Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have the 31ltd and I just received the 77ltd 9.5 minutes ago!!! I love my 31 and it stays on my camera 70% of the time. Testing the 77ltd out it is very much a head shot kinda lens and probably great for outdoors/ street. It will probably work best away from the subject.
If you can afford the extra money for the 31, that would be my suggestion,( altough I have never had the pleasure of using the 43 so I can't speak for that one ) I really like the 31 for any application, Kids, outdoors, indoors, landscape etc. I find that instead of changing the lens to a different focal lenght I move around more myself to get a better angel/picture.
I found 43mm to be a little bit to close while testing different focal lengths out, (although it is almost 1/2 price so that in it self is a reason to get the 43...)

04-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I consider the FA43 as a replacement to the OP's zoom to use as a walkaround
Funny, for me it's the FA31Ltd that roughly covers 24-60 I personally think that the FA43Ltd is a tad at the long side for that.
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Go to Amazon, B&H, Adorama, and/or... Get the best price on the Pentax 10-17, 21 and 43 (or 40), then buy them, now. Paired to your K-5, plus your Tammy zoom, you are set for life. Prices are NOT going down, or if they do, not by much. It's time, or money. You and your loved ones only have so much time and you can always make more money. Quit fussing around. Grab-um now and run... Don't look back!

... my 2 cents... Cheers...
Awesome. Researching on these right now. Also need to add a macro 100 mm or so.

Sorry OP. Didn't mean to hijack
04-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Funny, for me it's the FA31Ltd that roughly covers 24-60 I personally think that the FA43Ltd is a tad at the long side for that.
I was only comparing the 43/77. The 31 could also be used as a general walkaround but for most 70+mm would be difficult. It took a little getting used to but I like my fast fifty better as a walkaround vs my 24/28's.

04-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Go to Amazon, B&H, Adorama, and/or... Get the best price on the Pentax 10-17, 21 and 43 (or 40), then buy them, now. Paired to your K-5, plus your Tammy zoom, you are set for life. Prices are NOT going down, or if they do, not by much. It's time, or money. You and your loved ones only have so much time and you can always make more money. Quit fussing around. Grab-um now and run... Don't look back!

... my 2 cents... Cheers...
I'm not the OP but took your advice and got the FA 43mm limited. My first FA ever!!

Thanks.

PS - Now if I can just figure out how to do the danged K5 owner picture in my sig, I'd be happier.
04-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I was only comparing the 43/77. The 31 could also be used as a general walkaround but for most 70+mm would be difficult.
That's why I mentioned 24-60. I have the FA31Ltd and the DFA100WR as my main setup; and sometimes feel there is a gap that could have been filled with something in the 70 range.

It took a little getting used to but I like my fast fifty better as a walkaround vs my 24/28's.
If it's limited to outdoor use, I can live with a 50. But for indoors and outdoors, I find the wider more universal.
04-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Todd Adamson has already said it all. As an added bonus, the FA43 is also smaller and lighter.
And yes, I'm the guy who bought TOUGEFC's FA43 two minutes after it hit the market

04-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #23

Original Poster
Sorry for neglecting my post yesterday, didn't think this thread would be a hot topic since I had a lot of great responses that really gave me ideas and things to think about.

Yes, the 31ltd was definitely one I first started to look at before 43 and 77 but wasn't sure how it would do if I wanted to get a closer shot (shoulders/head).
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Since you mentioned shooting friends and family indoors, you might be interested in a set of pics I shot a few hours ago, all indoors, all with the FA43:

http://www.adamsonstudios.com/clients/natasha40/index.html

Very casual, non-thoughtful shooting...most of the time one-handed because I had a plate of food in the other hand, LOL. So focus was not perfect...light was low. ISO 2000+ on these. But you can see the lens is ideal for this type of shooting. You can see, in number 17 for example, the great dimensional pop when the focus is perfect, and the brilliant bokeh (in number 52) when you focus close.
04-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Since you mentioned shooting friends and family indoors, you might be interested in a set of pics I shot a few hours ago, all indoors, all with the FA43:

Very casual, non-thoughtful shooting...most of the time one-handed because I had a plate of food in the other hand, LOL. So focus was not perfect...light was low. ISO 2000+ on these. But you can see the lens is ideal for this type of shooting. You can see, in number 17 for example, the great dimensional pop when the focus is perfect, and the brilliant bokeh (in number 52) when you focus close.
I like it. Can't wait for mine but the 77 will definitely be the next one.
04-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

These look great. Is your 43mm MIJ or AIV? Are all your photos shot with f2.8 or higher? My 43mm is not even close to yours in terms sharpness if those are shot at f2.0.
04-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #27
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 31, 43, and 77mm - they are about all I use. For a walkaround, I would definitely go with the 43mm (sometimes it is even a little too close, and I go to the 31).

Once you have it, I bet you will be saving for the others!
04-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
These look great. Is your 43mm MIJ or AIV? Are all your photos shot with f2.8 or higher? My 43mm is not even close to yours in terms sharpness if those are shot at f2.0.
Thanks. Mine's an AIV. Just picked it up a few weeks ago from B&H. I was shooting at a range of apertures, between wide open and f/4. I don't have access to the EXIF at the moment, but I'll come back later when I'm at my computer and lt you know. This thing is sharp, though, even wide open...very impressive. My ZK35 was sharper across the field wide open, but by f/2.2 I'm not seeing any notable qualitative difference.
04-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks. Mine's an AIV. Just picked it up a few weeks ago from B&H. I was shooting at a range of apertures, between wide open and f/4. I don't have access to the EXIF at the moment, but I'll come back later when I'm at my computer and lt you know. This thing is sharp, though, even wide open...very impressive. My ZK35 was sharper across the field wide open, but by f/2.2 I'm not seeing any notable qualitative difference.
I guess it was just my luck. Will be doing an exchange at B&H, as it seems. Please let us know the aperture you used on shot 17, in particular.
04-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

All of the FA Limiteds are excellent and have unique and lovely rendering qualities. Your choice amongst the three amigos should be based on preferred focal length and size of budget. That's it. Ignore all other opinions about the relative quality of the lenses. Those of us who own the FA Limiteds usually have personal favorites, but that fact should not influence your choice.

Rob