Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Adaptall 2 lenses - worth keeping a PKA adapter?

I recently acquired an Adaptall PKA adapter as part of a larger kit. It also came with a 58A 70-210/4-5.6 lens. It is amazing how much smaller and lighter this lens is compared to my SMC-A 70-210/4. I'm hoping to get the time to compare the two, although it isn't a focal range I use often at the moment. First I have to fix the adapter using the handy dandy instructions I know are posted on this site.

I'm debating whether to keep the adapter or not, as I know they are are to find. But before I rush off to sell it, I'm wondering if there are any interesting or top-notch adaptall lenses I should look into. The 90 and 180 (macro) primes look good, but they aren't that cheap and I might do just as well with an AF macro or Pentax macro instead.

I know I can trawl the lens database, but for most of the listed lenses there aren't more than 1 or 2 reviews, and so there is no solid basis for comparing one lens to the next because the reviews are quite subjective. So I'm throwing it to the group - any lenses I should hunt for, or should I just give a pass to the adaptall system as right now I don't have any other camera bodies, and aside from buying a K200/K20/K-x as a backup/teaching camera, I wasn't planning on buying one.

Thanks,
Marc

ps. if it helps, I have lenses that cover 28, 50, 55, 18-55, 35-105, 70-210, but I wouldn't let this affect the suggestions you make

04-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might help to know more. What is your budget like? What kinds of lenses do you like? What do you tend to shoot?

For example, I owned the 90mm MF macro (with the adapter for 1/1) for years. Loved the lens. It was light, well built, inexpensive, and had great IQ. It allowed me some fine macro work, but I grew to want more distance from my subjects and now have a Sigma 180mm AF macro. I also tried the 300mm f2.8 but didn't like the copy I had, and it turned out not to be enough reach (I once owned Bigma).
04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I recently acquired an Adaptall PKA adapter as part of a larger kit. It also came with a 58A 70-210/4-5.6 lens. It is amazing how much smaller and lighter this lens is compared to my SMC-A 70-210/4. I'm hoping to get the time to compare the two, although it isn't a focal range I use often at the moment. First I have to fix the adapter using the handy dandy instructions I know are posted on this site.

I'm debating whether to keep the adapter or not, as I know they are are to find. But before I rush off to sell it, I'm wondering if there are any interesting or top-notch adaptall lenses I should look into. The 90 and 180 (macro) primes look good, but they aren't that cheap and I might do just as well with an AF macro or Pentax macro instead.

I know I can trawl the lens database, but for most of the listed lenses there aren't more than 1 or 2 reviews, and so there is no solid basis for comparing one lens to the next because the reviews are quite subjective. So I'm throwing it to the group - any lenses I should hunt for, or should I just give a pass to the adaptall system as right now I don't have any other camera bodies, and aside from buying a K200/K20/K-x as a backup/teaching camera, I wasn't planning on buying one.

Thanks,
Marc

ps. if it helps, I have lenses that cover 28, 50, 55, 18-55, 35-105, 70-210, but I wouldn't let this affect the suggestions you make

If you are going to use adapall-2 and SP, then the PKA is worth having because it will allow A type operation. As far as the SP 180/2.5, it is one of my favorite lenses and I have a PK/A on it. However, there were only 3000 of them ever made spread out among users all platforms. They do come up a few times a year.
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
It might help to know more. What is your budget like? What kinds of lenses do you like? What do you tend to shoot?

For example, I owned the 90mm MF macro (with the adapter for 1/1) for years. Loved the lens. It was light, well built, inexpensive, and had great IQ. It allowed me some fine macro work, but I grew to want more distance from my subjects and now have a Sigma 180mm AF macro. I also tried the 300mm f2.8 but didn't like the copy I had, and it turned out not to be enough reach (I once owned Bigma).
One reason that I kept this vague is because I'm wide open to suggestions. I started with the 18-55 WR lens, and this was back in January. Since then I've bought a bunch more, and mostly manual focus. The vast majority of the photos I've taken the past few days have been with extension tubes and green button metering. So I run from fully manual to almost fully auto (I'll operate in Av or TAv modes when using AF lenses most of the time). The only common theme I have is that the lenses have been cheap - typically under $100, and as low as $10-25 at times.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you are going to use adapall-2 and SP, then the PKA is worth having because it will allow A type operation. As far as the SP 180/2.5, it is one of my favorite lenses and I have a PK/A on it. However, there were only 3000 of them ever made spread out among users all platforms. They do come up a few times a year.
Good to know how few of these lenses there are. I missed buying a either a 90 or 180 / 2.8 (pretty sure it was a 90 if I recall right), which I believe does 1:1 macro rather than the 1:2 of the 90/2.5, but I've since read that this occurs because of some unusual internal optics. But it is this sort of insider information on the more desirable lenses I'm looking for before I decide whether to spend time looking for adaptall lenses or not.

04-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A) is probably the next best thing to the DA 55-300. I have seen several sell for around $40 without a mount. There are several other adaptall lenses that are recommended regularly in the Adaptall Club thread.
04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Read the Lens Club > Adaptall forum for some insight into the pleasures an tribulations of the Adaptall lenses. Some definitive reviews in the Review section too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59769-adaptall-mount-club-tamron.html

If you can stand not having auto-focus (or AF complaints!) you'll find some excellent, and affordable, lenses in the Adaptall-2 SP line.

They're not for everyone, especially the rapid-fire folks, but it's hard to find optically equivalent, modern lenses for 3-4 times the cost. A PK/A adapter is not absolutely necessary if you're comfortable with manual modes, but definitely a convenience.

If you enjoy photography for the pleasure of the gear as well as excellent results and a personal challenge you'll enjoy the Adaptall lenses but they do require attention to detail.

H2
04-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I will second the SP 60-300(23A). For the prices it can be bought for, $40-60US, it is a ridiculous bargain.
Wonderfully sharp, nice colors and rendering and a melty bokeh. I've noticed no difference in sharpness between 60mm and 300mm. F8 on gives the best edge to edge crispness. I kept this on my camera for three months this winter and I bet it would have been fun with the PKA mount. I really enjoyed the versatility in range and the macro function which does 1:1.55, although you're getting quite close to things with the front element at that point. I set the SR to 300mm and never changed it and it worked fine. Keeping the shutter speed at least 1/320s gave me good results handheld. It is a good chunk of lens to carry around all the time, though.
All in all, one of my favorites. Hope that helps you. The 90mm macro is also supposed to be a gem. The https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59769-adaptall-mount-club-tamron.html I think would offer up more examples, replies.
Bruce
04-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The 70-210 f/3.5 constant aperture is pretty good, too. But the 90/2.5 macro is the best of the adaptall lenses I have used.

04-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Tamron Adaptall 135/2.5

My personal suggestion would be the 135/2.5 lens (03B). People often overlook this lens, because it seems there's nothing really special about it. But I think it has many advantages over similar lenses from other makers:

- It's fast for a 135mm. F/2.5 is only 1/3 stop faster than F/2.8, but it's enough to make the image appear brighter in the finder. And it also allows better background blurring.

- It's reasonably compact and light for a fast telephoto (less bulky than the Pentax 135/2.5). No problem to carry it all day long in a small pouch, just in case...

- Thanks to the use of a high refractive index glass element, it delivers remarkable image quality, right from wide open, with good sharpness and extremely low radial chromatic aberration. There's a bit of longitudinal chromatic aberration, but it's always the case with fast non-apo telephotos.

- It has a very handy built-in retractable lenshood.

- Its bokeh is creamy soft, with no trace of bright rings.

- It focuses relatively close for a 135mm prime lens (1.2m), offering a magnification of 1:7 without any accessory.

- It is well built, and the focusing action is remarquably smooth.

- Last but not least, since it's a little known lens, it can be bought for a song!

I like to carry mine when I need a fast telephoto but don't want to lug around a 70-210/2.8 brick. It's remarkably versatile and I warmly recommend it.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have 2 PKA adaptors but 3 lenses, not that I want another adaptor, as I use one lens with an M42 mount, but there are some fine Tamron lenses out there and to get caught without an adaptor is a PITA. My latest lens is the 200-500/5.6 which came with a PKA plus 2 Nikon adaptors. It would not have changed my decision to purchase the lens without having a PKA adaptor for it, but I would not have wanted to waste time searching for one if I didn't have it. You never know when you will find a rare lens , and you need to be ready to get it when you do find it. That's my $0.02