Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Am I the only one in the world that has this Cosina lens?

Hi guys,

Just got my Pentax LX camera in fantastic condition and already cant wait to start shooting. Also, there was the lens included with this camera- Cosina MC Macro 70- 210mm f.4
To my surprise i cannot find any info related to this lens. There are plenty reviews on f.4.5- 5.6 ones but not on my f.4.
In fact going trough Cosina history of lens, no mentioning of this one as well. Sounds to me like a mystery.
Any advice on where to look would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Saulius

04-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saulius Quote
Hi guys,

Just got my Pentax LX camera in fantastic condition and already cant wait to start shooting. Also, there was the lens included with this camera- Cosina MC Macro 70- 210mm f.4
To my surprise i cannot find any info related to this lens. There are plenty reviews on f.4.5- 5.6 ones but not on my f.4.
In fact going trough Cosina history of lens, no mentioning of this one as well. Sounds to me like a mystery.

Thanks,
Saulius
I've searched a bit for you but the only close call Ihad was F2.8-4.0 ... maybe not what you are looking for?
Found this:
Cosina 70-210mm F 2.8-4 MC MACRO AF [Topic général] : Autres objectifs

Hoping this will help a bit ??

JP

P.S.: I did search again but to no avail ... just like you ! So, definitely sure this is a strictly F4 lens ... ? just asking because my head is spinning!
04-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you JP for your effort, but this is not the same. On top of that, my lens is MF.

Have a good evening,
Saulius
04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I've searched a bit for you but the only close call Ihad was F2.8-4.0 ... maybe not what you are looking for?
Found this:
Cosina 70-210mm F 2.8-4 MC MACRO AF [Topic général] : Autres objectifs

Hoping this will help a bit ??

JP

P.S.: I did search again but to no avail ... just like you ! So, definitely sure this is a strictly F4 lens ... ? just asking because my head is spinning!

I know how you feel- i can even find the image on Google similar to my lens.
Also, f2.8- 4.0 and f.4.5- 5.6 looks differently from what i have

04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You could try the guys over at MFLenses forum I browse there once and awhile, ppl seem to have knowledge of many obscure lenses
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Saulius
Maybe it's a rebranded Vivitar Macro 70- 210mm f.3.5 that was made cheaper by losing one stop? I know Cosina manufactured Vivitar lenses. This could be a later-introduced version that was intended to be cheaper, or they intentionally made it slower to avoid competition with their contractor.
04-17-2012, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
A bit of a side note...

It was to my understanding that Ritz Camera once had the second largest contract ever with Cosina - that they (Cosina) have been making a majority of the labeled Quantaray lens' since the late 70's/early 80's - perhaps up to present day. They also made the labeled Quantaray camera bodies such as the (eerrr) D2RZ - almost like a Pentax K1000 but with three diodes instead of match needle metering - it was an incredibly durable camera. There was also another Quantaray RZ-800 body which had an upper panel (where the shutter speed dial would normally be - except on an Olympus) with push buttons - a type of expansion upon the Pentax ME Super.

Ironically these cameras were incredibly reliable and had an above average build quality. They were also great student cameras.
04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Maybe it's a rebranded Vivitar Macro 70- 210mm f.3.5 that was made cheaper by losing one stop? I know Cosina manufactured Vivitar lenses. This could be a later-introduced version that was intended to be cheaper, or they intentionally made it slower to avoid competition with their contractor.

Thank you so much, hcarvalhoalves, you made my day. I would never thought to go that direction. My lens looks exactly like Vivitar Macro 70- 210mm f.3.5.
One thing that still bugging me is that I can't find any info on f4 version. Although thanks to you eventually i will get there

04-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
You could try the guys over at MFLenses forum I browse there once and awhile, ppl seem to have knowledge of many obscure lenses

Thank you Deimos, this is will be my next step.
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you so much, hcarvalhoalves, you made my day. I would never thought to go that direction. My lens looks exactly like Vivitar Macro 70- 210mm f.3.5.
One thing that still bugging me is that I can't find any info on f4 version. Although thanks to you eventually i will get there
I know this kind of stuff because I dwell in the flea market here and find a bunch of weird lenses with no reference on Google because all the second-hand / soviet stuff went to Brazil. Those are often rebranded versions for known designs, and more often than not are made cheaper by featuring smaller max apertures, or worse / no coatings.
05-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Saulius
hi..i have the same lens with you..cosina 70-210mm f4..i really love the lens..sharp(not razor sharp)..it kind a cheap but good lens..you can check my pictures with that lens..Flickr: deanno2012's Photostream