Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #226
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Frankly, the vehemence of the Anti-American posts was quite shocking. The degree of "Pentax can not do any wrong and you are XYZ for saying they've made a pig's breakfast of the whole thing" also has shocked me. I thought Pentaxians were contrarians and not Fanboys but I was clearly mistaken with regard to far more members than I would have ever imagined.
That is what I find so interesting about the forums, observing what people from all over the world have to say, it gives one food for thought sometimes

04-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It has nothing to do with fanboyism. At least, not in my case. Pentax has done quite a lot of things wrong... (Not to mention VERY wrong.) But this isn't one of them.

And I just re-read the entire thread, but couldn't find any anti-American posts from anybody here.
There are a variety of them in the threads that led to this one and they were commented upon as being surprisingly vehement by non-Americans so I do not believe it is merely my imagination. This thread was started to separate it out as a US issue and to try to do something to influence Pentax.
04-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
That is what I find so interesting about the forums, observing what people from all over the world have to say, it gives one food for thought sometimes
Well then I have had a Banquet recently.
04-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #229
Veteran Member

This thread was started to separate it out as a US issue and to try to do something to influence Pentax.
Amazon is selling some stuff under MSRP price so i wonder if they are breaking Pentax "rules" with that, i don't think Amazon will do that so it's easier to assume that stores like B&H and Adorama are too blame for the higer prices.

04-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Amazon is selling some stuff under MSRP price so i wonder if they are breaking Pentax "rules" with that, i don't think Amazon will do that so it's easier to assume that stores like B&H and Adorama are too blame for the higer prices.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to purchase electronics or otherwise from Amazon sellers, but in the case of new Pentax lens, I have had way to many first time problems that I would be concerned. I am sure these Amazon sellers are not nearly as good with returns/exchange as BH/Adorama. Why can't Pentax make lenses that are generally clean, free of major particles inside, free from blades structure defects and with good optical alightment? Purchaing new Pentax lens is such an exhausting excercise.

I would never have considered purchasing new pentax lens but for the great customer service from BH/Adorama.
04-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #231
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I will probably go out tomorrow and buy a new Pentax lens from my local camera store just to spite some of the posters in this thread, so FU.
thanks
Unless you drive down to Detroit or NYC, it won't do any good. Some of the NYC guys are actually going to be ordering from Canada now.

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Sure, to you, its just a bigger tax deduction!
It would be for some of us, but not everyone on this board can do it legally.
04-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #232
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It depends on if it is actually Amazon, a small shop or individual. If it is Amazon, or a well known shop then it would be good. However, there are some individuals on there as well including some guys off this board.
04-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to purchase electronics or otherwise from Amazon sellers, but in the case of new Pentax lens, I have had way to many first time problems that I would be concerned. I am sure these Amazon sellers are not nearly as good with returns/exchange as BH/Adorama. Why can't Pentax make lenses that are generally clean, free of major particles inside, free from blades structure defects and with good optical alightment? Purchaing new Pentax lens is such an exhausting excercise.

I would never have considered purchasing new pentax lens but for the great customer service from BH/Adorama.
The fluctuations in Amazon's prices, those of the items Amazon itself carries and sells, appear to be the result of automated pricing by their computer analysis of stock, sales, etc. The prices drop suddenly for a few hours and then return to precisely MSRP, probably when an actual human being notices. My conclusion from this is that Amazon is not intentionally breaking the MSRP but because so much of their operation is controlled by sophisticated computer systems it happens because the items are not selling and the computer knows that lowering the price will goose sales. That also means, to me based on watching this now for a little while, that it is not B&H or Adorama that is jacking things up at all but in fact is Pentax imposing a MSRP pricing scheme under the revisions of the Sherman law that occurred subsequent to the 2007 US Supreme Court ruling related to this whole issue of price fixing.

04-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #234
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fluctuations in Amazon's prices, those of the items Amazon itself carries and sells, appear to be the result of automated pricing by their computer analysis of stock, sales, etc. The prices drop suddenly for a few hours and then return to precisely MSRP, probably when an actual human being notices. My conclusion from this is that Amazon is not intentionally breaking the MSRP but because so much of their operation is controlled by sophisticated computer systems it happens because the items are not selling and the computer knows that lowering the price will goose sales. That also means, to me based on watching this now for a little while, that it is not B&H or Adorama that is jacking things up at all but in fact is Pentax imposing a MSRP pricing scheme under the revisions of the Sherman law that occurred subsequent to the 2007 US Supreme Court ruling related to this whole issue of price fixing.
I think you misunderstood my post, I was merely trying to point out that due to the shoddy manufacturing quality of Pentax lens, I feel it's necessary to purchase from sellers with absolutely top notch return/exchange/customer service. Not that Amazon is not good, but I have never had to actually return anything to Amazon so I am a little hesitent with ordering an expensive new Pentax lens from them.

Despite the huge hassle I had to go through to get reasonably well made copies, I am very happy with the lens I have.
04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #235
Site Supporter

I have returned a Pentax lens to Amazon and got a replacement the next day. Amazon's return policy is one of the very best.

As for sellers who sell through Amazon, I was under the impression that they have to abide by Amazon's policies when it comes to returns/exchanges/etc. Is that incorrect?
04-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #236
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I think you misunderstood my post, I was merely trying to point out that due to the shoddy manufacturing quality of Pentax lens, I feel it's necessary to purchase from sellers with absolutely top notch return/exchange/customer service. Not that Amazon is not good, but I have never had to actually return anything to Amazon so I am a little hesitent with ordering an expensive new Pentax lens from them.

Despite the huge hassle I had to go through to get reasonably well made copies, I am very happy with the lens I have.
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. For what it's worth, we buy a large amount of our clinic materials through Amazon and if you are buying from Amazon itself you are very secure on the return issue. Their marketplace is a bit more of an open question.
04-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #237
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I have returned a Pentax lens to Amazon and got a replacement the next day. Amazon's return policy is one of the very best.

As for sellers who sell through Amazon, I was under the impression that they have to abide by Amazon's policies when it comes to returns/exchanges/etc. Is that incorrect?
Yes in theory but practice is sometimes a different issue. I will say that the one time I had to involve Amazon support because of a problem with a marketplace seller they simply told me to keep the item, refunded the cost including shipping, and suggested an alternative seller from their marketplace (which worked out fine except for the 2 day delay).
04-20-2012, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #238
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
rude is
Calling people BASTARDS.
Calling Ned a cockroach or no better then a cockroach.
Calling Ned "His Holiness" incessantly.

lame is
Calling people who disagree un-American and/or anti American.
04-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #239
Veteran Member

Don't forget the flagrant abuse of the Koolaid reference. I don't think anyone in this thread has a clue what it alludes to, and there's certainly nothing culty or self destructive about thinking something positive may come of this policy change, if they handle it better from here on out.
04-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #240
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Don't forget the flagrant abuse of the Koolaid reference. I don't think anyone in this thread has a clue what it alludes to, and there's certainly nothing culty or self destructive about thinking something positive may come of this policy change, if they handle it better from here on out.
Please, quit trying to be a moderator. BTW, Koolaid predated Jim Jones. It was derived from the 60's drug culture when hippies would drop acid in their Kool Aid. Ever hear of the Electric Kool-aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe?

koolaid

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Koolaid%20Drinker

QuoteQuote:
People who believe anything they are told. people who refuse to change there minds when confronted with facts.
sarcasm

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.