Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

What to do with my kit 18-55

So, I have this kit 18-55 AL which I got talked into buying when I picked up my K-5 (thankfully was used), used it a couple times and promptly replaced it with better glass that covers it both in primes and zooms.

Now it's sitting there gathering dust. From the look of the local listings where a number of people are trying to off-load them with ever reduced prices, it is obvious I won't be able to sell it for anything worth getting out of bed for.

So, I was thinking, whether I can do something with it that would be interesting, worthwhile, a learning experience, etc., by altering it, or maybe finding a very special niche use for it? Or maybe there is one situation it is really good for that I hadn't thought about?

At this point I am not beyond trying things that would put the lens at risk, and I've been even thinking of using it as a harsh conditions lens, except it is not WR.

Go wild with your ideas.

Argun

04-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a kit lens that's been sitting in a bag for a while too. Mine came with my Kr when I bought it. I was never really happy with it (even though I've since realized that it actually is a pretty good lens) and replaced it with a better zoom lens. For a while now I've been debating what I should do with it. The only worthwhile idea I've actually thought of is one of those "trip around the world" exhibitions that I've seen some people do with extra lenses that they have. Pretty much, the lens get mailed to a participant, who keeps it for a week or so, then it gets shipped off to someone else, and then to someone else, and then to someone else, and so on, and so on, and so on. I'm assuming it eventually makes it back to the original owner. I don't remember which thread it was, but there was one that was on here for a while. I'm sure someone can't point out the thread.

Seems like it could be a really cool experience. It would also be a nice way to show off how good a "basic" Pentax lens really is.

Could be a really cool photo challenge for the forum. "Best Photo With a Kit Lens" challenge. Maybe Adam will see this and we could get this challenge going.
04-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The kit lens adds no advantage to any of the f/2.8 zooms other than the smaller size and weather sealing, which may be useful in the wild when it's raining or dusty or treacherous. Then again if it's the latter condition, you'd risk your camera body, a significantly more valuable item...

You can get some ideas of what the kit lens can do in the Kit Lens club.
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my 18-55mm AL II plastic mount:

1. I have purchased a 52mm IR filter for infared photography. The 49mm prime aren't as flexible as zoom lens; better zoom lenses with bigger filter thread=more expensive IR filter.

2. When my DA*16-50mm was in service with CRIS, I used the kit quite a bit. Now I put that in my car's compartment for emergecy use.

3. It is quite sharp lens actually when stop down; and it can be used along the pop-up flash; so sometime I don't wanna lag the big zooms and flash gun I use it.

4. Maybe for the furture, if you are into Macro/reverse mount macro with it's 1:35 magnification?

04-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When others are using the camera i put the kit lens on with the hood and filter, and select P line mode.
Its amazing how birthday cake icing can get on a lens , isn't it?
Its a good lens but I prefer to old -M ones
04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The DA 18-55mm is the cheapest wide angle lens you have. It is an excellent lens for infrared shooting with no hot spots.

IR modded *istDL2 DA 18-55mm
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Keep it for when you sell a camera.
+1 to that, or sell it for about 50$, or lens it to your kitt/grandkid/newfhew/niece so they can learn.

04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

To expand on a couple prior posts: My original K20D kit didn't include the DA18-55; I bought that a few months later, CHEAP! By itself, it's good for daylight shooting, and for getting close. I mostly use it to hang filters and optics from:

* IR-pass and other spectrum-slicing filters
* B&W glass filters beyond the in-camera effects, such as a Red filter (which slightly boosts dynamic range)
* Yellow filter for color shooting of garish neon lights at night
* CC (color correction) filters, such as light blue-violet (cooling) filters to replicate early B&W photo emulsions
* close-up optics, especially a +1dpt which thins DOF dramatically
* wide and tele and fishy optical adapters
* reverse-stacked MF primes for macro work

So my DA18-55 is a test-bed and work-horse when I don't want to muck around with my other 234 lenses.
04-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my K-5 I upgraded to the WR version because it felt so much better in my hands. So I don't have your exact problem, but I also don't use the lens very often because it is slow. It comes out in a couple of occasions. When I need to shoot with an AF lens for taking "snapshots" like at a school event, as my only other one is a F50 which isn't wide enough. Or when I want to go below 28mm, which is my shortest MF lens at the moment, as buying something smaller isn't a priority. If I didn't have the WR version I'd still use it this way, but like @wombat2go and the birthday cake, I'd probably just care about it less.
04-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

My Km + 18-55 rarely get out anymore, unless in situations where I don't want to risk my new K5 (like snowboarding).

I do have crappy a FA 28-80 that never gets used, it has a scratch on the front element so it is fairly worthless. I thought about trying to make it into a cup or pencil holder.
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
+1 to that, or sell it for about 50$, or lens it to your kitt/grandkid/newfhew/niece so they can learn.
Must be lucky to get $50. I bought it new in December 2010 for €49 (many German shops made a sell-out because of the 18-55/II). I was very lucky to get €38 on eBay when I replaced it by the WR version a year ago. I don't think I would get that amount now.

But I was quite satisfied with the lens at that time and replaced it only because of the WR to be used as the standard lens with the K200D, which is also WR. I think with 10MP any difference is not as visible as with the 16MP of a K5, with any 6MP (K100, *istD) it is probably everything you need. Unfortunately, most owners of these cameras will already use it.

EDIT (Correction): I bought it new in December 2009 for €49

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It's quite handy as a camera body cap. And you can take pics too!

Seb.
04-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
I do have crappy a FA 28-80 that never gets used, it has a scratch on the front element so it is fairly worthless.
If you don't mind making the lens a little slower, you can fill the scratch with matte black paint.
04-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you don't mind making the lens a little slower, you can fill the scratch with matte black paint.
Really? I would have thought it would make it more noticeable. Good to know, thanks.
04-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I've never heard of that but it makes good sense -at least it'll kill flare generated by the scratch & likely will interfere less in a wave-optics sense.

Thanks for the comment.