Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What Adam actually said is this:

Looking at the items our members have bought at B&H so far this month, there are no DA lenses- only FA limiteds

So yes, I think you're right. Discounted FA limiteds are better than MSRP DA limiteds.
My point precisely. I did not claim to be quoting him, merely paraphrasing.

04-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #197
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I live in a city of 200K - 250K. There are three Pentax shops here, all under one ownership. A locally-owned big box style store sells cameras but not Pentax. Yet.

Another city (perhaps 2-3 times the population) about 80 miles away has two shops on the Pentax Web site. I know there are other camera dealers but I don't know how many.

With luck, the existing Pentax dealers will swing attention to our brand and other shops will sign up, as well. But they'll have to be convinced that Pentax will maintain price support and increase dealer support, customers will buy to make it worth while, and they can count on these things for the long run.

I don't see how a strike by the core of Pentax owners will help this happen. But then I haven't worked retail for years .....
This would be interesting information to compile someway. Sometimes some of the smaller, big cities have better odds at having a B & M than large ones. For example, Chattanooga may have more than Nashville and Memphis combined.
04-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What Adam actually said is this:

Looking at the items our members have bought at B&H so far this month, there are no DA lenses- only FA limiteds
He also said purchases by PF members, not all purchases. For all we know they sold 1,000 DA lenses to people that aren't PF members, or members that didn't buy through the affiliate link.
04-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
He also said purchases by PF members, not all purchases. For all we know they sold 1,000 DA lenses to people that aren't PF members, or members that didn't buy through the affiliate link.
Sample, it's a non-random sample. Combine that with the automated price gyrations that have gone on at Amazon and it's my impression that the outrageously jacked prices have severely slowed sales on those lenses.

04-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My point precisely. I did not claim to be quoting him, merely paraphrasing.
Not precisely - you described sales of the FA's as "brisk", while Adam did not use any descriptor at all, nor did he provide sales figures. So the actual data may or may not support your arguments, but we can't know because that information has not been provided. And even if Adam were to provide the data, it would only pertain to PF users who purchased thru PF. Your interpretation of Adam's statements could be kindly labelled as "spin", and perhaps less politely as "disingenuous".

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Right, we don't know. For all we know, the total sales - and lets not forget that B&H has been closed for a while for religious observation - could be 1 FA Limited, 0 DA Limited.
04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How many B&M shops do you guys have in Detroit and the area?
We have two within easy driving distance (northwestern suburbs) that I know of and there are probably more. Why do you ask?
04-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
We have two within easy driving distance (northwestern suburbs) that I know of and there are probably more. Why do you ask?
If you look a few posts up, I responded to a person in Wisconsin that it would be interesting to compile info some how on this kind of information. There has been a lot of change the past 5 years regarding B & M including chains and independents. I think the towns of 250-350,000 people are in better shape per 100,000 than the bigger areas like Atlanta.

04-19-2012, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Here are some population centers these cities are centered in areas with over 1 million people. The ones in bold may have a B&M with Pentax in them other than maybe a K-r body.

Atlanta
Miami
Nashville
Jacksonville
Tampa-Clearwater-St Pete
Memphis
Kansas City
St Louis
Denver (but don't bet on it)
Houston
Dallas
Pittsburg
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Washington, DC-Beltway
Boston
NYC
Chicago
Louisville
Cincinnati
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Phoenix
San Diego
Los Angeles-Anaheim-Long Beach-Burbank-Pasadena
San Francisco-Oakland
Sacramento
Portland
Seattle
Highlight Washington, D.C.

We have Ace Photo which carries just about everything Pentax (including the red 645D.) In fact, I just bought a new K-01 with the 40mm lens from them last month... got to hold it and try it out before I bought it (what a concept!) Their prices have always been closer to MSRP than to online, but I kind of like supporting an owner who I can talk to across the counter (who is, by the way, a Pentax fan) and I guess I'm willing to pay a little more to support what I believe in (I've never thought it to be an inexpensive hobby anyhow.) I'm sure there will be plenty of people who tell me I am an idiot for supporting such a old-fashioned way of doing business, but to each their own.

I'm not sure what this "pledge" will gain, but I hope it serves to find those who are angry what they are looking for.
04-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I live in a city of 200K - 250K. There are three Pentax shops here, all under one ownership. A locally-owned big box style store sells cameras but not Pentax. Yet.
I was born and lived in Madison for the first 21 years of my life. Didn't get into photography until after I left but I makes me smile to know that Pentax can be found there! It's a pretty awesome area to live (in my opinion.)

Best to you and thanks for sharing (and bringing up memories for me!)
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Highlight Washington, D.C.

We have Ace Photo which carries just about everything Pentax (including the red 645D.) In fact, I just bought a new K-01 with the 40mm lens from them last month... got to hold it and try it out before I bought it (what a concept!) Their prices have always been closer to MSRP than to online, but I kind of like supporting an owner who I can talk to across the counter (who is, by the way, a Pentax fan) and I guess I'm willing to pay a little more to support what I believe in (I've never thought it to be an inexpensive hobby anyhow.) I'm sure there will be plenty of people who tell me I am an idiot for supporting such a old-fashioned way of doing business, but to each their own.

I'm not sure what this "pledge" will gain, but I hope it serves to find those who are angry what they are looking for.
Thanks. I, for one, believe you have every right to spend your money as you see fit as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Interseting that somehow your B&M store has stayed in business, sold at closer to MSRP, and has a full line of Pentax gear. I genuinely wonder if this new MSRP mandate will help or hurt them?
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you look a few posts up, I responded to a person in Wisconsin that it would be interesting to compile info some how on this kind of information. There has been a lot of change the past 5 years regarding B & M including chains and independents. I think the towns of 250-350,000 people are in better shape per 100,000 than the bigger areas like Atlanta.
Here's a list of Detroit area camera stores from the online Yellow Pages: Camera Stores in Detroit, MI - AOL Local Yellow Pages

There seem to be a number of them, but many are branches of Ritz.
04-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #207
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Here's a list of Detroit area camera stores from the online Yellow Pages: Camera Stores in Detroit, MI - AOL Local Yellow Pages

There seem to be a number of them, but many are branches of Ritz.
That may be as many as we have in Florida. We had 2 Wolfs here until the 2009 Bankruptcy. I am going to start a thread with that list and try to update it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/183087-list-...ml#post1917945

Last edited by Blue; 04-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.
04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #208
Veteran Member

im on board but the thing is i couln't afford to buy a pentax lenses anyway except the da35 f/2.4 and i got it for 180 and that was to much for me to spend. We will see how much they want for the new DA 50mm it will probablly be to much also but if they want to compet with the canikon world they will price it like 100 to 150 like the cannon ef 50mm f1.8 or nikons cheaper 50 we will see
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Didn't buying stuff online is a trend?
Why go back to B&M ?
04-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #210
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That may be as many as we have in Florida. We had 2 Wolfs here until the 2009 Bankruptcy. I am going to start a thread with that list and try to update it.
The online yellow pages here in Atlanta are rather misleading. Under "camea store" most are print shops and framing places. There are a lot of Wolf Cameras still listed, like the one 3mi from me, that closed several years ago. There is KEH . From what I can tell from websites there are 3, maybe 4, that actually appear to sell SLR equipment in a city of 4 million. One sells only Leica to physicians, no kidding, and I've known about them for years but they don't count because Ned hasn't raised prices high enough......yet. None are more than small retail spaces from what I can tell (not counting KEH).

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-19-2012 at 08:50 PM.