Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Whereas Nikon and others...
Actually, all Nikon Ai and Ai-s manual focus lenses work just fine on Nikon full-frame dSLRs--arguably a whole lot better than Pentax manual lenses do on Pentax dSLRs, in fact, since the mount isn't crippled.

04-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Actually, all Nikon Ai and Ai-s manual focus lenses work just fine on Nikon full-frame dSLRs--arguably a whole lot better than Pentax manual lenses do on Pentax dSLRs, in fact, since the mount isn't crippled.
Also the added fact of bigger better viewfinders too.
04-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

And a superior focus confirmation system.
04-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The manual lenses are crippled and never were. The biggest difference in the K & M was the inception of the A contacts. The Nikon mount went through evolution to with the pre AI, Ai, Ai-s. His point was that Nikon's entry level bodies can't handle them unlike the K200d, K-m, K-x, and K-r or even the K-01. I don't think the D700 can be considered an entry level dSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Also the added fact of bigger better viewfinders too.
Which has to do with the fact it is full frame.

Hysterical

However, it is unknown if future if any so-called DA lenses will work on a full-frame platform. Who knows how far along these 2 lenses are in the development scheme. So, unfortunately, the FF is just speculation like it has been for the past 11 years.

04-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Alternatively it would make sense if it was a misprint and what they mean is 12-35mm or so and a replacement for the DA 12-24mm (with, one hopes, weathersealing and a lens motor). But who knows ...
At the end of 2010 a lens like that was mentioned (and a reference to a patent) : Pentax patent of DA12-35mm F3.5-4.5 AL WR SDM??????????So-net???
04-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would guess that the limited zoom would be small, metal build, with a fairly small zoom range. Not sure how small you could make it if the max aperture was f2.8 though.

I can't imagine the DA * zoom is a replacement for the 16-50, since a 15-85 lens won't have a max aperture of f2.8. More likely f4. Sort of a DA 17-70 with weather sealing and a little wider range (and hopefully a different in lens motor?). It would still leave a need for a reboot on the 16-50 f2.8, hopefully with some improved optics.
04-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The manual lenses are crippled and never were. The biggest difference in the K & M was the inception of the A contacts. The Nikon mount went through evolution to with the pre AI, Ai, Ai-s. His point was that Nikon's entry level bodies can't handle them unlike the K200d, K-m, K-x, and K-r or even the K-01. I don't think the D700 can be considered an entry level dSLR.
I didn't see him mention entry-level anywhere in the post I quoted, but I'll defer to your wisdom on this one.
04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I didn't see him mention entry-level anywhere in the post I quoted, but I'll defer to your wisdom on this one.
MF lenses work on the Pentax bodies regardless of the level. That is not the case with Nikon. It isn't about wisdom, its about the Nikon counterpart to the K-x & K-r. That has been true for Nikon even prior to then. It is just something to be aware of if someone wants to use vintage glass that a lesser Nikon may not be the way to go.

04-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
MF lenses work on the Pentax bodies regardless of the level. That is not the case with Nikon. It isn't about wisdom, its about the Nikon counterpart to the K-x & K-r. That has been true for Nikon even prior to then. It is just something to be aware of if someone wants to use vintage glass that a lesser Nikon may not be the way to go.
Yes, that's definitely the case.

I was simply pointing out that Nikon does allow backward compatibility with a large portion of their legacy lens lineup, provided you have the right body.

Note that you don't need a FF dSLR to get it, either. The D200 (cheap), D300 (~$600ish used), D300s, and D7000 are compatible, among others.

Pentax definitely has an edge in that even their cheapest bodies can meter with manual lenses, but the lack of aperture coupling is very frustrating. (Green button functionality mitigates it, but Nikon's implementation is a lot more elegant.)
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I don't see the FF coming out soon, so Pentax has plenty of time to change the roadmap and make a new lens line. Probably call it HD DFA