Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Price Increase Rant

I was just about to go all and dig my roots deep into Pentax soil by buying a K-5 and DA 55-300 etc.. but I just read a recent article here that Pentax recently decided to increase the prices on their lenses.

Why are they doing this? Many of the DA's are plastic mount, have no quickshift and let's face it SLOW compared to the Nikon glass I've been reading about lately. There is no 35mm f1.8 pentax DA lens--f2.4 is the quickest and it has a plastic mount, no autofocus motor in it and they want MORE than than the Nikon 35mm 1.8g? WHY? I have been contemplating switching from K-X to the Nikon D7000 and finally decided to go with K-5 instead... then I learn I have to spend EVEN more on pentax glass.. I thought one of the reasons to go Pentax was more affordable glass?

Sigh, I am really upset now and thinking about taking a break from photography altogether.. charging insane amts of money for mostly plastic lenses.. The glass is easy for them to make--they've had the technology down for years.. and it's just sand to them now.. I don't see why it has to be so expensIVE. Do they deliberately limit supply to jack the prices up?

04-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8g is $200, has built in autofocus, metal mount and quick shift .. what does pentax have the pentax-f 50 1.7 .. the new DA they come out with I bet will not have quick shift, and will have a plastic mount .. and cost as much as the Nikon.

The 35mm 1.8g is $200 and has built in autofocus, metal mount, quick shift... the pentax 35mm f2.4 costs more, is slower, no quick shift and plastic mount ... SIGH

Why are they increasing the prices? I dont' get it.
04-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I'm sorry, but I think you need to go out and take some photos rather than worrying so much about gear prices.
To let angst about prices stop you from enjoying photography itself would be a real shame.

Why does a camera company raise the prices? Simply economics, I'd assume.
You also need to realise that for a long time the US paid cheaper prices on Pentax gear than the rest of the world. I believe it's much more even globally now.
There was also a big price rise a few years ago, I think it was mid 2009.
04-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You could have added your rant to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/181232-how-do-...-increase.html

No need to start a new one.

04-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Sorry.
04-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I understand your rant, which is why I've just ordered a new lens from Sigma instead of from Pentax. Cheaper, faster, good build quality and in a focal range I need and Pentax doesn't quite offer. Doesn't have WR, and the zoom ring goes the opposite direction of course, but these are thing I can live with for a month's pay difference for the closest equivalent.

That said, the K5 is a hell of a camera, and there are a lot of third party and old lenses available. If you were to switch brands, have a look at some of the Sony offerings. A guy I met a few weeks ago when out shooting was using a lovely FF with 1.2 lens (not sure what model either of them were as it was at a gig and we were both shooting) but I've seen some of the shots he took that night and they are gorgeous, with a fantastic DOF.

Last edited by wildweasel; 04-18-2012 at 02:48 AM.
04-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I agree. Anyways I replying now to the main lens price rant thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/181232-how-do-...-increase.html

Wish there was some way I could close this thread lol.
04-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Closed it for you

Closed Thread