Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Honest question but what is so wrong about Pentax basically asking retailers to stick closer to the MFRP? I mean why is it some people think that everything they sell must be severely discounted or else forget it? I like low sale prices as much as anyone, but having pretty much the same price for a lens across the board most of the time is that really such a bad thing to want? That is what they're asking if I am reading this right? I just don't see that's all that bad really.
I don't think Pentax is asking... more like coercing.

04-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I feel like I'm in Absurdistan. ...If you want a product but don't like the price, either find a dealer with a better price, or find a different product. Boycotting Nestle makes moral sense. Boycotting Pentax makes no sense.
Absurdistan is Pentax preventing the customer from finding a dealer with a better price, because Pentax won't allow dealers to have "better" prices.

Just because boycotting Pentax makes no sense to you does not mean that boycotting Pentax makes no sense. If folks want to exercise one of their few powers as a consumer by boycotting, they have every right - yes, even moral - to do so. Whether you or I or the Dalai Lama agrees with it is immaterial.
04-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope Pentax stays in business so 5 or 10 years down the road we can use all this glass on dslr bodies that have the dynamic range of film. Seems like if they ever died they'd be restored at some point simply cause of all the glass floating around.
04-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #319
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I hope Pentax stays in business so 5 or 10 years down the road we can use all this glass on dslr bodies that have the dynamic range of film. Seems like if they ever died they'd be restored at some point simply cause of all the glass floating around.
We are already at that point.

04-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not from what I've seen:

Digital vs Film 2011: CAMERA VS. LOG - Testing Dynamic Range
04-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #321
Pentaxian

Looks like he didn't even try to process it properly. Digital cameras by default have overly contrasty tone curves. Turn it down, expose for the highlights, bring up the shadows. In the scene this person is showing, i could easily get the highlights & shadows exposed, with my K-x.

Edit: just reading the name of the web site & his intro in this article, he's clearly biased in favor of film. The author says nothing of his PP, and looks like he's using the test cameras at default settings. Do you really think modern DSLRs are this bad?
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #322
Site Supporter

Clarkvision: Dynamic Range of an Image

This says we were at that point in 2004.
04-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #323
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies with respect to dynamic range (I know this thread got a little OT, sorry). I'll check into all that. I guess I've been misinformed by him and Ken Rockwell

04-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #324
Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies with respect to dynamic range (I know this thread got a little OT, sorry). I'll check into all that. I guess I've been misinformed by him and Ken Rockwell
It's silly. In his page where he says film DR is better than digital, Ken Rockwell actually cites the study where it says that digital has better DR than film.

Don't trust KR. He gets some things really correct and then completely flubs other stuff. Look at his 645D review if you want some laughs.
04-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #325
Veteran Member

Absurdistan is Pentax preventing the customer from finding a dealer with a better price, because Pentax won't allow dealers to have "better" prices.

Just because boycotting Pentax makes no sense to you does not mean that boycotting Pentax makes no sense. If folks want to exercise one of their few powers as a consumer by boycotting, they have every right - yes, even moral - to do so. Whether you or I or the Dalai Lama agrees with it is immaterial.
That is gospel!

If people don't do more than complain, companies will continue to rape the consumer.
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
No offence, but this pledge is silly. By all means exercise your choice to buy 2nd hand or an alternative brand if you feel Pentax MSRP is unreasonable. But to 'pledge' and encourage others to do so, in the belief/hope that you have any influence over Pentax-Ricoh pricing policy is, to be blunt, delusional.

They have a long term strategy to GROW the brand. This policy is a small but necessary part.

They are not going to be swayed by a silly little boycott from a few existing Pentax owners.

How about this as an alternative: "I pledge to buy a new Pentax branded K-mount camera with a full frame sensor?"

Hopefully it is coming, but it will be because it is part of their overall strategy, not just because it has been asked for on this forum.

Nope, you don't allow rape, you punish it.
04-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #327
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
exactly!

I was seriously considering the DA* 50-135/2.8; at $850 it was attractive, but certainly not at $1600 -- it's way over-priced now!

So, I'm getting the Tamron 70-200/2.8 instead -- it's heavier and not WR, but has more reach AND the $770 Tamron's optics match or outclass the $1600 Pentax (see photozone's analysis and web reviews) without the Pentax's SDM breakdown worries. In short --- the Tamron is MUCH BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY -- oh... and it's FF too!

exactly!

Where am I buying the Tamron? On the internet of course.
don't stop there ...look for the Tammy used. then you can afford a used 1.4x or 2x as well.
04-22-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Nope, you don't allow rape, you punish it.
The idea of rape is that it happens to a person, at their damage, against their will. Pentax raising prices doesn't literally take your money and invade your privacy. It doesn't damage your current well-being. If you have LBA I guess you could whine about your fix now being more expensive, but hey, its called an addiction for a reason.
04-22-2012, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #329
Veteran Member

"Hey everybody, don't buy gas on May 15th, OK? KEEP SENDING THIS. Let's all try this, wonderful if it helps.

I'll do it! If running low, just get your gas the day before on May 14 or the day after on May 16. Every little bit helps.

In May 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. The oil companies were brought to their knees and gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight! DO IT, IT WILL REALLY WORK!"
04-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #330
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax has every right to ensure that vendors are not cheapening Pentax product by selling near cost just to push volume. Problem here is that this is quite a sudden change for us. Perhaps Pentax should have introduced this policy only with new products, then gradually applied it to existing product.

That said, Apple users have been used to this kind of MSRP death-grip pricing policy since the early years... all of us who have ever purchased anything Apple know full well not even WalMart is allowed to sell more than a few bucks below the Apple store price. You seldom hear Apple users cry about this hard fact. Yet we still buy iPhones, iPads, iPods, Macs, etc.