax, did he 'retire', become a consultant, what? Did he get great golden parachute from Pentax? He must have been about 40-ish when he left Pentax, very young to retire...

He's almost like a Bobby Fischer, leaving the scene at the peak of his game, mysteriously disappearing, leaving only a legend behind... (Except without the crazy.)

04-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What I don't get is: what did he do after he left Pentax, did he 'retire', become a consultant, what? Did he get great golden parachute from Pentax? He must have been about 40-ish when he left Pentax, very young to retire...

He's almost like a Bobby Fischer, leaving the scene at the peak of his game, mysteriously disappearing, leaving only a legend behind... (Except without the crazy.)

he left Pentax in 2010 so 48 years old or so (born in 62)