Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Please, quit trying to be a moderator. BTW, Koolaid predated Jim Jones. It was derived from the 60's drug culture when hippies would drop acid in their Kool Aid. Ever hear of the Electric Kool-aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe?

:koolaid:

Urban Dictionary: Koolaid Drinker

:sarcasm:
I have never held that if Pentax actually handled it well things wouldn't turn out better for us as their real customers. But in point of fact they have bungled the entire process, and most of the things they've been asked to handle in the past 2-3 years for that matter, and I have zero confidence that unless Ricoh home-office takes a direct management hand in each act from Pentax USA that anything will improve. Recall how their VP for whatever handled the interview on the K-01? That wasn't an outsourcing issue as is the chief excuse that gets recited like a mantra from many here for Pentax USA's woes, that was a senior executive of the US office being a lump in an interview. Contrast his performance with that of the equivalent person from Pentax UK. So, yes I completely agree with the premise that IF they handle things well from here on out then it is likely to turn out well. BIG, BIG, if.

04-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Please, quit trying to be a moderator.
So, I think that you and one or two others are misapplying a term, that somehow means I'm trying to moderate? On what planet?
04-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #243
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
So, I think that you and one or two others are misapplying a term, that somehow means I'm trying to moderate? On what planet?
You have stated that if you were moderator you would do something about this thread concerning those that don't agree with you. You can apply the term how ever you want to. Just don't expect me to apply it the way you do.

koolaid

Yeah, well, if I were a moderator here, I wouldn't tolerate "Boycott Pentax" threads on a Pentax fan forum. It's a bit much. If someone wants to switch systems, power to them. If this policy change is enough to motivate them, they'll probably be much happier elsewhere, overpaying for Nikon instead. I see trying to rally others here to do the same as a bit much though.
FFS someone lock this already. All it has devolved into is people posting their opinions and Docrwm insulting them for it.

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.
04-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You have stated that if you were moderator you would do something about this thread concerning those that don't agree with you. You can apply the term how ever you want to. Just don't expect me to apply it the way you do.

:koolaid:
You know, the thing I can't understand is why someone disagreeing with you - or calling you on it when you make insulting statements, degrade another Nation, etc. - is something to be moderated? As an aside, if you don't like my posts - don't read them and certainly don't keep coming into this thread and expecting me to agree with you without new accurate information. So many here seem to believe that because they believe something others MUST believe it once they've explained their position OR that other person is a dolt.

I also do not understand why disagreeing with a policy of Pentax's is a criminal offense, because that is the way some here want it to be treated. The idea that if one disagrees with Pentax to the point where they refuse to buy another item at an outrageous price with no added value results in statements to the effect of 'either shut up or change systems!' is absolutely amazing to me. If I didn't know better I'd think I was dealing with a bunch of Right-Wing Gun-Crazed American's who believe "American - Love it - Or Leave it!" because it is precisely the same mentality only this time about something trivial like loyalty to a brand - a brand - wow.

I'll say it again as clearly as I know how:

I know others here are above the age of majority and therefore have the right to do as they please. I respect that others have different opinions. Please give me the same courtesy. Clear. Thanks, have a nice day.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-21-2012 at 03:38 AM.
04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #245

I only buy legacy glass / mostly FA* lenses,. So add me to the list except mine has more to do with build quality than price.
04-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #246
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturephoto1P Quote
I only buy legacy glass / mostly FA* lenses,. So add me to the list except mine has more to do with build quality than price.

I appreciate the moral support
04-20-2012, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The idea that if one disagrees with Pentax to the point where they refuse to buy another item at an outrageous price with no added value results in statements to the effect of 'either shut up or change systems!' is absolutely amazing to me. It I didn't know better I'd think I was dealing with a bunch of Right-Wing Gun-Crazed American's who believe "American - Love it - Or Leave it!" because it is precisely the same mentality only this time about something trivial like loyalty to a brand - a brand - wow.
The thing is, besides being completely futile and childish, you could be doing something so much more constructive with your time if you gave up the entitled teenager act for a few minutes. You're really upset with the price, warranty period and QC of Pentax? Fine, what can you do? On what front might you make some kind of positive difference?

Prices you obviously can't change. QC we have no idea about under Ricoh, time will have to tell...

So, why not mobilize people to petition for longer warranties in light of this price change? And I don't just mean a thread on here, I mean organize with any like-minded people and target other sites and forums for signatures, too. Send Pentax the message that they need to add value now, that Ricoh is still new to us, and we need some kind of gesture of good faith to justify these changes.

If you put something together that was civil, concise but still very much to the point, I think you'd have much better responses than you've got to these threads of bitching and moaning. I think you could actually get enough signatures on something like that, that Pentax would have to at least acknowledge it, even if they didn't agree.

So, what's the deal? Is that too much effort, or just not who you are? Because what you've shown here by taking everyone's opinions of Pentax so personally is just to make a mess.

Signed,
-An utter bastard
04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #248
Veteran Member

Maybe because all the signatures in the world doesn't mean squat if the lack of sales isn't there to back it up? All any company is out there to do is make money. As long as they are making that money, things are a-ok with them. If there is no financial incentive for them to do something, they will not do it.

04-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #249
Veteran Member

If the change is drastic enough to kill sales, that will happen anyway. It isn't something that would take encouragement.

To seriously try to effect any kind of change, one has to make one's demands known first, and if they're not met, then consider something like a boycott. That isn't what happened here. OP threw a tantrum trying to get people to boycott the brand without making any effort to effect change, first. That accomplishes absolutely nothing, except to have a divisive effect on the forum, and it was made worse by the fact that he took everyone's opinions of the Pentax issue as attacks on him.
04-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #250
Veteran Member

Not necessarily. Some things need a little kick in the butt to get them moving.
04-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #251
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
"To me EVFs are like putting complex computer circuitry in a ballpoint pen to regulate ink flow." - GibbyTheMole
Couldn't help but notice your tag line. Seems like an idea...
hey lets use three pens with primary colors and call it an Inkjet Color Printer.
Naaa, that'd never work.

cheers, off to watch hinterland who's who.
04-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #252
Veteran Member

If the change is drastic enough to kill sales, that will happen anyway. It isn't something that would take encouragement.

To seriously try to effect any kind of change, one has to make one's demands known first, and if they're not met, then consider something like a boycott. That isn't what happened here. OP threw a tantrum trying to get people to boycott the brand without making any effort to effect change, first. That accomplishes absolutely nothing, except to have a divisive effect on the forum, and it was made worse by the fact that he took everyone's opinions of the Pentax issue as attacks on him.
To be honest here if you and some others had just chosen to ignore it on page one this thread never would have degraded to a childish pi$$ing match in the first place.

Plenty of blame to go around. If you want to point fingers go stand in front of the mirror and point.

Just sayin'.
04-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #253
Veteran Member

I'll accept a portion of that. I still stand by my opinions though.
04-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry to loose you but I understand completely.
Yup. I'm semi-actively looking for decent deals on Nikon lenses. I was the second highest bid to a nikon lens a day or two ago.

I'm not going to 'take the pledge' but my faith and enthusiasm for Pentax is severely eroded. I'm currently NOT a brand ambassador... when people ask me what camera to buy, I'll hesitate to mention Pentax.

Pentax seems to have a bit of insanity to work out. The prices are laughable.
04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #255
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
To be honest here if you and some others had just chosen to ignore it on page one this thread never would have degraded to a childish pi$$ing match in the first place.

Plenty of blame to go around. If you want to point fingers go stand in front of the mirror and point.

Just sayin'.
His point ( I made a similar point earlier on the 'Ned hasn't responded yet' thread) is that Ned/Pentax USA might or might not read every last post on this or any other forum. After hundreds of posts on several threads, no one of the 'I am really ticked off' group has formulated a message to Pentax USA directly that I am aware of. Maybe they will listen, maybe they won't but it is folly to assume that 10 or 20 people vowing on a forum not to buy anything more at MSRP will impact anything except perhaps their own enjoyment of the hobby.

Additionally, from direct experience learning to escalate issues in companies, you don't make much progress starting with threats of boycotts. There really is not much of a bargaining position left after that. Changing the approach might effect change. Focus all that energy on that approach. At least you know that the message was delivered.

Gerrit